The Black Effect

The new Cold War turned hot wargame from On Target Simulations, now expanded with the Player's Edition! Choose the NATO or Soviet forces in one of many scenarios or two linked campaigns. No effort was spared to model modern warfare realistically, including armor, infantry, helicopters, air support, artillery, electronic warfare, chemical and nuclear weapons. An innovative new asynchronous turn order means that OODA loops and various effects on C3 are accurately modeled as never before.

Moderators: IronMikeGolf, Mad Russian, WildCatNL, cbelva, IronManBeta, CapnDarwin

Tazak

The Black Effect

Post by Tazak »

Just finished reading the Black Effect by Harvey Black. It follows a number of British units and the 10th Guards Tank Division in a cold war turned hot setting, very good read even with a few typos (M109A2 using 152mm gun or swingfire missiles that weight 555kg).

While it covers NORTHAG it also touches on 11 ACR in a couple of chapters, very good read and I'd recommend it to anyone looking for an insight into how the BAOR was trained to fight delaying actions using combined arms. While he covers 'combat teams' company sized units with 2 troops of tanks and 1-2 platoons of infantry, the overall picture can easily be turned into a campaign.
AUCTO SPLENDORE RESURGO
CapnDarwin

RE: The Black Effect

Post by CapnDarwin »

Sounds good. I smell more scenarios. [:D]
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC
Panta_slith

Post by Panta_slith »

Is The Black Effect the follow of The Red Effect, by the same author?
Panta Astiazarán
Tazak

Post by Tazak »

ORIGINAL: Panta

Is The Black Effect the follow of The Red Effect, by the same author?

Think it is part of that tribology
AUCTO SPLENDORE RESURGO
TheWombat_matrixforum

Post by TheWombat_matrixforum »

Yes, and The Blue Effect is due next year I think, to complete it.

It's actually quite decent, as these things go; certainly, I enjoyed it more than Chieftains, which I thought was a bit lacking in several areas, particularly the ending. Harvey Black writes engagingly, though as noted there are some typos that give evidence of the books I think being self-edited, or at least, not thoroughly and professionally edited. And when he tries to write dialogue for the US soldiers...well, let's just say that US GIs don't generally talk bout taking a kip or call each other mate, etc.
MSGalileo

Post by MSGalileo »

I read red and black effect last week, now I am on the Armaggedon song's from Andy Farman, a trilogy in four volumes [:)]. Some good ideas for ground scenarios (we follow UK, US, Russian, French, Australian, ..... ground/navy/air guys and girls in the WW III around the globe) but the author have a lack (well a big one) of knowledge about the naval hardware and warfare and the characters did not last very long in the books, worst than reading Games of Thrones , between those killed by gas, nuke, mortar, eaten by caiman, crush by a train, .... at the end there is few left. But the books are very enjoyable (lot of british humor) [:)]

http://www.amazon.co.uk/ANDY-FARMAN/e/B00CK3D6EW
Modern Naval Warfare Advisor
LuckyJim1010

Post by LuckyJim1010 »

I'm reading the Red Effect at the moment and to be brutally honest there is a reason why Editor's and proof readers are employed.

Overlong, complicated prose is really making it difficult for me to finish it and I love the subject matter.

The author's obvious knowledge of the Cold War years and it's possible hot war scenarios is first rate but is there really a need to describe every action in minute detail.

Two men getting in a car takes an entire paragraph. Another paragraph describes a briefcase.

If this is what the author does in such mundane matters I am actually dreading what it is like when the Steel starts flying.
TheWombat_matrixforum

ORIGINAL: LuckyJim1010

I'm reading the Red Effect at the moment and to be brutally honest there is a reason why Editor's and proof readers are employed.

Overlong, complicated prose is really making it difficult for me to finish it and I love the subject matter.

The author's obvious knowledge of the Cold War years and it's possible hot war scenarios is first rate but is there really a need to describe every action in minute detail.

Two men getting in a car takes an entire paragraph. Another paragraph describes a briefcase.

If this is what the author does in such mundane matters I am actually dreading what it is like when the Steel starts flying.

It actually gets better, as the detail tends to focus on actions and combat rather than minutia. But yes indeed, these books scream "Edit Me!" at the top of their little pulpy lungs.
LuckyJim1010

Post by LuckyJim1010 »

Thanks Wombat, makes me want to carry on with it [:)]

A friend of mine has self published his book. I asked him how many times he rewrote it and his reply was 'None, it didn't need editing'

Says it all really.

