GD 1938 - Gets an Update

Discuss and post your mods and scenarios here for others to download.

Moderator: Vic

ernieschwitz

GD 1938 - Gets an Update

Post by ernieschwitz »

Global Domination 1938

I have been working, with the approval of Bombur, on a major update of the GD 1938 scenario. The previous big update was some 9 months ago and you can see the thread here: tm.asp?m=3290429. The new update includes alot of diplomatic features, and some options, for play.

New Options:
There are three new options available, they are all pretty simple, yet, allow for greater variety in play. They are: Domestic Research Bonus, Allied Shared Recon and Alternative Spanish Civil War.

Domestic Research Bonus:
This is a bonus determined by the regime that you are playing domestic production. For each 9000 points of basic domestic (Own People) production, at 100% production, each regime gets 1 extra PP pr. turn. This means for instance that Germany gets 10 PPs pr. turn, if this option is selected from the start of the game.

Allied Shared Recon:
In early versions of the game, before version 2.00, the game had shared recon among allies. This was changed so nations would have an easier time backstabbing each other, if they went into alliances. However, it has been requested this be added back, and although we as developers think the game loses an aspect of uncertainty, we have added it as an option, for those who disagree.

Alternative Spanish Civil War:
What if the spanish civil war had ended in a republican victory, instead of a nationalist one. This alternative allows for that option. The settings of Spains diplomatic relationships become different, and among other things, the Soviet Union is suddenly Spains best friend...

New Cards:
Two new diplomatic cards have been added. They are Coup and Diplomatic Discord.

Coup:
The coup card is expensive, it costs 20 PPs. The chance of it succeeding is dependant on your diplomatic relationship with that country you are trying to coup. There is a random chance it will succeed. For every 30 points of diplomatic relations you have with the country, there is a 1% chance of success. Be wary of using it though. Not succeeding means you lose half your diplomatic standing with that country. If the check succeeds however, you gain immediate control of the country you have couped.

You automatically get the Coup card at the beginning of each turn, unless you do not control your own capitol, or are in a state of isolationism. That means that China and USA do not get it from the start of the game, but everyone else does.

Diplomatic Discord:
The diplomatic discord card costs only 5 PPs. It has the effect of reducing the number of diplomatic points of the closest friend to the country you are attempting the Discordant diplomacy with. There is a 50% chance of success, and only a 5% chance that the country you tried to cause worse relations for discovers you did it. The targeted regime will lose 25 points of diplomatic status. This may not sound like alot, but if 3 players decide to do it at the same time, then it quickly adds up.

Other Features:
Apart from the above, there is also been made a couple of more changes. These are Cheaper Research and Random Diplomatic Events.

Cheaper Research:
All research, not including strategic researches, have been reduced by 20% in cost. So if something used to cost 100 PPs, it now costs 80 PP. This has been done in an attempt to make research happen at a pace that is closer to history. (And if the Domestic Research Bonus is chosen, this is almost guaranteed).

Random Diplomatic Events:
A system has been made, that will cause a random event of diplomacy to occur with 5% chance each turn. The random events are either a positive event, that causes 25 points of diplomatic status to be added to a random country, or a negative event that will cause a loss of 25 points of diplomatic status, again, with a random country. This negative event is indistinguishable from the Diplomatic Discord card.

Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280
Twotribes

RE: GD 1938 - Gets an Update

Post by Twotribes »

Ok trying this out since I am frustrated at taking Norway right now. The static forces in Norway are to powerful for history sake. One German Division should be able to take every location assuming an air and naval attack on Oslo.

By the way the ore point should be in Narvik )
Favoritism is alive and well here.
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

Yes, i realize that, that the mining site should be nearer narvik... I made a mistake in placing it originally.
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

Italy has no ability to make light tank I.
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

Light tank Is are considered to be too old fashioned to be produced in the game. They are FT-17 type tanks, and the like.
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

The Italy should start with level II they were able to produce light tanks before the war started. Not sure on medium tanks cause they are so crappy for Italy But I know they had them when the war started.
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

The L6/40 was first produced in 1939. So it seems reasonable that the italians have to research it in order to get it.
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

The Italians are hard put to research much of anything with their limited production. And with you people insisting on starting the war in 38, I shudder to think of what the Italians face.
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

Well, to be precise, nobody is forcing anyone to declare war early, they can wait until 1939 in september, if they want or even later, but the game starts in 1938 in january.

