Netherlands in N/D 39

Share your best strategies and tactics with other players by posting them here.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

alexvand

Netherlands in N/D 39

Post by alexvand »

What is the best way to attack the Netherlands in N/D 39?

Just looking for advice as I start a new solo game after learning a lot of how not to do things in my first solo game.
are

RE: Netherlands in N/D 39

Post by are »

I put two infantry and an artillery piece with move 4 west of Bremen, Rundstedt, a high-factor armor and a cheap div west of Düsseldorf. Add in artillery in Essen ground support (Stukas) on call if possible.

Two ways to defend Netherlands: If you have nothing which can move into Amsterdam he will set up in Rotterdam so only one stack can hit him. With this setup he is better of setting up in Amsterdam so you can't overrun his fleet in the surprise impulse. The artillery can shoot at Amsterdam from the hex to the east of it. You should have no problem getting a 10:1 attack, and with HQ support this attack is guaranteed to succeed even in snow. In rain, storm or Blizzard he will set up in Rotterdam so you only get one stack on him.
Extraneous

Post by Extraneous »

ZOCs don’t extend: Option 20: (Surprised ZoCs) from a surprised unit
Land units are not halved when attacking a surprised land unit across a river or canal hexside (even if some other unit in the hex is not surprised). They still suffer the adverse effects of invasions and attacks across straits hexsides.

On the 1st Allied impulse the Commonwealth and France DoW Germany.

On the 2nd Axis impulse Germany calls up its reserves.
At the end of the impulse Germany uses a Headquarters (Von Leeb 5-(2)-3 will do) to reorganize XLVI MECH 8-6 (Res) in Dusseldorf and I INF (Res) 9-4 in Essen.

On the 3rd Axis impulse Germany DoWs the Netherlands.

If the Allies place the Netherlands I INF 4-3 in Rotterdam
The XLVI MECH takes Amsterdam and the I INF is in Arnhem. Both are now adjacent to Rotterdam.

If the Allies place the Netherlands I INF 4-3 in Amsterdam
The XLVI MECH takes Rotterdam and then joins the I INF is in Arnhem. Both are now adjacent to Amsterdam.

If the Allies place the Netherlands I INF 4-3 in the way of the Arnhem
choose the Blitz table crush it like a grape break through to Amsterdam and Rotterdam.

If the Allies place the Netherlands I INF 4-3 anywhere else in the Netherlands
The XLVI MECH takes Amsterdam and the I INF takes Rotterdam.

The odds are 17 to 4 (or 4.25 to 1). If Germany wants to use Air support it gets really nasty for the Netherlands.

see Europe map? Post# 17

[:D] "It's springtime for Hitler and Germany winter for Poland and France" - The Producers (1967) [:D]

University of Science Music and Culture (USMC) class of 71 and 72 ~ Extraneous (AKA Mziln)
markb50k

Post by markb50k »

Is Option 20 : Surprised ZOCs implemented? For some reason I thought it wasnt.
Extraneous

Post by Extraneous »

Your right but maybe they will fix it.

But alex_van_d did ask for the easiest way.
University of Science Music and Culture (USMC) class of 71 and 72 ~ Extraneous (AKA Mziln)
Ur_Vile_WEdge

Post by Ur_Vile_WEdge »

The real key in attacking the Dutch is to do so after the British are out of position to reinforce Rotterdam. The real reason you want to attack is to start in the city when you attack Belgium, and outflank pesky Dyle defenses.

If you're playing with no ZoC on surprise impulses, I would honestly recommend you leave the Netherlands alone. just go barreling into Belgium, and ooze around the holes in their lines. Don't give the CW those extra 10 convoys and the transport.
"When beset by danger,
When in deadly doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout."
alexvand

Post by alexvand »

Thanks for the advice!

I went for Yugoslavia in the 3rd impulse to get align Romania early.

So I'll be attacking the Netherlands next. (Not using no-ZOC rule, so I need to have the hexes to get into Belgium.)

Return to “The War Room”