MWif and Where I'm at...

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

jzardos

RE: Patience is a Virtue

Post by jzardos »

ORIGINAL: Omnius

jzardos,
Have you never heard the saying Patience is a Virtue? Have you never gotten a computer game when it's first released that doesn't have significant bug problems? Aren't you smart enough to have patience playing publicly before playing solitaire and discovering the problems before jumping in with both feet and getting all wet?

I'm playing a test game solitaire and have found some nasty bugs, one most definitely fatal. I've bought enough computer war games to know to never trust an initial release to be bug free. I suggest patience, try playing the game solitaire a while to see what works and more importantly what doesn't before plunging into public competitive play. They did warn us that Netplay wasn't working perfectly so in this case buyer beware and pay attention to warnings.

Omnius

PS: I detest the picture of two cowards with a high-powered rifle killing poor defenseless animals. I assume you're the coward with the gun.

Omunis,

Have you are heard of a joke? Are you always offended by jokes and or comedy? The image was joke, if not funny sorry it wasn't target at you. Why are you making a personal attack? Were you the person that made decision to release MWiF at it's current state? My comments were not about you. I'm a little upset and frustrated about how many issues the game has currently. Trying to be positive and hope for best no doubt.

Might real point is that the game could have waited a few more months until release. Which brings me to my point about 'Patience', which you so eloquently brought up. I would have been fine waiting about 6 months for the game, so I guess that makes me very patient? So your logic is flawed and you need to look at yourself a little deeper before attacking others with these unfounded comments.

If you're fine with MWiF as it stands now and have no issues, great.. I'm happy for you. But don't attack me because I'm only exercising my right on the forum to express my concerns and issues with the game. Paid my $100. So please focus your energy on reporting bugs and less on attacking others.

thanks

PS: in the picture the people are GI Joe type toys. Heard the squirrel was hit by car, not my car too.
Omnius

Recoverable Bug

Post by Omnius »

Shannon,
I almost fouled up and played a whole turn over again. Just before I restored the end of turn save from two turns prior I decided to restore the last turn's final save after discovering that I had railed my units into Bucharest in a rail phase before the final one. So the error wasn't fatal after all, and I sure know now to not end turn and save after assigning a pilot but before placing units. I'm sure glad I save my game with a new filename at the end of every turn.

I should have read deerslayer's post more carefully because he did say he restored and played through the initial error.

Now the war can continue, Yippee!

Omnius
abulbulian

RE: Recoverable Bug

Post by abulbulian »

Ok all. Let's keep the comments about the game and not each other. If you have comments about another individual's taste, please at least do the rest of us a favor and use the 'PM' delivery channel. Many people are working hard to fix current problems in MWiF. As already stated NetPlay is getting some focus. What's done is done. Game is out and now we need to all help make it better or move on to some other en-devour. I'm in the camp that is frustrated too, but know MWiF will get fixed. Even a game like WitE which came out in 2011 is still getting patches with significant content. It's a great game and always will be. So can't judge success and enjoyment of a game by how many patches it requires. Unless you played HIO... heheh had to get that cheap shot in there. Think BWheatley has stock in Paradox because he always defends HOI. [:D]
- Beta Tester WitE and ATG
- Alpha/Beta Tester WitW and WitE2

"Invincibility lies in the defence; the possibility of victory in the attack." - Sun Tzu
Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

ORIGINAL: jzardos

PS: in the picture the people are GI Joe type toys. Heard the squirrel was hit by car, not my car too.

Lol. I never even looked that close to see it was even a squirrel. I've got a freezer stocked with squirrel, rabbit, caught fish and deer meat. The defense that those animals had were to run and hide or not come near. Some folks would rather someone else do their killing I guess. Fine by me. Don't assume I am a coward for harvesting my own. Then again, some people enjoy stuffing their faces with processed garbage. We grow our own vegetables, many fruits and eat meat that doesn't come with a Monopoly sticker.

But funny pic nonetheless.
**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford
Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

ORIGINAL: abulbulian

Ok all. Let's keep the comments about the game and not each other. If you have comments about another individual's taste, please at least do the rest of us a favor and use the 'PM' delivery channel. Many people are working hard to fix current problems in MWiF. As already stated NetPlay is getting some focus. What's done is done. Game is out and now we need to all help make it better or move on to some other en-devour. I'm in the camp that is frustrated too, but know MWiF will get fixed. Even a game like WitE which came out in 2011 is still getting patches with significant content. It's a great game and always will be. So can't judge success and enjoyment of a game by how many patches it requires. Unless you played HIO... heheh had to get that cheap shot in there. Think BWheatley has stock in Paradox because he always defends HOI. [:D]

OK
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford
Omnius

Comedy is Tough Sometimes

Post by Omnius »

jzardos,
Thank you for clarifying that the picture is something of a joke, albeit a sick one. No I wasn't the person to tell them to release the game.

I usually like to wait 6 months or a year after initial release before buying a game, let them iron out the bugs first. However after waiting so long for MWiF to come out I decided to disregard my normal rule just to start playing and learning the game, and of course helping beta test it.

