Rebuilding Combat Squads - Getting Back to Combat Readiness

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

blueatoll

Rebuilding Combat Squads - Getting Back to Combat Readiness

Post by blueatoll »

So what is the best way to rebuild/replace squads that have been KO'ed in combat. The 7th Marine Regiment took the brunt of an assault on Eniwetok and lost about 65 combat squads. The other 2 Marine Regiments lost about 17 total so I'm assuming the 7th hit the beach 1st.

I want to build this unit back up quickly. What is fastest way to do this? Do I set their planning objective for Pearl Harbor, ship them back to Pearl, and use Rest to have PacFleet heal them up? I probably have enough political points to reassign them to an Amphib Corp HQ and park them in Tulagi (with the HQ).

Does any of that even matter? Should I just have them start planning for Saipan, stick them in a Level 7 port w/a bajillion supplies and wait on "Rest"? How long will it take to get these jarheads back to combat strength?

Thanks for the help.
Yaab

RE: Rebuilding Combat Squads - Getting Back to Combat Readiness

Post by Yaab »

Since it is a regiment, you cannot break it into A/B/C.

Your best bet is to ship this unit to Australia, position it between as many well-supplied bases as possible, set it to Rest and wait. Every three days you should be getting about 15 devices this way.

Also, you can set any Support device your regiment lacks to stockpile globally. Thus, when you get those 15 devices you will be getting i.e 10 marine inf, 2 eng, 2 HMG squads instead of 6 marine inf and 9 support squads. You can prioritse this way combat devices over support and mot support devices.
Xargun

Post by Xargun »

I didn't know about the stockpile trick... I usually pull the unit to a behind the front line base, make sure there is plenty of support. I never used to put them into rest, but have noticed a nice increase in recovery for units in rest mode - so make sure they are behind the lines, as units in rest get mauled if attacked. Also, make sure the base has plenty of supply as replacements use up supply.
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

This stuff (at least most of it is in the manual), but sometimes the manual is a little hard to search (they never seem to use the words that I am looking for!).

Certainly get them preparing for the next target. Otherwise you will never have time to use them before the game runs out! There are three other areas to attend to: recovering the unit stats (morale, etc.), recovering disabled squads/devices, and adding replacements for destroyed squads/devices. Some bullet items.

- 'Rest' mode helps recover morale, and I think recover fatigue and disruption. Those recover even in combat mode, but more slowly. Note that the developers have confirmed that rest mode itself does not help repair squads/devices faster nor draw replacements faster. It only helps by improving various unit stats as mentioned.
- Being in a friendly base helps.
- The more supply the better. Maybe the max is something like 20,000 tons (meaning no benefit above that) or maybe not, but below that number more is definitely better.
- Higher morale, higher experience, lower disruption, lower fatigue all help to repair squads/devices more quickly and help to draw replacements more quickly.
- Leader stats matter. Leadership, inspiration, administrative, and maybe aggressiveness all help with repair and replacements.
- Being within range of an HQ helps. The stats of the HQ's leader help. Maybe the stats of the HQ unit help too (don't know).
- Being within range of a command HQ helps. The stats of the command HQ's leader help. Maybe the stats of the command HQ unit help too (don't know).
- Being not in a hex or base that is affected by malaria or cold helps. If in a base in a malaria zone or in a cold zone then the bigger the base the better to minimize the negative effects.
- If the unit gets bombed/bombarded/attacked/etc. then that will affect the unit's stats and slow down things.

Another note, some units can be divided. For example divisions can be divided into 3 units each about 1/3 of the division. Each of those units get chances to repair/replace things. Some players divide a division for recovery, then rebuild it when ready. One problem is that a unit's leader has a great deal of influence on the process, and the original unit leader winds up in charge of only 1 of the 3 units. That usually means that the other 2 units have poor quality leaders. Just something to be aware of.
blueatoll

Post by blueatoll »

Do I need to set it's target for the city that it is located in like Sydney or can they start their Saipan prep while rebuilding.

Follow-up - I haven't assaulted a 10,000+ garrisoned island before (starving 45,000+ at Rabaul, leapfrogging 20,000+ at Guam). I'm bombing Saipan and Tinian into rubble but have no idea how many Marines I'm going to need to take Saipan. I'm assuming at least 6 full regiments, a bunch of Combat Engineers, 3 Tank Battalions (minimum), and probably Field Artillery. Should I land an Amphibious HQ in second wave? Also, is it better to have one 100 ship TF for amphib assault or should I break up into smaller TFs. I already have a separate primary supply TF landing in addition to supply being carried by main force.

Thanks.
Yaab

Post by Yaab »

If you want to rebuild your combat strength quickly, stockpiling Support squads globally is a desperate measure. It works when your units lack equal amounts of combat and support squads like the Chinese units at start, and they need to take combat devices first, with support squads following later.Of course, such stockpiling means no unit on the map can take any support devices while stockpiling is in effect.
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

...which reminds me that having at least an adequate number of support squads in the hex or base is also a key factor in a unit repairing (for sure) and maybe replacing things faster.
EHansen

Post by EHansen »

Having them at a base with a Command HQ seems to increase their replacement rate also.
Yaab

Post by Yaab »

ORIGINAL: witpqs

...which reminds me that having at least an adequate number of support squads in the hex or base is also a key factor in a unit repairing (for sure) and maybe replacing things faster.

For undisabling, the regiment should be paired with support-laden HQ in the hex.