Regarding Chieftans - did you get the impression it was half finished ? I reread it after all these years and I must admit I wished I hadn't. Some of the story lines just stop with no real resolution.
TheWombat_matrixforum

A friend of mine has self published his book. I asked him how many times he rewrote it and his reply was 'None, it didn't need editing'

Says it all really.

Regarding Chieftans - did you get the impression it was half finished ? I reread it after all these years and I must admit I wished I hadn't. Some of the story lines just stop with no real resolution.

With Chieftains, I did feel sort of let down. The thing seemed to just...stop, and yeah, a lot of the storylines sort of just petered out. I get that the author was making a point--I think--about nuclear war, but I'd have been more interested if he had gone a bit further at least to describe the aftermath of those first strikes at least.
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

ORIGINAL: TheWombat

Says it all really.

With Chieftains, I did feel sort of let down. The thing seemed to just...stop, and yeah, a lot of the storylines sort of just petered out. I get that the author was making a point--I think--about nuclear war, but I'd have been more interested if he had gone a bit further at least to describe the aftermath of those first strikes at least.

+1

Good Hunting.

MR
The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.
Combatengineerjrgmail

Post by Combatengineerjrgmail »

Electronic publishing has reduce the barriers to getting in 'print' however it comes at the cost that you describe. However without electronic publishing, with all its warts, we'd not have even a small chance at a series like the Red\Black Effect. They would stand no chance in the 'print' world. I'll take them warts and all over nothing.

LuckyJim1010

Post by LuckyJim1010 »

Have to post one last time on this thread - sorry but the Black Effect is just too badly written for me to carry on.

Heavy, over the top descriptions of mundane things, an example of which is the F4 QRA launch and intercept of a lone Bear over the North Sea.

Goes on for about 3 pages with absolutely no tension, depth or insight.

And then when the RAF F4's get told a big raid (30+ aircraft inbound) is on its way the narrative just stops. Dead. Bit like that.

The ground combat description is just one huge wall of text. Does it really need to tell you the unit designation of every single unit that is going into action.

Apparently Word War 3 in Central Europe consists of Milan positions, a few PBI's in 432's, a smattering of Chieftans, the 'Heavy' losses of Warsaw Pact aircraft ( 2 SU-25's) over a major battlefield and O Groups where everyone is almost on the brink of a jolly good time.

Please just charge 50 pence, I might buy the last one in the trilogy just out of pity.
TigerTC

Post by TigerTC »

I've enjoyed both the Red and Black Effects, but I agree with most of the criticisms with the poor (or maybe not just polished enough) writing and pointlessness of some of the stories.

Remember the East German couple trying to escape in the first book? Great description of the IGB zone. But absolutely pointless.
TheWombat_matrixforum

LOL, yeah, it's hardly Proust. Or even Rousseau. But it's ok for cheap I guess. But man, it'd be so much better with an editor.
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

Seriously, The War in 2020 by Ralph Peters is one you don't want to miss. I got a copy for $5. He's the guy that's got the column in Armchair General magazine.
TigerTC

Post by TigerTC »

ORIGINAL: rosseau

Seriously, The War in 2020 by Ralph Peters is one you don't want to miss. I got a copy for $5. He's the guy that's got the column in Armchair General magazine.
The War in 2020

Thanks, just added to my Amazon Wish List. His book Red Army is an unappreciated masterpiece, and I really enjoyed his recent book about a future US war against the Muslim caliphate in what was left of Isreal -- I just can't remember the name of it.
TheWombat_matrixforum

Red Army is a great look at the Soviet side of the hill, for sure. The political analysis doesn't hold up as well--I guess, given what happened, the Euros were more correct in their assessment of the threat than Peters gives them credit for!--but the tactical/operational stuff is pretty good.
FOW

Post by FOW »

It's been about 15 years since I've read any Cold War books - this game which I bought a week ago has rekindled my interest. Two books that vividly stick in my mind are:

1. First Clash: Combat Close-Up in World War Three by Kenneth Macksey, ISBN 0425107566
2. Dragons at War: 2-34 Infantry in the Mojave by Daniel Bolger (Old school description of tactical actions at the National Training Center in the 1980s. Still a good primer for understanding battalion level operations. Clearly describes keys to succeed and fail at NTC with implications on how to fight in a hybrid environment. A matter-of-fact record of an Army unit's training experience at the National Training Center in the Mojave Desert in the mid-80s).
ETF

Post by ETF »

ok ordering online at amazon....any other good ones on the cold war?
My Top Matrix Games 1) CMO MP?? 2) WITP/AE 3) SOW 4) Combat Mission 5) Armor Brigade

Twitter
https://twitter.com/TacticWargamer

Return to “Flashpoint Campaigns Classic”