It sounds like this isn't your first rodeo, you really shouldn't be surprised there are major bugs so close after initial release. Just be more patient about MWiF becoming more playable and while you've got it you might as well consider any games you play as test games and any problems you encounter as an opportunity to write up a bug report. In that way we can all help Matrix make MWiF better faster which benefits us all.

So apologies for dissing you about being in the picture and the picture itself.

Omnius
jzardos

RE: Comedy is Tough Sometimes

Post by jzardos »

jzardos,
Thank you for clarifying that the picture is something of a joke, albeit a sick one. No I wasn't the person to tell them to release the game.

I usually like to wait 6 months or a year after initial release before buying a game, let them iron out the bugs first. However after waiting so long for MWiF to come out I decided to disregard my normal rule just to start playing and learning the game, and of course helping beta test it.

It sounds like this isn't your first rodeo, you really shouldn't be surprised there are major bugs so close after initial release. Just be more patient about MWiF becoming more playable and while you've got it you might as well consider any games you play as test games and any problems you encounter as an opportunity to write up a bug report. In that way we can all help Matrix make MWiF better faster which benefits us all.

So apologies for dissing you about being in the picture and the picture itself.

Omnius

Thanks and accepted.

I agree that the image a little disturbing to some. Have thought about changing it for something new. Would like that to be a MWiF icon. Hard to choose one as so many cool ones. Which leads me to letting people know, I really like so much about this game. Never played WiF, but always wanted to. Just never had the time to learn all the rules and be able to remember/enforce them. That's the beauty of MWiF, I don't have to remember all the rules. Can focus on actually playing and my strategy. Was excited as everybody else for this game to get done. So much so I just want to play and keep playing. But have run into bugs and finally one that doesn't allow me to go any further in NetPlay game. Thus, I wait and feel withdraw effects after getting a taste of something really cool. Look forward to my campaign in Russia and the expanse of the east. Can hardly hold my excitement about seeing how much territory the Japanese can gobble up before the US might lays the hammer on them.

So my frustration is not from the core of making mistake in buying game, it's just I want the game and want to play! Look forward to next patch that can fix my NetPlay issue. Have time over x-mas and want to play MWiF until I run out of 5-hour energy to keep awake... [>:]
bwheatley

Post by bwheatley »

Oh hush. I still stand by Hearts of Iron being a ton of fun. :) You just have to expect that the game will be buggy for 1-3 months before it really hits it's stride. I've gotten my monies worth out of it time and again.

But agree personal attacks are no way to express disagreement. We're all frustrated. It's the holiday season (whatever holiday or not folks choose i don't care) let's try to be civil. It's ok to agree to disagree.

Happy festivus.

ORIGINAL: abulbulian

-Alpha Tester Carrier Force
-Beta Tester ATG
- Mod Maintainer (past) for ATG's WAW mod
- Mod Maintainer (past) for ATG's GPW mod
-Beta Tester WITE
-Alpha Tester WITW
-Alpha Tester WITE2
-Alpha Tester Wif
-Beta Tester Command
Dabrion

RE: MWif and Where I'm at...

Post by Dabrion »

Caveat Emptor is a moot point if you cannot assess/appraise the product before the payment is made. Usually with online/remote purchases there is period of time where you can return for refund. Not sure if thats is (not) the case in your country, it surely is in every European country. Ever bought shoes or clothes that do not fit? "CAVEAT EMPTOR, biac.. " thats certainly the last thing you hear from the store!

I had no objections when I read the marketing statement, they came when I saw the videos and tried the software, and learned about the disparity with that marketing statement.

Opposed to "Caveat Emptor" there is "Ei incumbit probatio qui dicit, non qui negat", in trade law better known as (beware translation) "the implied covenant of good faith and fair dealing", which should be existent in your country as well (ianal). In plain words:"if I do business with someone, I should assume they will not con me". So out of not so idle curiosity, why would a company rather accept unsatisfied customers, than grant a refund? This is software! There is no damage that has to be mitigated on return. Are they just greedy *******s?
"If we come to a minefield, our infantry attacks exactly as it were not there." ~ Georgy Zhukov
shaddock

Post by shaddock »

Hey Dabrion, I'll take you up on that offer, if you are serious. I have a friend in Europe who would want it.
save the carrots; eat a vegan!
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Dabrion

Caveat Emptor is a moot point if you cannot assess/appraise the product before the payment is made. Usually with online/remote purchases there is period of time where you can return for refund. Not sure if thats is (not) the case in your country, it surely is in every European country. Ever bought shoes or clothes that do not fit? "CAVEAT EMPTOR, biac.. " thats certainly the last thing you hear from the store!

I had no objections when I read the marketing statement, they came when I saw the videos and tried the software, and learned about the disparity with that marketing statement.

