v1.06 of World in Flames now available

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Andrew Loveridge

v1.06 of World in Flames now available

Post by Andrew Loveridge »

This corrects some issues with Saving Games, NetPlay, and in other areas. It is available thru the Menu Update link or you can download it from the product page, http://www.matrixgames.com/products/296/downloads/

v1.0.6 – December 11, 2013
    Bug Fixes[/b] [ul]
  • Fixed the problem with only 1 build/oil point being saved in a hex, with the excess simply being thrown away. Now the upper limit to build/oil points that can be saved in a hex is what is specified by the rules.
  • Found and fixed the last bug that incorrectly displayed the message “Please wait, updating Units in Hex panel.”
  • Fixed a bug where Germany could destroy factories in Occupied France even when there were no Allied or partisan units in Occupied France.
  • For NetPlay, fixed a bug where the Axis was unable to voluntarily declare war on minor countries or major powers. Automatic DOWs and all DOWs by the Allied side worked previously.
  • For NetPlay, fixed a problem to enable the attacker to move units that are forced to retreat when the attacker has a choice of retreat hexes. Previously, the program wouldn’t enable the retreat, leaving the defending units in their original hex.
  • For NetPlay fixed some bugs in the processing of overrun naval units.
  • For NetPlay, added a recalculation of which units are selectable at the beginning of a digression. This was important to prevent the side which was not moving units from being able to move its own units.
  • For NetPlay, fixed a problem where the non-phasing side could cancel land attacks.
  • For NetPlay, added a check for the Chat form existing before writing to it.
  • For NetPlay, added several checks for a dropped connection so instead of a fatal error a message to that effect is shown.
  • Fixed a problem where restoring a saved game in which temporary carrier air units had flown a mission but not been destroyed, resulted in the units reappearing in the hex where they had flown the mission. This almost always resulted in an over-stacked digression later because there were units from both sides in the hex.
  • Fixed a problem with restoring saved games that were made during the Production phase. This bug was created by revision 1.0.5.0.
  • Added a check for no place for partisan units when restoring a saved game in the partisan phase. Partisans with no possible hex to be placed on the map now can be destroyed using the Backspace key, and a message to that effect appears in the Main form.
  • Fixed a problem with restoring automatically saved games from the Reinforcement Place Units sub-phase.
  • Fixed a problem restoring a saved game that was saved during setup with no units remaining in the Setup Tray. I’m not sure how that happened, but the Setup Tray was being shown with no units when the game was restored. Under those circumstances, the Setup phase could not be ended. The program now simply closes the Setup Tray when it has no units, and enables ending the phase.
  • Added a check for lower case ‘gam’ as the file extension so those saved games can be restored.
  • Added another check for invalid values for a detailed/global map hex when moving the mouse.
  • Added another check to avoid fatal errors when there are invalid units in a stack of units.
  • Replaced a non-fatal error with a warning message if the program has trouble closing all the forms when shutting down the game.
[/ul]
Omnius

RE: v1.06 of World in Flames now available

Post by Omnius »

Great! I definitely ran afoul of the bug trying to save USA oil early on, I only got one even though I never used oil.

I am having some massive problems with the CW in production, especially as regards convoying oil and resources to China in trade. Same with Germany sending oil to Italy. I sure hope this 1.06 fix is better than 1.05 was for production planning.

Omnius
Dabrion

Post by Dabrion »

Seems like the "absolutely air tight" implementations are not so air tight after all..

Just looked at "the patch" and found nothing changed with supply and production. Also, when will we see working multiplayer clients?
"If we come to a minefield, our infantry attacks exactly as it were not there." ~ Georgy Zhukov
Dabrion

Post by Dabrion »

Can we get something like a timeline.. a projection.. will my money sit idle for half a year, a full year.. or more like another decade?
"If we come to a minefield, our infantry attacks exactly as it were not there." ~ Georgy Zhukov
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Dabrion

Can we get something like a timeline.. a projection.. will my money sit idle for half a year, a full year.. or more like another decade?
warspite1

You've probably read all the appropriate posts so you know as much as any of us. My money is on your money sitting idle for a good while yet - probably best off getting into another game for a while for the good of your health - this game just seems to be making you angrier and angrier.
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
keyser soze

Post by keyser soze »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

... - this game just seems to be making you angrier and angrier.

