[FIXED B479][Not Fixed] AMSL and AGL Confusion?

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.

Moderator: MOD_Command

bsq

[FIXED B479][Not Fixed] AMSL and AGL Confusion?

Post by bsq »

In a similar vein to the issues about missile cruise heights (as reported here tm.asp?m=3482884 ) I have noticed that there is confusion between the measure of altitudes.

I cannot post a file with this, because I am suffering from the bug that causes the game to lock after a few seconds (and frankly I am past the point when I can be bothered with the 'quick fix' whilst waiting for your build to drop)

So here's what I see (consistently).

Sub launches UGM-109's at Syrian facilities (inland). Not many of them make it and I am wondering why, especially as I have now 'grounded' the Syrian AF during these strikes.

Once they are within 10 nm of the coast, I switch to Syrian side to see whats going on. Sure enough the Syrian radars have detected the tomahawks. I try to engage with missile battery manually - get told the missiles are below 65 feet, the minimum altitude for my SAM of choice - so far so good.

Switch sides, check the tomahawks and yes they are 60 feet AMSL...

Let it run and they are now over land... Now they start to explode...

Switch sides to Syria, sure enough the SAM is now firing at the missiles BECAUSE they are now flying 60 feet AGL, which at that point is 375 feet AMSL and the AI thinks they are in envelope - which they are not! OOPS!

So if SAMs and other sensor stuff is modelled AMSL and altitudes of cruise missiles is AGL - we have a problem [:D]

PS - The (not so) Quick Fix for the crash bug

The only way I fix this bug that causes the game to lock after a few seconds is to completely re-boot my computer and I am not continually doing that, so I get one test out of the scenario and then I just go back to editing it until the next time I have to really have re-boot the computer - seems to me like it crocks your whole system and not just that instance of the game - which would be why you are seeing so many people reporting 'it locks every time I run x or y scenario'
mikmykWS

RE: AMSL and AGL Confusion?

Post by mikmykWS »

I've logged and we'll look at the altitude issues.

As far as the issue restarting you likely have a command instance still running. To end this and restart without restarting your computer just hit control-alt-delete, task manager, processes, find the command 32 process and shut it down. You can then restart command.

Attachments
taskmon.jpg
taskmon.jpg (111.81 KiB) Viewed 258 times
Dimitris

Post by Dimitris »

THANKS A MILLION! That was a great catch!

Fixed in Build 479.
bsq

Post by bsq »

Running 479 and it still is not correct. They still intercepted the tomahawks west of the ridge (when fired from the East) and the tomahawks were only 60 ft AGL...

I also noticed that a pair of SA-17's flew clean through the ridge (altitude was 2800, ridge at 3300)
Dimitris

Post by Dimitris »

Can you please post a save demonstrating this? I tested this repeatedly and I'm pretty certain we nailed it.
bsq

Post by bsq »

EDIT
Ok here is the save. Not quite the same as happened the last time I ran it, but close enough.
The firing unit is the SA-17 co-located with the SA-2 at HOMS SA-2 Site.
It traces LOS to the inbound missiles through the ridge despite the missiles being below the ridge line at that point.
Several other sensors are 'claiming' to be tracking the flight of four missiles, some even through 6 or 7 thousand feet of terrain.
This time, after 1 of the 4 survived the SA-17 onslaught, an SA-3 fired on it. This is the SA-3 with the stated 65 feet lower limit shooting at a tomahawk at 60 feet AGL... Destroying it when detonating at 7600 feet - 7540 feet above its target.
Think there are lots of issues here with SAM logic... and the way terrain interacts with them...

EDIT 2
Think I have managed to merge two reported issues here LOS and Altitude...
Attachments
The Big St..OS Issue.zip
(374.74 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
bsq

Post by bsq »

Bump

Still doing most of this in 1.02 (B480) sorry

Will move this to another thread as there are lots of issues here but the premise that missile LOS was off, appears to have been fixed, only for another more serious issue to show itself (which will take me a while to describe)

Return to “Tech Support”