Interception of moving within sea area

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Courtenay

Interception of moving within sea area

Post by Courtenay »

I just moved a CW cruiser from the three box to the two box of a sea area, with German ships in the three box, and to my surprise, the interception screen came up. Out of curiosity, I initiated a search, made sure the Germans found the Allies, and sure enough, there was a naval combat. This should not have happened.
11.4.6. INTERCEPTION

You can’t try to intercept:

Units moving from one section into a lower-numbered section of the same sea-box;

Now as bugs go, this is not a serious one, because one simply does not intercept here, and everything is fine. However, at some point, in the distant future, this should be fixed.
I thought I knew how to play this game....
paulderynck

RE: Interception of moving within sea area

Post by paulderynck »

Did you check if the Germans were allowed to initiate a search in the "Opponent's Naval Combat" step? They should be given that opportunity if the CW doesn't search in that sea zone first.
Paul
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

No, I didn't get past the Allied naval movement step. I suspect the Germans would be able to search, except that the CW would search for them first (Five battleships and the Ark Royal just arrived in the sea area.) The point to my post, though, is that the Germans should not be allowed to intercept.
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

The bug is worse than I thought. I have a cruiser in the three box of the North Atlantic, along with other CW ships in the 0 and 4 boxes, and Germans in the 3 box. I try and move the cruiser to the two box. MWiF asks me if the Germans want to intercept. Whether they do, with an unsuccessful search, or don't, I can not put the cruiser in the two box; I get in X cursor for the North Atlantic. If I use escape to get out of the cruiser's movement, she winds up in the zero box!

I include a copy of my game; if you can get HMS Gloucester from the 3 box of the North Atlantic to the 2 box, please tell me how.

(She was to have been joined by the Ark Royal and a large number of battleships out of Scapa.)

Note that in this case this bug can be worked around: I will simply leave her in the three box. If the Germans find the Allies, and the Allies don't find the Germans, I will not allow the Germans to include the three box without the two box. (The Germans will not include the two box, thank you.) If the Allies find the Germans, things are fine; there will be a carrier in the two box, so the right ships will be included on any roll.

In other cases, it might not be possible to do an exact work around.
Attachments
NavalInterception.zip
(1.59 MiB) Downloaded 7 times
BrianSchick

Post by BrianSchick »

I get this bug too.
Brian M. Schick
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

You can decline to intercept and put that CA in the zero box, if that helps. Another disturbing thing I found is that after the interception form is dismissed, the detailed Map is centered on the Eastern Med instead of the North Atlantic.
Paul

Return to “Tech Support”