Ships Warping in

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Alexandus

Ships Warping in

Post by Alexandus »

Here is a question for all of you vets out there. Is there a way to avoid having your ships warp to a location in a circle (thereby surrounding said target location)? I have found this to be inefficient and would rather try to find a way to warp ships in at one location, say to one side of a location and move in that way, especially if it is going to involve a larger-scaled battle where you want your own battle lines to be formed.
btd64

RE: Ships Warping in

Post by btd64 »

Good Idea. I will mention it.[:)]A "Stance Option"
Cheers
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
Alexandus

Post by Alexandus »

A perfect idea, I wasn't sure what to call it but a "stance" or "fleet formation" option would be perfect.

Appreciate the input General!
Darkspire

Post by Darkspire »

ORIGINAL: Alexandus

Here is a question for all of you vets out there. Is there a way to avoid having your ships warp to a location in a circle (thereby surrounding said target location)? I have found this to be inefficient and would rather try to find a way to warp ships in at one location, say to one side of a location and move in that way, especially if it is going to involve a larger-scaled battle where you want your own battle lines to be formed.

This has been heavily suggested by myself since Shadows, not likely to happen though.
I find the best way is to set the sun of the system you wish to attack as the target, enemy ships will zero in and you can then deal with them which also allows you to see any defese bases and spaceports are there as well. Once the enemy ships are dealt with, chose a system target and select to move to a slight distance from it, say a defense base, move close enough with the fleet so when you select to attack it they will not warp but just cruise towards it bringing all weapons to bear, if there are other defense bases at the same location do not attack them if there is a spaceport, warp off to another planet in the system and then repeat the process till the the spaceport is the last thing standing, that will now be fairly easy to take out and if your transport are armed send them in when it is near blowing, they will warp in to drop the troops and help blow what is left of it. Not ideal, but great fun when you get the hang of it, I ten to hit 10+ systems at once using this method and it quickly decimates an empire, no matter how big they are. Should also mention I park transport fleets of five ships (troop 10000) just outside the systems before sending in the attack fleets to soften them up and have small fleets of four destroyers on standby to assign to defend the newly taken colonies so that the attack fleet can move onto the next system.

Darkspire
Canute0

Post by Canute0 »

Is there a way to avoid having your ships warp to a location in a circle

Thats a good question and all scientists are sure about it, they don't know it.
While Dumbsblödel from the Kickstorm-Institut means the hyperspace is to unstable at all, it is a wonder that ships hit a nearby starsystems anyway.
But the new Hypermathematican Ahn-ung-k'ine prgonost with a new hyperalgebra together with an intensive cartograhic of the hyperspace itself it should be possible to set the excact warpoff of a spaceship.

Alexandus

Post by Alexandus »

Just for reference, this is the battle I had before posting this, which prompted the question:

http://youtu.be/jSs9-ii-hco?t=23m51s

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”