I hope Matrix doesnt make us use STEAM to buy games in the future

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Rocko911

I hope Matrix doesnt make us use STEAM to buy games in the future

Post by Rocko911 »

I sure hope the push into using STEAM for Panzer Corps doesn't bode for the direction they are going on releases down the road. I absolutely hate steam and no longer by games that only distribute or use it.
Boomer78

RE: I hope Matrix doesnt make us use STEAM to buy games in the future

Post by Boomer78 »

Matrix would probably one of the last... but I never say never. Plenty of other distributors have said no until the point that they said yes. Steam is now 80% of the PC gaming market, and doesn't look to be slowing down any time soon. It's like a plague that everyone pretends is chocolate ice cream. But whatever, people can do what they want. I'll steer clear of the giant black plague virus that is infecting the world with it's auto patching, online only, stick your finger in the socket, DRM-loving game platform of doom.
"Fly, god dammit it fly! God damn cheap Japanese flying packs!"
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

Hey stardock did it and they were the ones that talked about consumers rights and all that crap. As I've said so many times before it's all about the money publishers and developers don't care about us or what we want or think. Only if it benefits them will they listen and then I'm skeptical.

The only good thing about it is that 'most' games end up $5 someday and that means cheap and a bargain for me. [:D]
dutchman55555

Post by dutchman55555 »

Wait! What's that I hear? Drinkers of Kool-Aid questioning what's in the cup?

I think this is the best news to come out of Matrix in a long while. They will have a platform where over 6 million customers (Steam Stats) visit daily. If even one tenth of a percent buy the game, that's 6000 more sales...again, that's if literally 99.9% of Steam users ignore the game.

Matrix needs to carefully examine its price points, as well as its willingness to sell at a discount. Handle this correctly and both the company and the community win; bobble this and the chance will never come again.
NavalNewZ

Post by NavalNewZ »

If you look at this thread from February, you will see both Iain and Erik make comments regarding connections with Steam tm.asp?m=3282644&mpage=1&key=steam&#3282917
My interpretation is that there is no intention of having an exclusive tie to Steam - logically, I don't see why they would need to. Customers can simply choose which distribution method suits them.
..there seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today
Boomer78

Post by Boomer78 »

ORIGINAL: dutchman55555

Wait! What's that I hear? Drinkers of Kool-Aid questioning what's in the cup?

I think this is the best news to come out of Matrix in a long while. They will have a platform where over 6 million customers (Steam Stats) visit daily. If even one tenth of a percent buy the game, that's 6000 more sales...again, that's if literally 99.9% of Steam users ignore the game.

Matrix needs to carefully examine its price points, as well as its willingness to sell at a discount. Handle this correctly and both the company and the community win; bobble this and the chance will never come again.

If they offered Steam and non-Steam release options, sure why not. It would please both sides. But when Steam sticks its head in the tent, you soon find the whole Steam camel inside the tent. Paradox is a good example. They went from no-Steam, to Steam optional, to basically saying 'it's too expensive to manage 2 different release versions, so we're going with just Steam from now on.'

Again, Steam doesn't play well with others. It feeds, expands, takes over all other life forms, and moves on to the next organism to absorb. A free market has plenty of room for companies like Valve to use a system like Steamworks. But when Steam BECOMES the market, I have a problem with it. And anyone else should too. But hey, so what... another Steam sale. Time to save 3 bucks on yet another game I'll probably never play.

Steam isn't just taking over the gaming world, it has been scientifically proven to kill brain cells. That's why I'm a cautious supporter of the soon to be released SteamOS. Let them go console and take the whole damn Steam community with them. They're lemmings anyway. Let them dive over the cliff of insanity. Just give us back our open source PC gaming world. The one that hasn't been seen in some time.
upen

Post by upen »

If the 'open source' PC gaming world is the model Matrix offers, with games costing over $50 while on sale over 4 years after release you can keep it. I've been waiting for Panzer Corps to get greenlit on steam for months and plan to buy it the day it comes out on that platform. Purchasing and managing my games from Matrix is a royal pain compared to steam so I'd prefer to have my games on there anyways. That's even before you get into the fact it feels like Matrix is trying to squeeze every cent it can out of me because I'm a captive market and they (were) the only ones offering the games I'm interested in.

