RUNNING POLL - gameplay features [Feature Requests Go Here]

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

epidemic

RE: RUNNING POLL - gameplay features

Post by epidemic »

This has happened to me many times as well. Both classified biologics and "false contacts" have been automatically targeted and killed by ASW helicopters, thereby wasting a limited number of torpedoes, not to mention needlessly exposing the ASW heli to potential attack.
epidemic

Post by epidemic »

A nice option would be the ability to filter symbols in the main window display. The basic ability to display or hide particular icons is seemingly already there given that there is a game option to display/ghost/hide sonobuoys. Of course, going through the game options dialog is not very convenient. So, a more general and useable implementation would be a checkbox list widget on the side that would allow you to display/ghost/hide each of the different classes of symbols on the screen.

"Ability to hide reference points" only has two votes in the poll right now. I wonder if the more general "ability to show/ghost/hide main window symbols" (including reference points) would get more votes?

Also, just a very small adjunct request to the above: I'd rather not be able to mouse-select symbols that I've chosen to hide (e.g., sonobuoys).

Thank you. Love the game.

epidemic

Post by epidemic »

ORIGINAL: El Savior
ORIGINAL: thbrix
I am playing with the editor, and i miss the ability to "Draw" on the map. I would like to draw boxes, circles, corridors and write text, all this in different colours. I need this to be able to define areas of responsibility, airspacelimits and so forth.

Excellent idea, second that. I miss map tools. Range circle tool (besed on unit and ref points or just right click are draw). Ref point can now use to write text. Also bearing tool with degress, etc. Simple line tool with range would be cool too.

I'll "third" that. It would be convenient to have map tools similar to Silent Hunter for things like positioning your subs along the enemy's anticipated course.
sparty_slith

Post by sparty_slith »

Seriously? Pick one? I like how stability and performance are on here... Were you presumably done dealing with those?
Dimitris

Post by Dimitris »

ORIGINAL: sparty
Seriously? Pick one? I like how stability and performance are on here... Were you presumably done dealing with those?

Yes, sparty, pick one because otherwise everyone votes everything and the poll becomes meaningless.

I think you're correct on the stability, it's not been a concern for a while now so I think we can remove it.

Sim-engine performance has jumped by leaps and bounds, which is why it has been removed from the poll, but UI performance (pan/ zoom etc.) is still a concern for some people so we're still looking for ways to improve it.

Thanks.
Dimitris

Post by Dimitris »

Removed "improve stability". If you voted for this you can now vote again.
Dimitris

Post by Dimitris »

Also removed "Ability to disable map-cursor info box (aka big black box of data)", "Ability to hide reference points" and "Ability to use dipping sonar manually" as these have now been implemented. If you voted for these you can vote again.
sparty_slith

Post by sparty_slith »

ORIGINAL: Sunburn
ORIGINAL: sparty

Yes, sparty, pick one because otherwise everyone votes everything and the poll becomes meaningless.

I think you're correct on the stability, it's not been a concern for a while now so I think we can remove it.

Sim-engine performance has jumped by leaps and bounds, which is why it has been removed from the poll, but UI performance (pan/ zoom etc.) is still a concern for some people so we're still looking for ways to improve it.

Thanks.

That's definitely good news.

A technique, not sure if you can do it in the forums though, is to create forced rankings. Tell people to pick their top 3 from a much larger list. The picks are weighted by score. You still force folks to pick their most important, but you get some data beyond that initial push. It's very valuable for this type of survey.

EDIT - I bought based on your response! :)
Amono

Post by Amono »

Sprint and drift ASW patrol mission behavior for subs(also subs in ASUW patrol) and surf ships.

Hotkey for ordering intercept without declaring contact hostile. Like the F1 auto attack works.

Keep up the great work team[&o]
deepdive

Post by deepdive »

Thank you Devs, game runs much better now.[:)]

I would like to have docking for all ships, as they all have a boat and/or captains gig.

Thanks.
deepdive

Post by deepdive »

Will flightprofile be fixed?, i mean smarter RTB, an aircraft on RTB should get out of hostile airspace ASAP and cruise altitude/max altitude should be realistic or is it impossible for this program?

In H3 DBeditor, i gave all AC engines different max altitude to make it appear more realistic, problem then was that i could recognize AC contact type by its altitude.

Bjørn

Dimitris

Post by Dimitris »

ORIGINAL: deepdive

Will flightprofile be fixed?, i mean smarter RTB, an aircraft on RTB should get out of hostile airspace ASAP and cruise altitude/max altitude should be realistic or is it impossible for this program?

In H3 DBeditor, i gave all AC engines different max altitude to make it appear more realistic, problem then was that i could recognize AC contact type by its altitude.

