Panther Games and Command Ops mentioned in book "Studying Conflict through Simulation Games"

Command Ops: Battles From The Bulge takes the highly acclaimed Airborne Assault engine back to the West Front for the crucial engagements during the Ardennes Offensive. Test your command skills in the fiery crucible of Airborne Assault’s “pausable continuous time” uber-realistic game engine. It's up to you to develop the strategy, issue the orders, set the pace, and try to win the laurels of victory in the cold, shadowy Ardennes.
Command Ops: Highway to the Reich brings us to the setting of one of the most epic and controversial battles of World War II: Operation Market-Garden, covering every major engagement along Hell’s Highway, from the surprise capture of Joe’s Bridge by the Irish Guards a week before the offensive to the final battles on “The Island” south of Arnhem.

Moderators: Panther Paul, Arjuna

johndoesecond

Panther Games and Command Ops mentioned in book "Studying Conflict through Simulation Games"

Post by johndoesecond »

Just posted on @PantherGames, Via @RSWars

Attachments
PGinstud..conflict.jpg
PGinstud..conflict.jpg (89.78 KiB) Viewed 251 times
navwarcol

RE: Panther Games and Command Ops mentioned in book "Studying Conflict through Simulation Games"

Post by navwarcol »

This book was why I purchased the game.
BletchleyGeek

RE: Panther Games and Command Ops mentioned in book "Studying Conflict through Simulation Games"

Post by BletchleyGeek »

ORIGINAL: navwarcol

This book was why I purchased the game.

If you're looking for a reading recommendation for the upcoming Christmas holidays, this one is quite good as well

The Defense of Moscow 1941: The Northern Flank
Jack Radey and Charles Sharp
http://www.amazon.com/Defense-Moscow-19 ... jack+radey

Radey is a historian and also a "cult" wargame designer:

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamedesig ... jack-radey

His Korsun Pocket game is the stuff of legends!
Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

Good ol' Jack Radey. He and I spent a bit of time together in the late 1980s after a couple of the Origin game conventions I attended. I stayed at his place in Oakland. He's a great guy with a wicked sense of humour. I spent many hours playing Korsun Pocket with Ian Trout of SSG fame. Sadly Ian's no longer with us.
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
BletchleyGeek

Post by BletchleyGeek »

ORIGINAL: Arjuna

Good ol' Jack Radey. He and I spent a bit of time together in the late 1980s after a couple of the Origin game conventions I attended. I stayed at his place in Oakland. He's a great guy with a wicked sense of humour.

Gotta love one footnote, on the topic of the fresh Soviet divisions brought forward after the smashing German success in Vyazma, that notes dryly "Germans used to call 'Siberians' to any Russian with a fur cap on".
ORIGINAL: Arjuna
I spent many hours playing Korsun Pocket with Ian Trout of SSG fame. Sadly Ian's no longer with us.

[:(] I really liked his games - The Ardennes Offensive was one of my favourite computer wargames ever. It was installed in all my computers for quite a few years. And I also have very fond memories of both Kharkov: Disaster in the Donetsk and Korsun Pocket.

The best homage I could think of would be to cover Korsun with the Command Ops engine. Pavel would probably like a lot the idea as well of taking things to his homeland.
Phoenix100

Post by Phoenix100 »

The best homage I could think of would be to cover Korsun with the Command Ops engine.

If you can knock that out before Xmas that would be great, Miguel. [;)]
BletchleyGeek

Post by BletchleyGeek »

ORIGINAL: phoenix
The best homage I could think of would be to cover Korsun with the Command Ops engine.

With the Red Army From Hell and a Etch-A-Sketch (tm) map? And a Swiss cheese melt on top? Sure [;)]
RangerX3X

Post by RangerX3X »

ORIGINAL: Bletchley_Geek

With the Red Army From Hell and a Etch-A-Sketch (tm) map? And a Swiss cheese melt on top? Sure [;)]

It is quite popular on Steam nowadays to have players purchase a game in alpha state as “early access”: these buyers get to start playing the game in whatever pre-release condition exists and can contribute to the beta testing of the product before it truly goes gold. And when it is released to the general public, those early access participants (in most cases) get the game for free as they have already paid some price for it in currency and user input.
BletchleyGeek

Post by BletchleyGeek »

ORIGINAL: RangerX3X
It is quite popular on Steam nowadays to have players purchase a game in alpha state as “early access”: these buyers get to start playing the game in whatever pre-release condition exists and can contribute to the beta testing of the product before it truly goes gold. And when it is released to the general public, those early access participants (in most cases) get the game for free as they have already paid some price for it in currency and user input.

Maybe too popular, Tim. My experiences with the Early Access program vary greatly: from greatly enjoying it (the case with Spacebase DF-9, Double Fine's take on the "Dwarf-Fortress-In-Space" concept), regretting it because it's spoiling the main show (the case with Wasteland 2, I was a KS backer for that, and I already uninstalled it for the time being, to reserve it) or feeling totally ripped off (like with Bohemia Interactive's Take On Mars). I am under the impression that some developers get into that with little planning and very little chances of actually delivering. Yet indeed, it's a model which might work for computer wargames quite well.

Going back to the Korsun topic. I've got a quite complete Eastern Front estab for 1944 which needs to be reviewed to see that the modeling makes sense(hence the reference to the "Red Army from Hell"), that I was looking forward to use in a set of scenarios covering the same subject matter as the OCS game "Baltic Gap". I'd be happy to switch my attention from the northern bogs and forests, to the banks of the Dnepr, if someone would like to work with me to do the mapping of the AO (going roughly from Vinnitsa to Krivoi Rog). "Working with me" would mean that I would be helping with and overseeing the map making, rather than actually tracing the map (since I have quite limited spare time).

If there are any takers, feel free to contact me.
Phoenix100

Post by Phoenix100 »

Can't help you, Miguel, sorry. But if it was a KS project I'd happily put in 60 euros. I've a little money, but not much time.

I've often wondered why you can't try to fund this way. The DCS WW2 project that went out on KS recently (and to which I contributed) got about 150k, I think. I suppose flight sims are seen as more sexy, somehow (the graphics are pretty, maybe). I would also happily pre-order or KS CO2.
BletchleyGeek

Post by BletchleyGeek »

Can't help you, Miguel, sorry. But if it was a KS project I'd happily put in 60 euros. I've a little money, but not much time.

It shouldn't take much time, just some [;)] Don't scare people like implying this is a MASSIVE undertaking. It's just a SUBSTANTIAL one [:)]
I've often wondered why you can't try to fund this way. The DCS WW2 project that went out on KS recently (and to which I contributed) got about 150k, I think. I suppose flight sims are seen as more sexy, somehow (the graphics are pretty, maybe). I would also happily pre-order or KS CO2.

We've thought about this. And indeed, it remains a possibility. But I have no PR skills, mate, and there are right ways and wrong ways to run a KS funding campaign, which still elude me. In any case, very much as with the Early Access thing that Tim suggests, this would require some careful planning to make sure that we have all the artillery support we need to break through :)

Return to “Command Ops Series”