I would love to see some of Matrix's 'premium' games come out on other platforms so they'd have to actually compete instead of just gouging their customers.
histgamer

Post by histgamer »

I hate the concept of price gouging. It's not gouging if it's something people are willing to pay for. I might take exception to necessities for life like bread and water but if it's a luxury good which PC games are and people are willing to pay for it it's not gouging. Maybe it's priced higher than a point which will allow them to capture maximum revenue but that doesn't mean it's gouging.
ORIGINAL: upen

If the 'open source' PC gaming world is the model Matrix offers, with games costing over $50 while on sale over 4 years after release you can keep it. I've been waiting for Panzer Corps to get greenlit on steam for months and plan to buy it the day it comes out on that platform. Purchasing and managing my games from Matrix is a royal pain compared to steam so I'd prefer to have my games on there anyways. That's even before you get into the fact it feels like Matrix is trying to squeeze every cent it can out of me because I'm a captive market and they (were) the only ones offering the games I'm interested in.

I would love to see some of Matrix's 'premium' games come out on other platforms so they'd have to actually compete instead of just gouging their customers.
histgamer

Post by histgamer »

Also these are the glory days for steam. In fact the glory days may already be past. I think you will see steams market share remain very very strong but developers will began to become disillusioned with the platform which is rapidly becoming their only viable outlet. You will see the market take on a very mobile feel where only a handful of developers do well and the rest are simply never discovered, I predict that result is probably only 2-3 years away. Not that it's a bad move for Matrix, it's probably a smart move to offer the product there and here.
Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

One of the irony's here is that Slitherine/Matrix won't take any developer that doesn't sign with them exclusively.
Also these are the glory days for steam. In fact the glory days may already be past.

I think I could say the same for Matrix. I've been a staunch supporter and defender of them for many years, but there's no denying that this is a different company than it was 5 years ago. I've recently had my eyes opened for me and tbh, after purchasing over 50 of their games, unless they come through with something revolutionary, I'm pretty apathetic to whatever happens to them. They've become a Steam-lite imo.
**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford
dutchman55555

Post by dutchman55555 »

ORIGINAL: Boomer78

Steam isn't just taking over the gaming world, it has been scientifically proven to kill brain cells.

Now that's one scientific study I simply must see. Source? Or, as Reddit would put it, OP will surely deliver...
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

It has been scientifically analyzed that chimpanzees don't like steam. They prefer a banana over steam. [:D]
dutchman55555

Post by dutchman55555 »

ORIGINAL: upen

If the 'open source' PC gaming world is the model Matrix offers, with games costing over $50 while on sale over 4 years after release you can keep it.

And to top it off, with Matrix's contraction of their market into a small set of near identical online stores, as well as their extremely tight control on branding and copyright, they're pretty much as far away from "open source" as Steam is.
Crimguy

Post by Crimguy »

I do, to some extent, understand Missouri Rebel's sentiment. I feel there has been a lot of rehashing of older titles over the past few years. But, there's also been some really awesome releases over the past few years as well.

That being said, as a guy who plays hooky at work every now and then, I love steams ability to install the titles on every computer I own, easily. Steam cloud is fantastic as well. And being able buy both the mac and windows version is like getting a 2 for 1 at times.

I don't like the online requirement,but after suffering through Battlefronts activation system, and Starforce before that, I'll take Steam's setup any day. It takes some liberties away, but gives some back that other publishing companies do not.
Crimguy

Post by Crimguy »

I should add Matrix current setup is my favorite of all companies. Kudos for that.

Post by dutchman55555 »

ORIGINAL: Crimguy

I don't like the online requirement,but after suffering through Battlefronts activation system, and Starforce before that, I'll take Steam's setup any day. It takes some liberties away, but gives some back that other publishing companies do not.
Yup.

No more worrying how many more activations I have, or how many PCs I can install before some magical limit is used up. No more monitoring the hard drive space to see how long until I need to buy a new one. Install a game, play it, delete when I move on, and if I take a fancy to it again DL once more. They use Cloud savefiles, and there's no need to reauthorize something I've owned for years. All automatic. As are updates.