Bjørn

Look here: fb.asp?m=3502826
deepdive

Post by deepdive »

Sweet!!
supercharger

Post by supercharger »

I've been a regular follower of the forums on Command for quite a while, well before the release. I've had the game since the release but this is my first post. First of all, I want to thank the developers. It's a really great product and has been getting better and better with each update. I really appreciate that they listen to users ideas and requests, always respond with respect, and implement many of these ideas and requests into the updates.

I have an idea to make reference points better. I think the way ref points are used in the game is very powerful and allows users immense control. But I also feel that often the large number of ref points in scenarios can get cumbersome and there could be ways to improve the user's ability to manage them. The recently added option to hide ref points and to make them smaller has been a great help to declutter the map. But I think further organization of them could be of additional benefit in using the ref points in mission editor.

My basic idea is as follows.

1) When user presses ctrl right click, instead of just the current 2 options (add ref point and define area), create an additional option to add multiple ref points. If this option is selected user can add as many ref points as they want by clicking on the map. Each click creates a new ref point. When finished user double clicks or presses esc. The added benefit of this over the current define area is that the user could more easily create areas that can be more complex than just a rectangle.

2) Create the ability to group ref points. Grouped ref points could then be selected as a group using a new pull down menu option under missions+Ref. points. This would greatly facilitate selecting the desired ref points for a particular mission in a scenario that potentially contains hundreds of ref points.

3) An easy way to name grouped ref points. If ref points are created using define area or add mult ref points and grouped (as per requests #1 and 2), the group of newly created ref points are automatically similarly named. If user names grouped ref points patrolzone1 then ref points are named i.e. patrolzone1-1, patrolzone1-2, patrolzone1-2, etc.

These ideas are just a concept for a way to improve ref points and the idea is considered, the developer (and others who hopefully agree with the idea and make comments) would of course determine specifics.

orca

Post by orca »

seems like something like this would be nice to have
BigDuke66

Post by BigDuke66 »

All points would be good.
But above all a usable GUI would be nice, all those windows are just annoying especially as most of them could be moved to the side bar that is barely occupied by something useful and if your make some things depicted in those windows smaller(do I really have to have such a big area for setting altitude? No!) you could cramp almost all into that side bar.

And if you really want to stick to those windows at least make them dockable on the screen edge with the option of appearing & disappearing when the user moves to mouse on that part of the edge.
Also the DB viewer should be a "real" extra window, meaning that it should move behind the main window if I click on it and not just be in the way like all the other screens.
And btw the db viewer should show the unit on a click no matter if it already shows a unit or not, having to close it every time before click on a new unit so that it pops up again with that new unit instead of simply showing the old one is so damned annoying.
Agathosdaimon

Post by Agathosdaimon »

hi,
i hope that cmano will have more realistic cloud cover in future - not just a single blanket of the same weather like at the present as the game can stretch over large areas where weathers systems would obviously varying

if this was maybe something which could be added for the scenario editor even
guanotwozero

Post by guanotwozero »

[Suggestion] Relative Reference Points.

RPs could be linked to a moving vessel, e.g. a carrier, so that, say, a CAP area could move with the carrier. Similarly sub patrol areas could be linked to a vessel it's screening, and there may well be other examples where its useful.

Sure, we can keep moving them manually, but one of the advantages of a computer game is to remove the donkey-work for players [:)]

Also...

[Suggestion] Selecting a unit highlights its mission area.

At present, if I select a mission in the Mission Editor, its area is highlighted on the map. If I then click a different unit on the map (not part of that mission), the original mission area remains highlighted. It would be nicer if the subsequent unit-click highlighted ITS mission area, if any.

Edit:
OK, I RTFM and found it, thanks!
Dimitris

Post by Dimitris »

ORIGINAL: guanotwozero

RPs could be linked to a moving vessel, e.g. a carrier, so that, say, a CAP area could move with the carrier. Similarly sub patrol areas could be linked to a vessel it's screening, and there may well be other examples where its useful.

Sure, we can keep moving them manually, but one of the advantages of a computer game is to remove the donkey-work for players [:)]

This has already been included since v1.00, take a look at the manual.
RoryAndersonCDT

Post by RoryAndersonCDT »

ORIGINAL: guanotwozero

Also...

[Suggestion] Selecting a unit highlights its mission area.

At present, if I select a mission in the Mission Editor, its area is highlighted on the map. If I then click a different unit on the map (not part of that mission), the original mission area remains highlighted. It would be nicer if the subsequent unit-click highlighted ITS mission area, if any.

Edit:
OK, I RTFM and found it, thanks!

Tomcat also has a video about this here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EYLkpIdaNw
Command Dev Team
Technical Lead

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”