Well,You can’t blame us for this. I am certainly in this group. For enormous price of 99, 99 US plus shipping plus custom expanses we have got half product so far – thousands bugs, no AI, no PBEM, can’t start any scenario at all with different then US regional settings (my case) etc. Just for example, few weeks ago for 10 US dollars (20 US dollars boxed edition) I have bought Strategic War in Europe game and have got game with no bugs, with decent graphics, with AI and decent gameplay. WIF is, of course more complex game but, still, in Strategic War in Europe game case, ratio between what you get and price to pay is excellent. For WIF you certainly can’t say the same (so far)
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: keyser soze
ORIGINAL: warspite1

... - this game just seems to be making you angrier and angrier.

Well,You can’t blame us for this. I am certainly in this group. For enormous price of 99, 99 US plus shipping plus custom expanses we have got half product so far – thousands bugs, no AI, no PBEM, can’t start any scenario at all with different then US regional settings (my case) etc. Just for example, few weeks ago for 10 US dollars (20 US dollars boxed edition) I have bought Strategic War in Europe game and have got game with no bugs, with decent graphics, with AI and decent gameplay. WIF is, of course more complex game but, still, in Strategic War in Europe game case, ratio between what you get and price to pay is excellent. For WIF you certainly can’t say the same (so far)
warspite1

keyser soze, what do you mean I can't blame "us"?? I am not blaming anyone for anything. Mine was just an observation based on Dabrion's recent postings... all of us are playing the same game and we therefore have the same frustrations.

I think we all know where the game is right now - that leaves one of two sensible options for those that have splashed their cash already - a) carry on working through, or b) put the game to one side, concentrate on something else and come back when things are different. There is of course a third choice, - stay around and barrack from the sidelines - which is everyones right to do, but it doesn't seem hugely productive.

BTW not to be picky but you can't complain there is no PBEM when Matrix advised before hand that there would be no PBEM....

keyser soze

Post by keyser soze »

warspite1, I have been under impression that you belong to part of people which they not share our frustration. Sorry if I was wrong. As for PBEM you are wrong. Somewhere in this forum some official game guy has confirmed that PBEM will be implemented later. To be more precise, PBEM++ system which is much better then original old PBEM option. Implementation of AI also has been confirmed and that’s very nice (it is good to know that guys are trying and working on the game) but still I can’t shake that feeling that I have bought unfinished game.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

warspite1, I have been under impression that you belong to part of people which they not share our frustration. Sorry if I was wrong. As for PBEM you are wrong. Somewhere in this forum some official game guy has confirmed that PBEM will be implemented later. To be more precise, PBEM++ system which is much better then original old PBEM option. Implementation of AI also has been confirmed and that’s very nice (it is good to know that guys are trying and working on the game) but still I can’t shake that feeling that I have bought unfinished game.
warspite1

A couple of things:

1. You said in your post no AI and no PBEM. That suggests you were annoyed there was no PBEM initially (same as the AI). As I said, the absence of a PBEM (to follow later) was advised in the blurb, and so not something that can be taken as a valid complaint.

2. One of the major frustrations I think a lot of the beta testers had during the pre-launch phase, was how so many posters assumed that, if someone was in some way involved in the project, they would automatically be happy when things were going wrong. It was as if being a beta tester - or Steve! - or Matrix - automatically precludes you from normal human emotion!!

To be clear, I have been kind of involved in this project in some minor capacity or other since 2008. That fact does not alter my frustration at the delays in implementation of the game, or some bugs not being quashed, or net play not working etc. However, what I, and others - both inside and outside the beta testing community - have tried to do is keep a sense of perspective that's all.

Do you own an unfinished game? As of right now, yes you do - we ALL do. But it was our choice to buy with no AI, no PBEM, a troublesome net play and some optionals missing. No one held us at gun point.

