Corps questions

Civil War 2 is the definitive grand strategy game of the period. It is a turn based regional game with an emphasis on playability and historical accuracy. It is built on the renowned AGE game engine, with a modern and intuitive interface that makes it easy to learn yet hard to master.
This historical operational strategy game with a simultaneous turn-based engine (WEGO system) that places players at the head of the USA or CSA during the American Civil War (1861-1865).

Moderator: Pocus

dukewacoan

Corps questions

Post by dukewacoan »

Still trying to understand Corps mechanics.

If the Corps is in the same area as the Army HQ, you don't want them in the same "stack" because if you put it in the "stack" the Corps goes away, right? At least that's how it appears to work when I stack them. Do I need to LOCK the Corps, then stack, etc?

If I have the Corps in the same area as the Army, will they defend as one group? I had the USA attack an Area with both Lee and Jackson (Corps), who were not stacked. It looked it ran two combats instead of one, running one against each Lee and Jackson.

If Army and Corps are in same area, not stacked, and I want to move them all the same place, I need to click and drag both, not just the corps?

Obviously I'm all confused about when to stack, when not to stack, etc when it comes to Corps.

Really be nice if the manual had some of these fundamentals.
dukewacoan

RE: Corps questions

Post by dukewacoan »

Also, is the whole idea of "Second in Command" from the earlier AACW gone?
Toro12

Post by Toro12 »

1) Yes, a corps that's added to an army dissolves the corps. I never lock corps (I do too much tinkering), but I'm careful to look for that "joining" cursor when shifting stacks around. Also, if you want to create a new stack from a current one, then drag the selected units to the far right of the unit list (bottom) -- there's a blank space there, and dropping the selected units creates a new stack in the zone with the same entrenchment level.

2) not always. No guarantees all forces in a zone will participate in battles.

3) best way to move corps w/ army stacks is to use the coordinated move toggle. It's in the battle/activity options (sorry, don't know the name) -- looks like a group of green arrows, IIRC.

4) I always keep corps separate. Coordinate moves. The strength of them is the ability to create a larger fighting force under an army.

5) don't recall second in command? You sure this was ACW1?

dukewacoan

Post by dukewacoan »

Thanks

2d in command is mentioned on the old Wiki
Queeg

Post by Queeg »

ORIGINAL: dukewacoan

Also, is the whole idea of "Second in Command" from the earlier AACW gone?

According to page 37 of the manual:
CP generated by leaders can be further increased by the following bonuses:...

...Units in the region are part of a Corps or attached to an Army which includes
a capable Aide de Camp (i.e., A non-Army commander leader with a Strategic
Rating of 4+ who is in a the Stack): +1

And page 97:
Aide de Camp: A non-Army commander leader with a Strategic Rating of 4+
who is in an Army Stack. He provides a bonus to the Stack.
Toro12

Post by Toro12 »

Damn! Aide-de-camp... maybe I should read all the manual... ha!

But then, how many of these are there who aren't being used as corps commanders! hum...
dukewacoan

Post by dukewacoan »

Really hope someone updates the Wiki. Just too much missing from the Manual. Something like the master To Do lists in the WitP forum would be outstanding.

Thanks again for the clarifications.

Return to “Civil War II”