Air Intercept Mission??

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

TMP95

Air Intercept Mission??

Post by TMP95 »

When creating an Air-Intercept mission do you have to set a "target list"??

What exactly happens. Will the planes launch and then look for enemy / unknown AC? or do you have to plot a path for them.

I can't seem to get my Air Intercept planes to launch (I have them on a mission that is inactive and switches to active once a trigger is switched). I've seen the message that the trigger is hit....but the planes on Air-Intercept mission don't leave the ground.
mikmykWS

RE: Air Intercept Mission??

Post by mikmykWS »

Post the file and I'll take a look.

Look at your mission options in the mission editor. Do you have the "mission triggers when contact is at minimum" set? If so is the contact unfriendly or hostile. Unknown is the default setting.

Are your runways long enough for the aircraft? If you built an air base to have all the necessary components (runway, taxiway/access points).

Are the targets in range?

Few things that could be causing the issue here.
TMP95

Post by TMP95 »

I haven't selected anything within the "target list" within the Air-Intercept mission. Because it would be unknown exactly what planes may fly into said zone.

Here is my simple playtest mission. I'm missing something simple I'm sure. Thanks for your help!
TMP95

Post by TMP95 »

Actually, I have to go read how to upload a file for here. Thought it was like pic, but it's not.
TMP95

Post by TMP95 »

Here we go. Thanks!
Attachments
NK4T.zip
(107.25 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
Rudd

Post by Rudd »

I can't seem to get my Air Intercept planes to launch (I have them on a mission that is inactive and switches to active once a trigger is switched). I've seen the message that the trigger is hit....but the planes on Air-Intercept mission don't leave the ground.

I don't think "triggers" in the event engine are needed.

Make Air Intercept mission, make it active, and set the "Mission triggers is at a minimum" Unknown(ac will launch after an "unknown" air contact is detected, Unfriendly(ac will only launch when contact is a confirmed unfriendly), same with Hostile(only will launch after its confirmed hostile)

If set to Unfriendly or Hostile, you probably need something else in the air to make the id
jdkbph

Post by jdkbph »

Sounds like the problem is you created half a mission then canceled it. If I'm not mistaken you need a target to launch that mission type against. If there's no target the mission just doesn't launch because the mission set up was not completed.

This is one example of why I thought it was a good idea for all dialog boxes to have (standard Windows convention) OK and CANCEL buttons. If you tried that with an OK button push you would presumable be told that your mission is NOT OK because there's no target designated. The way it it is now, hitting the RED X in the corner makes what should be OK exactly the same as what should be CANCEL.

So in effect, it sounds like you CANCELed the mission.

BTW, if you want to launch an intercept (or any kind of strike) against a target that you know is over there somewhere - but has recently dropped off the map due to no contact for a while - you can outline a patrol zone with reference points and set up a AA patrol mission.

JD
JD
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

I agree on the OK/Cancel button thing. Dialogs seem to be very inconsistent.
TMP95

Post by TMP95 »

Thanks for tips!
TMP95

Post by TMP95 »

ORIGINAL: Rudd

I don't think "triggers" in the event engine are needed.

Make Air Intercept mission, make it active, and set the "Mission triggers is at a minimum" Unknown(ac will launch after an "unknown" air contact is detected, Unfriendly(ac will only launch when contact is a confirmed unfriendly), same with Hostile(only will launch after its confirmed hostile)

If set to Unfriendly or Hostile, you probably need something else in the air to make the id

Yes, this worked! For an air intercept. They will launch if radars make a contact. I get that now.

I was trying to look for way to make it a 25% or 50% chance of an intercept (which is why I was going the Event Trigger route). This allows one to set a % and helps with replayibility.
Fonz

Post by Fonz »

You can create an event that has a chance to activate the mission, but once the mission is activated it will stay active untill you deactivate it. So if you would like mission Intercept-1 to have 50% chance of being activated at the start of the game do the following:

1) Create the mission as you have, but set the status to inactive.
2) Create a timed event with a probability of 50% that set the mission status to active.
3) Repeat for other missions

I'm sure you can also use other triggers to activate the missions (like 25% percent chance to activate on contact detection). But keep in mind that the intercept mission will stay active untill you deactivate it through an event. This will require some play testing on your part to see what yields the right result.

Attachments
20131216..itEvent.jpg
20131216..itEvent.jpg (61.53 KiB) Viewed 361 times
Dimitris

Post by Dimitris »

ORIGINAL: thewood1
I agree on the OK/Cancel button thing. Dialogs seem to be very inconsistent.

There are technical reasons that make it _extremely_ difficult in certain windows to apply the OK/Cancel paradigm. They're not missing from some windows because we're lazy or want to make things harder for people.
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

I have spent long years working in the windows environment and can tell you that using the "x" as the only way to close and confirm an action is about non-intuitive as you get in windows.
TMP95

Post by TMP95 »

ORIGINAL: fonz_

You can create an event that has a chance to activate the mission, but once the mission is activated it will stay active untill you deactivate it. So if you would like mission Intercept-1 to have 50% chance of being activated at the start of the game do the following:

1) Create the mission as you have, but set the status to inactive.
2) Create a timed event with a probability of 50% that set the mission status to active.
3) Repeat for other missions

I'm sure you can also use other triggers to activate the missions (like 25% percent chance to activate on contact detection). But keep in mind that the intercept mission will stay active untill you deactivate it through an event. This will require some play testing on your part to see what yields the right result.

Thank you very much for this! Very helpful walk through!

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”