aviation support

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Rexor

aviation support

Post by Rexor »

When I look at Pearl and see aviation support of "300 + 112", what's the "+112" coming from?
"Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe." (H.G. Wells)
mind_messing

RE: aviation support

Post by mind_messing »

ORIGINAL: Rexor

When I look at Pearl and see aviation support of "300 + 112", what's the "+112" coming from?

Seaplane tenders.
Rexor

Post by Rexor »

Ahhh. Cheers.
"Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe." (H.G. Wells)
Sardaukar

Post by Sardaukar »

Remember that seaplane tenders can support only seaplanes and amphibious planes. AvSupport can support both.
"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

An interesting divide as I am guessing that the support represents not only a mechanic (which can quickly move from one type of aircraft to another) but also parts support (which can not do so easily). Is that the logic used behind this barrier?
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

My understanding is that seaplanes require a differnt level of support than landbases AC. So the Navy designed special ships that would follow the seaplanes around so they could land anywhere.

As a pilot and have been around AC mechinics, they do not work like plumbers or auto mechnics. One size does not fit all. An AC mechanic is very specilized and can only work on specific AC. So a mechanic that can repair a B17 cannot work on a PBY as the systems are too different. However, the game assumes that all ground based AC support contains all the right types to work on whatever planes happen to be there. Not very realisitic given one day turns, but imagine if you had support for each type of AC in the game [X(] that had to be at an AF for the planes to fly lol.

The difference in game terms for Seaplanes to be different is beacuse everything the seaplane needs, mechnics included, was on a ship, not on land. So technically, seaplanes should not be able to fly at all unless a tender was in the base hex. It was felt that the seaplanes were different enough of a plane type to warrent a special support class just for them. Which I think was a good call as seaplanes are different enough to not be lumped into the 'any plane, any support will do' group [:)].

I hope this helps.
packerpete

Post by packerpete »

I thought is was a more realistic way to represent the capability of the seaplane. It is pretty difficult to ship a small detachment with supplies and land them somewhere and fly aircraft all in one day.

That being said, I wish they would put some kind of limit on how many sorties that one ship can support. It used to be that the AV's and AVD's had to have supplies loaded and would draw from them as normal sorties on land would. Now I think they are limitless. Am I correct on this assumption?

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”