HQ Bombing

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, elmo3

Bozo_the_Clown

HQ Bombing

Post by Bozo_the_Clown »

I have noticed that protecting an HQ with a regiment is practically like not protecting it at all (as illustrated by the two battle reports). What's responsible for this in the code? Is it the unit with the most men that gets the damage when you bomb a stack? I never get results like this if I bomb a stack with a division in it.

Attachments
HQBombing.jpg
HQBombing.jpg (196.51 KiB) Viewed 119 times
Peltonx

RE: HQ Bombing

Post by Peltonx »

Why people do the house rules with Bombing airbase and HQ's 1 to 3 times per turn.

It is very easy to kill off 50% of the German or Russain officers by 1943.

Air rule set has allot of cheese in it.
Beta Tester WitW & WitE
Bozo_the_Clown

Post by Bozo_the_Clown »

Why people do the house rules with Bombing airbase and HQ's 1 to 3 times per turn.

That's why we are using your house rules in this game. But I would like to understand the logic behind it.
Gabriel B.

Post by Gabriel B. »

iF someone would bomb my hq in 1941 i would consider it a favour .

I got about one good corps leader per army ...
no wonder they lost the war [:D]
gradenko2k

Post by gradenko2k »

What happens if so many leaders are killed off that there's no one to replace?
Bozo_the_Clown

Post by Bozo_the_Clown »

I hear a lot about leaders getting killed. But I have to say in my career as SHC leader I've only been able to kill one Axis general. And that one only because the HQ was in the open.
morvael

Post by morvael »

The more SUs in HQ, the less chance of leader kill.
Toidi

Post by Toidi »

ORIGINAL: Bozo_the_Clown

I have noticed that protecting an HQ with a regiment is practically like not protecting it at all (as illustrated by the two battle reports). What's responsible for this in the code? Is it the unit with the most men that gets the damage when you bomb a stack? I never get results like this if I bomb a stack with a division in it.

I think that the exact unit being bombed is chosen from the stack. Not sure on the exact mechanics, Morvael will know better. I got results like that with 3-stacked hq when I was lucky.

As for the chance to kill the general, in my game with Monical I think I make approximately 1 attacks on HQ per turn and has not inflicted any leader losses so far (which is something I am very happy about - I attack HQ because they are an easy target, not because I want to kill the general).
Bozo_the_Clown

Post by Bozo_the_Clown »

Very interesting. I had no idea that was the case.
I attack HQ because they are an easy target, not because I want to kill the general

Same here. For me it's just the numbers.
Bozo_the_Clown

Post by Bozo_the_Clown »

I got results like that with 3-stacked hq when I was lucky.

I think you are right. The following attack on T2 was against a stack with a division.

Attachments
HQ3.jpg
HQ3.jpg (94.74 KiB) Viewed 119 times
Flaviusx

Post by Flaviusx »

ORIGINAL: morvael

Interesting, didn't know that myself. What's the change in chance here per SU?
WitE Alpha Tester
rmonical

Post by rmonical »

As for the chance to kill the general, in my game with Monical I think I make approximately 1 attacks on HQ per turn and has not inflicted any leader losses so far (which is something I am very happy about - I attack HQ because they are an easy target, not because I want to kill the general).

I think I have a PVO AA regiment in every army HQ now.
Shupov

Post by Shupov »

Stacking airbases with HQ's greatly reduces casualties as well.
STALINADE

The real RED soda!
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

I really don't know why this is still a problem. Surely all it would take is multiplying the chances of a leader getting kill by .01 or some such in the code. [8|]
morvael

Post by morvael »

ORIGINAL: Flaviusx

Interesting, didn't know that myself. What's the change in chance here per SU?

Each element counts, some counts more than others. This sum is used in some random tests, I would expect the chance goes down when more elements are present. I can't give you the details unfortunately, as I don't remember them.
gingerbread

Post by gingerbread »

Sounds like keeping 1 RR Brigade in every Soviet HQ so that there are lots of alternate targets would be something to do.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”