Advice for new players?

Share your best strategies and tactics with other players by posting them here.

Moderator: MOD_PanzerCorps

happyloaf

Advice for new players?

Post by happyloaf »

I finished the tutorial campaign no problem. I marginal victories the 1st grand campaign scenario. I'm now going into the west and got destroyed on the next scenario. Any advice? The fortified bunker type buildings destroyed me. The rivers at the start are hard to cross. Last, the objective in the middle of the forest lines up my units and I cannot move forward.

So advice for new players?
The_Drill_SGT

RE: Advice for new players?

Post by The_Drill_SGT »

please provide the name of the scenario and I'll provide advice
happyloaf

Post by happyloaf »

Low countries. I have no experience with this series previously. Any advice is appreciated. I'm new to PC wargaming.
The_Drill_SGT

Post by The_Drill_SGT »

Focus on forcing the river up North, and if you have a few units, a Southern secondary attack. Don't worry about the Forest in the center.

Do you have an 88? If so, put it up North along with any engineers and all your Air.
RPKUPK

Post by RPKUPK »

See extensive discussion under "Grand Campaign 1943--need help."
joe6778

Post by joe6778 »

I'm an experienced Panzer General and Panzer Corps player and I've played the Grand Campaign up to the East 1944 Babruysk scenario.

The Campaigns up to East/West 1943 are pretty easy even at Colonel difficulty.

But beware: after that, it's a total exercise in futility. The Soviets have overwhelming force and my whole core was annihilated at Babruysk finally ending the torture.

None of the advice I received here helped because the forces against you are about 5 times what you have and your FW190s, Tigers, and Panthers are no match for what they throw at you wave after wave after wave.

I started 1943 with over 40,000 prestige and finished with none. If I played the whole Grand Campaign at Lieutenant difficulty, I MIGHT have had a chance.

Have fun!
RPKUPK

Post by RPKUPK »

Hey, Joe, whataya know?!
Please go to Slitherine.com....Forum....Panzer Corp AARs...and look for Deducters series of the various East war years. He has a very detailed two part You Tube video of the Babruysk battle amongst many others. He does use a mod though on his troops. A challenging but beatable battle by a careful **disciplined** patient experienced approach of breaking the Ruskie air onslaught with fighters supported by **AA**, the defensive battle by defending entrenched artillery-supported infantry (behind rivers if possible) at the several urban objectives, then a brisk panzer counterattack.
joe6778

Post by joe6778 »

I deleted all my saved games and I'm restarting the Grand Campaign from '39. I guess I'm a glutton for punishment.

I previously added a mod (I think it was Deducter's) and I'm wondering if it made the game more difficult. Anyway, I think I uninstalled the mod and I'm starting all over again at Lieutenant to see if I can do better.

I'll also check out Deducter's AAR.

There are so many things I like about the game, but if I can't complete the campaign on Colonel, it will be a frustrating experience.
James Ward

Post by James Ward »

ORIGINAL: joe6778

I deleted all my saved games and I'm restarting the Grand Campaign from '39. I guess I'm a glutton for punishment.

I previously added a mod (I think it was Deducter's) and I'm wondering if it made the game more difficult. Anyway, I think I uninstalled the mod and I'm starting all over again at Lieutenant to see if I can do better.

There are so many things I like about the game, but if I can't complete the campaign on Colonel, it will be a frustrating experience.

Are you playing with the new rules? If so prestige is hard to come by in the later DLC, particularly from '43 on. You can go to the Advanced tab between scenarios and switch to the 1.14 rules. Remember to check the Reform units box when you start each DLC if you want the ability to keep your heroes. Each new year defaults to 1.2 rules and no reform units.

Also as you get into 43-44 on the East you need to be patient in a lot of scenarios, particularly the ones where there are just hordes of Russians. Be patient, don't advance where you don't have to and take the occasional MV to preserve your units.
joe6778

Post by joe6778 »

ORIGINAL: James Ward

Are you playing with the new rules? If so prestige is hard to come by in the later DLC, particularly from '43 on. You can go to the Advanced tab between scenarios and switch to the 1.14 rules. Remember to check the Reform units box when you start each DLC if you want the ability to keep your heroes. Each new year defaults to 1.2 rules and no reform units.

Also as you get into 43-44 on the East you need to be patient in a lot of scenarios, particularly the ones where there are just hordes of Russians. Be patient, don't advance where you don't have to and take the occasional MV to preserve your units.

I'll keep this in mind.

I'm wondering if the mod I installed made the game much harder because since I restarted the title screen went back to the original. I thought I had previously uninstalled the mod, but maybe that was the problem.

I finished '39 at Lieutenant and breezed through (except I lost an SE unit[:@] )

I was very patient in the later campaigns, but the DV victory conditions were impossible because when I tried to take other victory hexes for a DV, I was counter attacked by swarms of Russian units.
James Ward

Post by James Ward »

I'll keep this in mind.

I'm wondering if the mod I installed made the game much harder because since I restarted the title screen went back to the original. I thought I had previously uninstalled the mod, but maybe that was the problem.

I finished '39 at Lieutenant and breezed through (except I lost an SE unit[:@] )

I was very patient in the later campaigns, but the DV victory conditions were impossible because when I tried to take other victory hexes for a DV, I was counter attacked by swarms of Russian units.

The mods may have changed something. I use the GME to load mods. Have you tried that? It is real easy to use once you get it set up and you can tell at a glance what you are playing. There are good instructions for installing and using it over at Slitherine.
I'm no expert so there were a few scenarios where I was happy to get the MV. Some of the 43-45 scenarios have tons of Russians that don't seem to activate or activate in batches as long as you don't approach them. This really helps as you can then deal with smaller hordes.
joe6778

Post by joe6778 »

I notice that even when I don't approach victory hexes, the game sometimes triggers additional counter attacks.

After looking over the battlefield after a scenario, I see that I would trigger many more enemy units when approaching DV victory hexes, so I settle for MV and try to hold my ground.

What's GME? I think I'll try to complete the vanilla Grand Campaign before trying the mods.
James Ward

Post by James Ward »

I notice that even when I don't approach victory hexes, the game sometimes triggers additional counter attacks.

After looking over the battlefield after a scenario, I see that I would trigger many more enemy units when approaching DV victory hexes, so I settle for MV and try to hold my ground.

What's GME? I think I'll try to complete the vanilla Grand Campaign before trying the mods.

GME is the Generic Mod Enabler (I think). Anyway it's a program that lets you install a different mod for PC real easy. At one time I had 5-6 mods on my computer and to switch I just opened the GME and enabled the mod I wanted to play.
James Ward

Post by James Ward »

Here is a link to the GME. If you use mods it's great.

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27158
Pariah

Post by Pariah »

I just bought the game today after playing the demo. This information is great.
Thank you
[center]
Before all else, be armed.

-Niccolo Machiavelli-
[/center]

Return to “The War Room”