Japanese starting force dispositions

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Speedysteve

Japanese starting force dispositions

Post by Speedysteve »

Hi all,

I've been wondering, as I'm planning my first Japanese AE move, how much knowledge, intel and recon the Japanese had of the Allied dispositions in the SRA? We all know the Japs needed more force on Luzon but they seemed very well versed and skilled on conquering the rest of the SRA. Does anyone have any knowledge as to how much of this was down to Japanese skill/training, Allied lack of preparedness OR was it down to Japanese foreknowledge of what was where and as such what force to allocate to overcome it?

Thanks
WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester
Nami Koshino

RE: Japanese starting force dispositions

Post by Nami Koshino »

ORIGINAL: Speedy

OR was it down to Japanese foreknowledge of what was where and as such what force to allocate to overcome it?

Thanks

The Japanese had diverse sources in pre-war intelligence. Traditional human intelligence, such as spies and informants, played an important role as the war neared. Japanese consulates in targeted areas collected information and passed it back to Japan for war planning purposes. Overflights of British bases in Malaya weren't uncommon. Japanese "tourists" were also active, and Japanese fishing vessels conducted extensive hydrographic surveys of potential landing areas. Japanese intelligence officers posed as foresters along the Thai-Burma border to scout out invasion routes. The large Japanese commercial community in Manila was a valuable source of information. Even in the Solomons, native scouts on Guadalcanal recognized a Japanese officer, "Ishimoto", who had posed as an itinerant carpenter at Tulagi.

The down side was that all these planted sources dried up pretty quickly when the war started.
Rice is a great snack when you're hungry and you want 2,000 of something to eat.
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

Allied lack of preparation + ingrained racially motivated disdain for the Japanese = six months of Japanese free reign.

As you allude to, the majority of Japanese forces (especially their army) was not especially impressive. Plenty of stamina and drive in the individual infantry soldier, but lets not forget the very flimsy background against which they won their early victories.
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

ORIGINAL: Terminus

Allied lack of preparation + ingrained racially motivated disdain for the Japanese = six months of Japanese free reign.

As you allude to, the majority of Japanese forces (especially their army) was not especially impressive. Plenty of stamina and drive in the individual infantry soldier, but lets not forget the very flimsy background against which they won their early victories.

Yes, I just started a brand new campaign after finishing up a four year marathon. I am just blown away looking over my first day's dispostions. The Allies were just so pitifully weak in the Pacific and Asia.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

Enjoy it while you can lol. It will not last [:(]

Of course they did have this little issue over in Europe that they were having some minor troubles with at the time too [:)]
Speedysteve

Post by Speedysteve »

Thanks for the replies guys.
WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”