Distant Worlds Guide to Guides Mk II

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Icemania

Distant Worlds Guide to Guides Mk II

Post by Icemania »

Hey All:

To assist I've compiled a collection of links below by topic to key threads around the forum. Feel free to propose additions or deletions and I'll update accordingly (particularly in this initial edit).

While some of these references are old I'll link to them if they still have a relevant component. The best way to make them current would be to post in the threads referenced below and update them.

This thread is not intended to debate the specifics of any topic, please post specifics in the relevant threads, and also try to extend existing conversations rather than creating new threads.

I'm deliberately posting this in the main forum to ensure it is most visible rather than in the War Room and where a sticky would be most useful.

General
Jeeves Distant Worlds Empire Building Guide
Jeeves Legends Strategy Guide
Easy Way to Always Win

Planets
Guide to Planetary Population
Effect of Planetary Population on Build Times

Research
How is research calculated?
Research Guide
Research Screen
Early Game Research
Science Academies

Resources
Resource mining and you
Cargo Capacity
Early Game Resource Guide
Trade Frustration
Mining???!!!
Resource Table by Planet Type
Component Resource Composition
Resources AND Components Breakdown

Ship and Base Design
Ship Design Tips and Tricks
A Guide to Energy
Guide to Armour
How to Use a Resupply Ship

Economy
Economy Demystified

Fleet Management
Fleet Posture Guide

Pirates
Dealing with Pirates

Das's How to Play Distant Worlds Video Series
Timotheus New Guy Newbie Guide

Cheers,
Icemania
HectorOfTroy

RE: Distant Worlds Guide to Guides Mk II

Post by HectorOfTroy »

Thanks, very useful.
Darkspire

Post by Darkspire »

Dude you put it in the wrong place again, this needs to be in the war room or it will get lost [;)]

Thanks for putting it together though, can you just edit and move it on a new thread in there?

Darkspire
Buio

Post by Buio »

Thanks for the compilation, nice work.
Icemania

Post by Icemania »

ORIGINAL: Darkspire

Dude you put it in the wrong place again, this needs to be in the war room or it will get lost [;)]

Thanks for putting it together though, can you just edit and move it on a new thread in there?

Darkspire
The War Room is far less active than the main forum, indeed some people post without even reading the War Room. A sticky on the main page will be more useful. That said I'll create a post there that references this one anyway.

Timotheus

Post by Timotheus »

Woo, stickied, good stuff.

Exactly what new players will be looking for.

Thank you kindly.
NEWBIE GUIDE Distant Worlds Universe
http://tinyurl.com/k3frrle

War in the Pacific Poradnik po Polsku
http://tinyurl.com/nxd4cesh

INSTALL WITPAE on modern PC
https://tinyurl.com/l5kr6rl
Timotheus

Post by Timotheus »

There should be a quick and dirty guide to one-off components.

As in, listing all the components for ships/bases of which you only need one per ship/base, and more of them bring no additional benefit whatsoever.

Actually, the game should prevent you from adding more than one of these one-offs, but alas, that is not so.

Spidey

Post by Spidey »

The game shouldn't prevent you from putting redundant components on ships, though a warning would of course be quite nice.
Icemania

Post by Icemania »

Thanks for the sticky!

If anybody wants to create a good guide for components I'll amend the list above.
Spidey

Post by Spidey »

[Boring cluttery stuff]. [>:]
Icemania

Post by Icemania »

Spidey, suggest starting a new thread. If it becomes something people want in the Guide to Guides then I will certainly add it.
Algon

Post by Algon »

Thanks for the compilation Icemania, and to the authors of those guides as always!

Just as a suggestion, it might be helpful for new players in particular if there was some indication about which version of the game those guides were written for, and/or whether the info retains much of its relevance for later versions, if it wasn't made for the most recent expansion? Probably easier said than done, though.
Icemania

Post by Icemania »

ORIGINAL: Algon
Just as a suggestion, it might be helpful for new players in particular if there was some indication about which version of the game those guides were written for, and/or whether the info retains much of its relevance for later versions, if it wasn't made for the most recent expansion? Probably easier said than done, though.
ORIGINAL: Icemania
While some of these references are old I'll link to them if they still have a relevant component. The best way to make them current would be to post in the threads referenced below and update them.

I would like to keep this easily maintainable. If the link has a useful relevant component to the current release/version, I'll keep the link. If it's no longer relevant in any way, shout it out, and I'll remove it.

Spidey

Post by Spidey »

Sure thing, Ice. I'm not quite ready to write the guide myself, though. I really just wanted to provide a starting point, but I'll push it somewhere else so it doesn't create clutter in this topic.
Algon

Post by Algon »

ORIGINAL: Icemania

I would like to keep this easily maintainable. If the link has a useful relevant component to the current release/version, I'll keep the link. If it's no longer relevant in any way, shout it out, and I'll remove it.
Understood. As for relevance, it's rarely that black and white - most guides retain some usefulness even when out of date in most respects!
Icemania

Post by Icemania »

Fully agree, it's very subjective, and hope this thread will be used to debate changes as needed.

starmonkey

Post by starmonkey »

Thanks for this - very useful - I'm new to DW and struggle with feeling "intimidated" by the game. These guides will help.

Edit: here are the bookmarks I'm collecting on DW - might be useful to other newbies:

https://delicious.com/doublethink/distantworlds
Timotheus

Post by Timotheus »

Last but not least [;)]

I will add a third section for colonization, spying and research for newbies when I get off my lazy buttocks and stop my current (lagged to hell) game.

I have to say there is a wealth of info in these guides and all new players should at least skim them.

Osito

Post by Osito »

Icemania,

You might consider adding one or more of these to the list of guides - at your discretion of course.

Guide to Armour (Erik Rutins guidance):
tm.asp?m=3600917

Guide to Planetary Population:

tm.asp?m=3342485

The effect of colony population on build times:

tm.asp?m=3342485

Also something from Numdydar on resources which looks useful:

tm.asp?m=3322433

And finally, when do we get the rest of your guide, Timotheus?

Edit: Also this one from Feelotraveller on component composition:

tm.asp?m=3352769&mpage=1&key=%EF%BF%BD

Osito
Icemania

Post by Icemania »

Thanks Osito, some good material, so I've updated the OP. Note two of the links that you have quoted were identical, what was the second 3342485 link?

All, very happy to include other links, so let me know if you want anything else added.

It would be great for all of the useful parts of this (and a lot more which can be mined by searching this forum) to make the Galactopedia some day.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”