I haven't seen any difference in the replacement rate if a HQ is present in the hex though. The deciding factor seems to be the vicinity of many well-supplied bases - the more bases the better though I don't know if there is the upper limit coded. With 4-6 bases in the unit's vicinity you should be getting about 15 devices every three days. If support devices are stockpiled, those 15 devices will be entirely combat+eng devices.
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

Being within an HQ's command radius, and being within a Command HQ's command radius each definitely help. How much help is always going to vary.
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

I believe the bonus from having an HQ present means they can check for replacements more often (every day?), rather than every few days. Also, HQs are typically a boatload of support, so it's probably a good idea to have them in the hex to provide plenty of support.

The very first thing you need to do, however, is make sure that the commander of the unit has a high Admin rating.
Xargun

Post by Xargun »

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

I believe the bonus from having an HQ present means they can check for replacements more often (every day?), rather than every few days. Also, HQs are typically a boatload of support, so it's probably a good idea to have them in the hex to provide plenty of support.

The very first thing you need to do, however, is make sure that the commander of the unit has a high Admin rating.

See I thought that if the unit leader failed his Admin role for replacements then if the unit is within range of an HQ, then you get a second role with the HQ leader's Admin skill. I didn't think it gave 'extra' rolls. Can someone confirm / discredit this ? This would make a big difference in my strategies at least.
Yaab

Post by Yaab »

If the unit sits outside base, the Admin skill of the unit's leader has no bearing on how often the unit gets replacements. The replacements arrive every three days no matter who is in charge.

In the bases, it is a totally different story. One of strange things I noticed for in-base replacements is that you can actually receive support squads every day in a base which is under 20,000 supplies and has no command HQ, even though combat devices arrive every three days then.

Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

You should always make sure your combat units have leaders with good Admin ratings, if for no other reason than it recuperates their AV faster by repairing disabled devices faster than a leader with a bad Admin rating.

This is a part of the game where my understanding is hazy and more of a "practical" understanding than an abstract one that can be put into a list of things you must do. The reason I haven't expanded my understanding is that it is a complex process, with a lot going on under the hood, and nobody really has any solid answers on exactly how a particular leader's skill affects a particular ability of an LCU (such as "+1 Admin = +1% chance of passing the check" - nobody knows that sort of thing), so no analysis can be done on optimizing beyond just guesstimating.

The role of commander attributes in drawing replacements is a bit murky to me. I just know that Admin is good for units that are recovering. I don't know anything about the how of replacements being drawn, I just know that I need access to (or be sitting in) a base with 2* required supply. From that point on, I just let the game engine work its magic with Admin/adequate support/HQ checks and so forth. It seems to work fine. An ID can be completely rebuilt in a month or so when I do this.
Yaab

Post by Yaab »

I have to retract some of my words. You do get on average 15 devices every three days if the unit is outside base, but only when the unit is divided into A/B/C. Regiment cannot be divided so I guess it can take 5-6 devices every three days instead.
Mac Linehan

Post by Mac Linehan »

Gents -

I very much appreciate your posts and thoughts on this matter, and am learning much.

Mac

LAV-25 2147
ny59giants

Post by ny59giants »

Leadership quality...
Rear Area Units Refitting
Units can be moved to a rear area to reconstitute (ideally out of a malaria or cold zone or in a base large enough to negate the effects). If the units are in the rear area to restore disabled elements, reduce fatigue, and replace lost elements, assign unit leaders using the following order of priorities:
• Administration – Influences ability to use Supply to reduce Disruption and Fatigue.
• Inspiration – Influences fatigue reduction, morale reduction due to fatigue, disabled elements destroyed due to fatigue, and assault value for attack and defense.
• Leadership – Influences experience gain (this is unimportant if the unit has already reached the maximum training experience).
• Of small import, Land Skill – Influences attacking & defending LCU assault value, firing accuracy and experience gain.
• No other skills or qualities have any influence

If your LCU is within the range of a Command HQ, then it can receive replacements daily. If in range of only an Army or Corp HQ then its once every three days.
[center]Image[/center]
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

Just leave it where it is. As long as it is a decent base. Just make sure there is plenty of supply. If you are prepping to invade another enemy hex, the unit is going to fill up long before you fully prep anyways.

No need to waste shipping and time moving the unit to the rear. It is going to fill up fast enough for your purpose.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
Yaab

Post by Yaab »

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

Leadership quality...
Units can be moved to a rear area to reconstitute (ideally out of a malaria or cold zone or in a base large enough to negate the effects). If the units are in the rear area to restore disabled elements, reduce fatigue, and replace lost elements, assign unit leaders using the following order of priorities:
• Administration – Influences ability to use Supply to reduce Disruption and Fatigue.
• Inspiration – Influences fatigue reduction, morale reduction due to fatigue, disabled elements destroyed due to fatigue, and assault value for attack and defense.
• Leadership – Influences experience gain (this is unimportant if the unit has already reached the maximum training experience).
• Of small import, Land Skill – Influences attacking & defending LCU assault value, firing accuracy and experience gain.

If your LCU is within the range of a Command HQ, then it can receive replacements daily. If in range of only an Army or Corp HQ then its once every three days.

I did a short test involving the 56th Chinese Corps which sits outside base three hexes away from Chungking, where the Command HQ is located. I processed the turn and on the next turn the tooltip message says "replacements delayed - 3 days". So, if the unit is outside base and is within the Command HQ range ( the Chinese HQ has range 9) it still receives replacements every three days.
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: Yaab

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

Leadership quality...

I did a short test involving the 56th Chinese Corps which sits outside base three hexes away from Chungking, where the Command HQ is located. I processed the turn and on the next turn the tooltip message says "replacements delayed - 3 days". So, if the unit is outside base and is within the Command HQ range ( the Chinese HQ has range 9) it still receives replacements every three days.

There may have been a failed check, but this is actually my experience/observation also.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”