Interesting, but i dont know

Pandora: First Contact is a science-fiction turn-based strategy game of epic scale. The player leads his chosen human faction over multiple centuries on a newly discovered earth-like planet into an unknown future. Pandora features research, diplomacy, economy, warfare and endless replayability with the exploration of exciting and randomly-generated worlds.

Moderator: MOD_Proxy Studios

Rising-Sun

Interesting, but i dont know

Post by Rising-Sun »

I hate buying games that doesnt feel right or lack of something than polishing it. I love playing Alpha Centauri, but how different is it? It look like its between Master of Orion II and Civ 5.

How is the AIs, is it modable? How big is the tech tree and can you do things like in Alpha Centauri??
Rising-Sun

RE: Interesting, but i dont know

Post by Rising-Sun »

ORIGINAL: BTJ

This should answer a lot of questions: [:)]

http://www.spacesector.com/blog/2013/12/pandora-first-contact-review/

Thank BTJ, that alot of reading heh. Is it possible for me to get the manual and see what it has to offer before buying it? I didnt realise it was out in Nov 13', no wonder its not on holiday sale :(

Anyway i wont pay 30 for it, unless i take a look at the manual and see how it compare to Alpha Centauri. Already wasted alot of money on games and wont do that again unless i know that what i wanted.
BTJ

Post by BTJ »

ORIGINAL: RisingSun

Thank BTJ, that alot of reading heh. Is it possible for me to get the manual and see what it has to offer before buying it? I didnt realise it was out in Nov 13', no wonder its not on holiday sale :(

Anyway i wont pay 30 for it, unless i take a look at the manual and see how it compare to Alpha Centauri. Already wasted alot of money on games and wont do that again unless i know that what i wanted.

Yes, there is a thread called "PDF manual" in this forum. There is a link too. However, the manual was a topic of debate... It is more lore than mechanics, as far as I've heard (did not read it myself).
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

Yes, there is a thread called "PDF manual" in this forum. There is a link too. However, the manual was a topic of debate... It is more lore than mechanics, as far as I've heard (did not read it myself).

Cool, thank you i check into it.
BTJ

Post by BTJ »

Das123 is doing an interesting "Let's play":

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLGB6RkFB7ZmMtOGMI8OdSaEdHMpP2Znox

For me looking at this kind of videos always helps best to decide whether to buy or not.
Apheirox

Post by Apheirox »

It is a reasonably good game and it doesn't cost that much. There's also the prospect of the developer's promise that 'they're in it for the long haul', ie. we can expect many updates. The devs are highly active and communicate with the players.

I hate buying games that doesnt feel right or lack of something than polishing it. I love playing Alpha Centauri, but how different is it? It look like its between Master of Orion II and Civ 5.

How is the AIs, is it modable? How big is the tech tree and can you do things like in Alpha Centauri??

- It is simpler than the almighty SMAC, it doesn't have the same depth. It is faster and easier to play, can be an enjoyable change of pace

- It is a lot more like Civ V than Master of Orion. SMAC is the clear inspiration, though

- The AI is very good and actually poses a somewhat reasonable challenge. The only thing it can't do properly is naval combat (same as Civ V). Extremely good effort for such a small company. Don't know about moddability but I suspect it isn't high

- Tech tree isn't that big and pretty bland tbh, it basically runs the same sequence of techs three times, increasing them in power. However, it still works well for what it's trying to do.

There is at least one let's play on YouTube - go watch.
Solaristics

Post by Solaristics »

ORIGINAL: Apheirox

- The AI is very good and actually poses a somewhat reasonable challenge.

I think the challenge comes from the bonuses the AI gets to morale at higher difficulty levels, enabling it to outproduce the player, coupled with the tendency of certain factions to rush players who do not keep up militarily. In terms of how intelligently it plays, its seems an average 4X AI to me more or less.
Terl

Post by Terl »

Wow, this looks pretty fun :) Thanks BTJ for posting the video links. Definitely a good watch and made me want the game.

And as an extra bonus it is available for Linux...woohoo :)
unsubstantiation

Post by unsubstantiation »

Personally I feel it's alpha centauri on the Civ 4 engine. Which i enjoy a lot. It looks good, and its fun. More development on it would be nice, but probably wont happen. There aren't enough factions, so I added 6 more on my mod, some of whioh are very similar to alpha centauri.
beautifulacacia.com

Return to “Pandora Series”