And that brings us back full circle to that's where we are, how do we react from here?

SeaMonkey

Post by SeaMonkey »

You dig in and get this done! Obviously....very apparent to anyone who can read English, Matrix made it perfectly clear this game is in Beta. If you feel slighted, it is only because you did not pay attention, so "Q" up the violins, booo whooo, feel lucky you're only out the price & shipping of the game cause life can be a lot uglier if you keep the blinders on.

I think it was a good decision to get this game out there, most developers would jump at the chance to have a dedicated group like WiF has. This is the best chance for this edition and Beta testing can be a lot of fun as well as rewarding. Think of it, this is everyones chance that prefers this platform to make it "Your Game". It won't be easy, success, that is worthwhile success never is, money is overrated, be apart of the WiF family, work together, the real satisfaction is in the quest, the finished product is only a small part of the reward.
Dabrion

Post by Dabrion »

What was it that you found apparent upfront (specify)? Would you agree that there is a lot of things that you simply cannot judge upfront, without having a look at the software. Do you own the software? Have you been a "beta-tester" (you know the kind that was around befor the payed beta).
SeaMonkey

Post by SeaMonkey »

A plethora of thread comments and using reading comprehension. We humans always form preconceived opinions depending upon our behavioural exposure and varying degrees of deductive reasoning.

We are all "beta testers", life is a test, some remember and exude clarity when presented with similar circumstances and some forget their lessons. Life is a classroom, pay attention!
Dabrion

Post by Dabrion »

(was that an answer?)
keyser soze

Post by keyser soze »

Warspite1, It was not my attention to offend anyone but you cross the line. I CAN’T START GAME AT ALL if I don’t have US regional settings on my computer. You can say that game is in beta version that is in development phase and whatever you want but this bug is so huge that is not permitted in alpha version. Lack of PBEM and AI is not a problem. If you ask me there will be no AI in any computer game because it is usually very stupid. I KNOW what I have bought, I have read game description but the price should have been lower (at least at start, at least during time period when game is in beta version). If you compare WIF price with other game prices you will see that WIF price is almost the same as prices for similar full, finished games. Every normal games developer have something called “Public beta test” where players can test beta version of the game. They DO NOT sell beta version. Hell, even Third Reich game made in 70thies in DOS works better than WIF.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Warspite1, It was not my attention to offend anyone but you cross the line. I CAN’T START GAME AT ALL if I don’t have US regional settings on my computer. You can say that game is in beta version that is in development phase and whatever you want but this bug is so huge that is not permitted in alpha version. Lack of PBEM and AI is not a problem. If you ask me there will be no AI in any computer game because it is usually very stupid. I KNOW what I have bought, I have read game description but the price should have been lower (at least at start, at least during time period when game is in beta version). If you compare WIF price with other game prices you will see that WIF price is almost the same as prices for similar full, finished games. Every normal games developer have something called “Public beta test” where players can test beta version of the game. They DO NOT sell beta version. Hell, even Third Reich game made in 70thies in DOS works better than WIF.
warspite1

Really not sure what to say in response to that [&:] You seem to be all over the place - e.g. post 6 no PBEM and no AI is a problem, post 14 no PBEM and no AI is not a problem.

I certainly have no idea what line I am supposed to have crossed in responding to you. As far as I was aware I have been generally agreeing with you about your frustrations.

You stated in post 8 you had the feeling you have an unfinished game and I agreed with you. I did take exception to the notion that I (and anyone else trying to stay positive) did not share peoples frustrations. That is patently ridiculous - why would I be happy to spend my money on something that isn't the finished article? Of course I'm not happy about it. But it it what it is, its not the first time the computer gaming industry has left me in this position.

Bottom line, we need MWIF to work. If it doesn't - then there is no more hope of WIF making it to the computer. I for one am willing to work at it.

Dabrion

Post by Dabrion »

"Bottom line, we need MWIF to work. If it doesn't - then there is no more hope of WIF making it to the computer. I for one am willing to work at it."

