Pain of Set Up

A sub-forum for players new to WIF, containing information on how to get started and become an experienced player.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

jhdeerslayer

Pain of Set Up

Post by jhdeerslayer »

Wasn't sure what else to call this... So you spend many hours setting up all sides in a global type game solitaire. But then you find say you did a dumb set up as the Chinese for example. But their set up was one of the first and you spent many hours setting up everybody else after this and you don't want to start over. I don't see a way yet to go back and maybe tweak an earlier set up. I see the Save Setup function for each Major but not sure this helps in this situation. Thoughts?
Hokum

RE: Pain of Set Up

Post by Hokum »

Experience :)
One of the great joy of WiF is that you will do mistakes in a game. In the next one, you won't do them again, but you'll do a bunch of new ones.
My best advice would be for you to set-up units, then post it on this forum explaining your reasoning behind your set-up for experienced players to give their thoughts about it.
Klydon

Post by Klydon »

I have had some of the same issues where I want to go back and change a few things or even just not start the game with how it came out. (The Germans got screwed and only started with 1 Stuka as an example. Why do I want to play a game like that if I am just messing around and most of the time, the Germans are going to get two Stukas? Since the Germans set up last, I had set up everyone else to learn that. Unhappy I was.. heh).

I find the thing that takes the longest to figure out are the convoy placements. Fortunately as you mentioned, you can save those and use the same setup every game.

You can go through and do saves at the start of each player setup, but by doing that, you are stuck with any previous setups you did already. Just the way it goes. [;)]
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

You can save your fixed set ups for each nation. This only affects fixed units, but those include almost the entire navies. I found it a great time saver when I wanted to redo a set up.
I thought I knew how to play this game....
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

Right, just save each one as it's done and then recall them if you start over. Then you can change what you want and save again - even using a different file name if you want a few choices available. Yes it does not place the random selects, but with experience you realize it doesn't matter - FREX if you get the Brit 5-4 or 6-4 INF, you need that INF positioned to do such-and-such in the first turn of the game, etc. etc.
Paul
jhdeerslayer

Post by jhdeerslayer »

OK thanks guys. Just wanted to check if I was missing something about setup flexibility and guess I'm not. No worries as I'm still in learning mode anyway.

Return to “WIF School”