One Question and One Suggestion

Post new maps, scenarios, estabs and mods here to share with other gamers.

Moderators: Arjuna, Panther Paul

ChrisMaiorana

One Question and One Suggestion

Post by ChrisMaiorana »

Is there a German Infantry Field Artillery Regt in the estab files? I've looked multiple times and the highest level unit I can find is at a battalion level.

Also, a suggestion would be to create a way to filter the estab force lists by unit level. If this exists, can someone share how here?

Thanks.

Chris
ChrisMaiorana

RE: One Question and One Suggestion

Post by ChrisMaiorana »

Actually forget my suggestion. It's probably not a good use of a developer's time based on the amount of people that are likely using the editor. I will muddle through! :)
Lieste

Post by Lieste »

I can pretty much guarantee you won't want anything as large as a Regt (of the 2-3 Bn type) as a single entity*. If you want such a unit, I'd group 2-3 Bn and a base unit under an HQ - they can be used to bombard en-mass by ordering the HQ to bombard, or can fire separate Bn missions.
* with the possible exception of 1945 "Armies" or some Soviet units badly depleted in fighting or which exist only on paper - here a Regt Kampfgruppe might be a heavily reinforced company sized grouping.

While there isn't a way of quickly finding all artillery units of size III, in the Estab Editor it is possible to use "Window">"Find Estabs by Text">(Regt) (or 105mm or 10.5cm etc - you need to be specific and appropriate but not *too* specific, and use the results intelligently - click the entries in the list box to open their page). You can also select "sort by HQ/name" which places all artillery units after their branch/unit HQs, but you still have to browse the whole list ~ it can be faster because there is a consistency to the order while the 'natural' list order is based on ID no and does no sort. I don't know without checking whether the similar function is available within the Scn Editor - I know the sort order can be set, but haven't tried searching (the possibility doesn't 'ring a bell' though)

Note that the UK Artillery Regt is a Bn sized formation and some of these are present.
ChrisMaiorana

Post by ChrisMaiorana »

Hi Lieste. Thanks for your response! I probably wasn't clear, I was just looking for the TAC HQ unit for a regiment not the regiment itself. For the scenario I am working on I've broken the artillery units out by battalion and battery.

Thanks for the sorting tip also. I am going to try that this morning. Appreciate it!

Chris
Perturabo

Post by Perturabo »

I tend to group arty bns under infantry HQs and then use them as a single regiment.
ChrisMaiorana

Post by ChrisMaiorana »

Thanks Perturabo! Good idea.

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”