Opposed to "Caveat Emptor" there is "Ei incumbit probatio qui dicit, non qui negat", in trade law better known as (beware translation) "the implied covenant of good faith and fair dealing", which should be existent in your country as well (ianal). In plain words:"if I do business with someone, I should assume they will not con me". So out of not so idle curiosity, why would a company rather accept unsatisfied customers, than grant a refund? This is software! There is no damage that has to be mitigated on return. Are they just greedy *******s?
warspite1

a) Moot? No its not?? If the Matrix small print says no refunds then that's all part of the sales process (and Caveat Emptor). Did you read the small print? If you did then you have only yourself to blame; if you didn't then you have only yourself to blame. Why do some people never accept something is their fault?

b) However, does the above mean you are new to computer games? If you are then I am genuinely sorry for the fact you didn't understand how it works. You see I have yet to buy a single - and I mean a single - computer wargame that has not needed patches. Not one. They are still patching CTGW, Rome, WITE, WITP-AE, PoN, they never did finish (start!) properly patching EiA. Come to that - if you were a wargame boardgamer, how many games did you not have patches (errata sheets) for??

But anyway, that's for you to pursue - and that really is the limit of my idle curiosity - good luck with that....

BTW, strange you didn't realise the UK was part of Europe though - that WAS a bit of a shocker....

Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Dabrion

Post by Dabrion »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

warspite1

a) Moot? No its not?? If the Matrix small print says no refunds then that's all part of the sales process (and Caveat Emptor). Did you read the small print? If you did then you have only yourself to blame; if you didn't then you have only yourself to blame. Why do some people never accept something is their fault?

b) However, does the above mean you are new to computer games? If you are then I am genuinely sorry for the fact you didn't understand how it works. You see I have yet to buy a single - and I mean a single - computer wargame that has not needed patches. Not one. They are still patching CTGW, Rome, WITE, WITP-AE, PoN, they never did finish (start!) properly patching EiA. Come to that - if you were a wargame boardgamer, how many games did you not have patches (errata sheets) for??

But anyway, that's for you to pursue - and that really is the limit of my idle curiosity - good luck with that....

BTW, strange you didn't realise the UK was part of Europe though - that WAS a bit of a shocker....

@UK/Europe: for further political discussion please send pm.

I know software development is an iterative process, it is my line of work. Patches are not the issue, yet I think I can extrapolate where this project is capable of going. I do not like it!
"If we come to a minefield, our infantry attacks exactly as it were not there." ~ Georgy Zhukov
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

UK / Europe - no need for a discussion. For better or worse, we are part of Europe geographically and politically. Best not to head down that route [;)]

Any thoughts you care to share on where you think this is headed and why?

All roads lead to a brick wall - sorry but that flew over my head, I didn't get the connection.

Dabrion

Post by Dabrion »

Well I have no interest in a debate where you point out that people falling for honeypot business ethics are worth a laugh. Or how boardgames do not have bugs and and you could return them at your local store. Thank you very much indeed!
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Well I have no interest in a debate where you point out that people falling for honeypot business ethics are worth a laugh. Or how boardgames do not have bugs and and you could return them at your local store. Thank you very much indeed!
warspite1

Over the years of being at this forum I have identified one, 100 per cent, sure-fire way of knowing when someone recognises for themselves they have lost a debate. They put words into others mouths - and simply make nonsense up.

I point out that honeypot business ethics are worth a laugh? Aside from the small matter I never said anything of the sort, I don't even know what the hell you are banging on about - although can hazard a guess.....

It's real simple - you bought a product. You didn't do appropriate research ahead of the purchase. Now you don't like said product. You want your money back. The company policy is that you can't have your money back so you are going to whine and moan and generally make an unpleasant nuisance of yourself until you get bored and give up.

As I said, good luck with that, I really don't care - have a nice life. Oh and in future, READ THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS.

Dabrion

Post by Dabrion »

Thanks for your input!
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Thanks for your input!
warspite1

You're welcome - I'm here till Thursday, try the veal [;)]

CrusssDaddy

Post by CrusssDaddy »

Can we get back on topic PLEASE. Were there any other morons who mistook a squirrel for some kind of big game animal?
MikeS369

Post by MikeS369 »

jzardos,
Have you never heard the saying Patience is a Virtue? Have you never gotten a computer game when it's first released that doesn't have significant bug problems? Aren't you smart enough to have patience playing publicly before playing solitaire and discovering the problems before jumping in with both feet and getting all wet?

I'm playing a test game solitaire and have found some nasty bugs, one most definitely fatal. I've bought enough computer war games to know to never trust an initial release to be bug free. I suggest patience, try playing the game solitaire a while to see what works and more importantly what doesn't before plunging into public competitive play. They did warn us that Netplay wasn't working perfectly so in this case buyer beware and pay attention to warnings.

Omnius

PS: I detest the picture of two cowards with a high-powered rifle killing poor defenseless animals. I assume you're the coward with the gun.

Hahahha! "Patience is a Virtue". That's a good one. And I kill "poor defenseless animals" on a regular basis. Ha!
Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

ORIGINAL: CrusssDaddy
Were there any other morons who mistook a squirrel for some kind of big game animal?

Other than me and Omnius?

No

Return to “World in Flames”