Is the game supposed to look like this?

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.

Moderator: MOD_WestCiv

fierman

Is the game supposed to look like this?

Post by fierman »

I _did_ install and play the demo before deciding to purchase the game, but I can't remember having personal problems with the resolution of the graphics.
Running the game in 1280x1024, 32bits, 1GB dx9 videcard, windows 7.

my ' problem' : the gameboard looks like it has been scanned in a very low resolution, and then 'blown up' afterwards. When zooming in even a bit slightly, the gameboard looks very blurry, and details can hardly be distinguished. On the other hand: the counters are only really readable when zooming in and on lower zoomlevels, I can't really read them.

So my question: is it me, is it my computer system, or is it the game? :)

(apart from this, I _do_ enjoy playing it!)

Screenshot which I hope illustrates what I am trying to explain:

Attachments
atb_coh_01.jpg
atb_coh_01.jpg (323.94 KiB) Viewed 227 times
tsnouffer

RE: Is the game supposed to look like this?

Post by tsnouffer »

Yeah, that doesn't look right to me. I booted up in low-res mode, set graphics to lowest settings (not sure that matters for boardgame-style maps) and it was sharper for me:

Games from the Front
rickier65

Post by rickier65 »

You might check your system preferences. Try choosing giant sized board game maps and see if that improves it? It's hard to compare image quality, but I think mine look clearer than what your screen shot depict.

Thanks
Rick
fierman

Post by fierman »

ORIGINAL: Rick

You might check your system preferences. Try choosing giant sized board game maps and see if that improves it? It's hard to compare image quality, but I think mine look clearer than what your screen shot depict.

Thanks
Rick

Thank you. I completely overlooked that setting indeed. Choosing giant-sized in the boardgame-style map option fixed it for me. Nice!
PKH

Post by PKH »

It looks like you have the bloom effect on. You can check that also.
Lebatron

Post by Lebatron »

Yes that looks exactly like the bloom effect. Tried it once and asked myself what the heck is this setting in here for??????? Who would prefer an overly bright washed out look? It was an ill conceived idea to add this effect in. I doubt anybody uses it. Those that are, are probably doing so unintentionally and would actually be pleased if someone pointed out to them the game does not have to look like that. It should be patched out.
Jesse LeBreton, AKA Lebatron
Development team- GG's WAW A World Divided
fierman

Post by fierman »

I didn't even know what the bloom effect was supposed to do :) But in all fairness: that option is disabled per default. Giant-sized gameboards on the other hand is also disabled per default. It would make sense maybe to have that option enabled, so that new players do get a fair sense of what the graphics are supposed to look like. On low-end systems the user then always could disable that option. Maybe for the next patch? :)

Also, mouse-over hints in the settings menu would be helpful as well. Not everyone keeps him/herself updated all the time with graphics libraries lingo.
tsnouffer

Post by tsnouffer »

I don't use giant-sized boards and my maps are still sharp.

Games from the Front

Return to “Tech Support”