You fatalistic conclusion explains a lot of your over-protective behaviour. Shutting up people who express concerns is probably just you "working at it", making MWiF a more refined product. You should ask yourself you are part of the problem or part of the solution..

It is worth pointing out that this (seemingly your) agenda has impacted the larger part of the customer base. So it is no wonder that the publisher feels comfortable with letting out half finished products and is not reacting to the apparent need increase the assets for this project. You support this kind of behaviour, although it contrasts your stated goals. You even project the impression that cleaning this under the rug is just fine. Give that some thought, will you..

p.s.: you can read the Tech Forum to be in sync with actual problems of the software.
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

You did read Erik's note about the release, correct? I still do not understand why you do not simple ask for a refund. Have you even tried asking? Or do you just prefer to hang around complaining?

However, I did want to complement you on one of your comments in the Tech forum. For once iyou wrote a very clear description on an issue you had and the steps to recreate it. So I know it is possible for you to provide constructive feedback that will help improve the game. Is there some reason you are unwilling to do that more often than comments like the one above?
Dabrion

Post by Dabrion »

I did ask and it was denied. I got an elaborate apology, which is not what I seek.
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

I did ask and it was denied. I got an elaborate apology, which is not what I seek.

What do you seek? Your money back? If so, don't bother us here and take legal action.
Peter
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

"Bottom line, we need MWIF to work. If it doesn't - then there is no more hope of WIF making it to the computer. I for one am willing to work at it."

You fatalistic conclusion explains a lot of your over-protective behaviour. Shutting up people who express concerns is probably just you "working at it", making MWiF a more refined product. You should ask yourself you are part of the problem or part of the solution..

It is worth pointing out that this (seemingly your) agenda has impacted the larger part of the customer base. So it is no wonder that the publisher feels comfortable with letting out half finished products and is not reacting to the apparent need increase the assets for this project. You support this kind of behaviour, although it contrasts your stated goals. You even project the impression that cleaning this under the rug is just fine. Give that some thought, will you..

p.s.: you can read the Tech Forum to be in sync with actual problems of the software.
warspite1

Dabrion I do not understand you, I really don't - well I do, you are just coming across a bit pathetic.

Fatalistic conclusion?
Over-protective behaviour?
Shutting-up people?
Part of the solution or the problem?
My Agenda?
Read the tech forum to be in sync with the actual problems

So let’s dissect what you so clearly fail to understand shall we:

1. Fatalistic Conclusion? So what do you reckon? If MWIF becomes a failure - improvements, patches and amendments are no longer forthcoming, then what? In that scenario, and seeing what has gone before, a load of gaming companies are going to be queuing up to take the project on?? Really?? Try visiting planet earth for once.
2. Over-Protective Behaviour. What the hell does that mean? Protective of what, protective of whom? Get a grip…
3. Shutting-up people? I have no power to shut people up – nor do I wish to. I DO have the wish to steer people on a different path if they are following, imo, the wrong path or an unhelpful one – just as you or anyone else does. That’s human nature right?
4. [Apollo 13 quote] Hee hee – okay so you think you are Ed Harris. Difference was, he was cool – although I must admit the childish “I’m taking legal advice” is at least funny, if not cool. Fact is, I can only be a tiny part of the solution (but I do what I can) because I know nothing about computing or programming. You – with your alleged software background and analytical mind could no doubt achieve more, but hey, it’s easy to barrack negatively from the sidelines isn’t it? You REALLY think you are more the solution than the problem than me?
5. My agenda? Pathetic. You know full well I have no agenda other than a successful game. My money is as good as yours pal. I’ve coughed up too. Why are you so special?
6. You saved the best until last didn’t you? I AM ACTUALLY PLAYING THE GAME. I KNOW THE ISSUES – BECAUSE I HAVE BEEN VICTIM OF THE ISSUES CURRENTLY AROUND. As I said previously, you can always tell when someone has lost an argument because they resort to total and utter nonsense.

By the way, keep up posted on your class action [>:][8|]

Return to “World in Flames”