But i believe bombur is working on some improvements for the italians so, don´t fret too much.
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

Why can't I send supplies to East Africa while Italy is at peace with Britain?
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

Ah yes, the East Africa dilemma.

I have tried to solve it many times, frankly the only way you could send supplies to it gamewise would be to own either Gibraltar or the Suez. For some reason, and probably a good one, ATG / AT:WW2, won´t allow you to send supplies across neutral ports to your own troops.

One way of solving it could be to make the Suez an Allied to all regimes, regime, and then make it go into british control when anyone declared war on the British. Or something like that... but it would require quite alot of coding for something that is relative little part of the game.

At the moment the Italian East African HQ has alot of supplies, enough to last quite a few years. If you don´t find it enough you can always try to take over a country like Persia or Arabia (via diplomacy), which has oil and then transfer the supplies to Italian East Africa. Or maybe even spain, as that country has a way past Gibraltar too.

There is also a more sneaky way of getting them supplies, once Japan or Germany is allied with Italy. Something that Bombur taught me, by accident. You can transfer units and supplies to HQs that are in ports, via ships, as if they are your own. Of course by then, things might be too hectic to anyone actually remembers to do it.

Another and more radical solution would be to rebuild the entire map, and alot of the coding, to something bigger, that made the straits of Gibraltar passable by ships. Of course while that might be the artisticly pleasing way of doing it, it might not be possible do to RAM constraints. Maps over the size of 200 hexes wide are tricky.
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

I build Machine guns and mortars in east Africa for the militia units and run out of supplies by early 1940.
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

I could also add an action card i guess, to give the closest HQ to a port in Italian East Africa supplies, for a cost naturally, that the Italians get while not at war with Britain... I guess...
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
ironduke1955

Post by ironduke1955 »

Ernieschwitz

With ATG randomly generated maps is it possible to replace the generic Unit types with the excellent historical unit types from GD1938. It would add more interest to the Random games if you could have Historic units.
Are we like late Rome, infatuated with past glories, ruled by a complacent, greedy elite, and hopelessly powerless to respond to changing conditions?

Jeffrey H.

Post by Jeffrey H. »

ORIGINAL: ironduke1955

Ernieschwitz

With ATG randomly generated maps is it possible to replace the generic Unit types with the excellent historical unit types from GD1938. It would add more interest to the Random games if you could have Historic units.

That's essentially Bomburs mod for random games. I think.
History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

ORIGINAL: ironduke1955
Ernieschwitz

To be completely honest (and I always try to be), I am not the one you can thank for the many different and accurate historical units. Bombur is the one who has been doing that wonderfull job. I have been doing all the programming, map making, cards, the scenario idea, and description of the scenario. Bombur has done Units, Historical research, Techs, and such. OOBs have been a shared job that me and Bombur have undertaken.

Bombur would really be the best suited to transfering the historical units to a newer version of the random game engine, with officers, if he wanted. He has also some experience with creating mods that allow for random games. I don´t, have alot of experience in that area.

At times I think people forget the invaluable assistance I have recieved from Bombur. I think it is time for us to recognize the enormous work he too has put into this project.
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
ironduke1955

Post by ironduke1955 »

Thanks Jeff I will take a look at it.
Are we like late Rome, infatuated with past glories, ruled by a complacent, greedy elite, and hopelessly powerless to respond to changing conditions?

ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

Tirelessly working on an update and new features for this Mod.

I hope people are going to like the changes i am going to implement and have implemented during the last couple of weeks of programming.
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
ironduke1955

Post by ironduke1955 »

Great news [:)]

ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

A small hint of things to come? Anyone spot any differences?

Attachments
NewGD1938.jpg
NewGD1938.jpg (358.26 KiB) Viewed 633 times
  • Advanced Tactics Gold

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”