Add to that the sheer number of games available for purchase, the constant deep discounts (I bought Train Simulator 2014 and plenty of DLC during the recent sale...I would never have purchased what I did for the wholesale $400, but at $50 I could try it out without being worried if it didn't deliver...it does, btw, so lucky me), their support of Independent developers, their focus on listening to their customers/community, and their constant efforts at upgrades and innovation to the way they sell and the way we buy...if I've drunk any Kool-Aid it's the Valve-flavoured kind. Valve knows online, geek-oriented, gamer-oriented customer service like no one else in the biz. They have massive loyalty because they earn such loyalty.
gradenko2k

Post by gradenko2k »

ORIGINAL: flanyboy

Also these are the glory days for steam. In fact the glory days may already be past. I think you will see steams market share remain very very strong but developers will began to become disillusioned with the platform which is rapidly becoming their only viable outlet. You will see the market take on a very mobile feel where only a handful of developers do well and the rest are simply never discovered, I predict that result is probably only 2-3 years away. Not that it's a bad move for Matrix, it's probably a smart move to offer the product there and here.

Citation needed? Steam's userbase has only grown year-on-year-on-year, to a peak of about 7 million concurrent users as of last week's Thanksgiving sales. Since then, they've added a Big Picture mode to make Steam play well with controller-based living room gaming, fixed offline mode, Steam Greenlight, Steam Early Access and are trying to break out into the hardware and OS markets.

Your claim about how "only a handful of developers do well" doesn't follow either, because Steam's accessibility has been a powerful tool towards the recent revival of the strength of indie developers and small-scale studios. There are literally dozens of indie success stories owing to the power of digital distribution starting from as early as Braid in 2008, and more closely to the wargaming niche in the form of Unity of Command, RUSE/Wargame European Escalation and the Paradox titles.

To the point, why would developers be disillusioned about Steam being the "only" platform when the platform has shown itself to be extremely effective?
Boomer78

Post by Boomer78 »

ORIGINAL: dutchman55555

ORIGINAL: Boomer78

Steam isn't just taking over the gaming world, it has been scientifically proven to kill brain cells.

Now that's one scientific study I simply must see. Source? Or, as Reddit would put it, OP will surely deliver...

It's been scientifically proven that some people just don't understand sarcasm.
histgamer

Post by histgamer »

ORIGINAL: gradenko_2000
ORIGINAL: flanyboy

Citation needed? Steam's userbase has only grown year-on-year-on-year, to a peak of about 7 million concurrent users as of last week's Thanksgiving sales. Since then, they've added a Big Picture mode to make Steam play well with controller-based living room gaming, fixed offline mode, Steam Greenlight, Steam Early Access and are trying to break out into the hardware and OS markets.

Your claim about how "only a handful of developers do well" doesn't follow either, because Steam's accessibility has been a powerful tool towards the recent revival of the strength of indie developers and small-scale studios. There are literally dozens of indie success stories owing to the power of digital distribution starting from as early as Braid in 2008, and more closely to the wargaming niche in the form of Unity of Command, RUSE/Wargame European Escalation and the Paradox titles.

To the point, why would developers be disillusioned about Steam being the "only" platform when the platform has shown itself to be extremely effective?

You've missed my point.

My point is not that Steam will suffer, far from it, Steam will continue to do very well. However Steam doing well is not the same thing as the industry or the developers doing well. Steams userbase continues to grow but with the easing of the tight control over games that get posted will result in an app store effect.

I can cite articles out the ying yang about how mobile developers almost entirely fail with a few exceptions. In terms of marketing it actually costs more now to convince someone to buy a mobile game than it you can charge that customer for. The Apple App Store and Google Play store are doing better than ever but the developers are not. The markets are flooded with games and continue to be flooded with more games. Pricing is on the floor and the majority of developers have struggled there. Matrix may have hit on something with not being afraid to price games at a premium on the mobile market.

Mobile developers struggle for two reasons, one many of them are superficial games with little replayablity. And probably the biggest reason there is a huge influx of games so that many decent games and apps never even get found. 60% of mobile apps are never downloaded once from the iPhone App Store.

Steam is not yet like that, but over the last year Greenlight has sped up the approval process and with almost all developers flooding into Steam the market will become saturated and flooded. While great games are presently easy to find it wont be so forever. Self published steam titles may well get lost in the muck and it may require a full fledged publisher within a few years to do well even in self publishing markets like steam.

This is all hypothetical of course but the lesson of the playstore and app store are pretty stark and at the rate steam is expanding its starting to look more and more like this will happen there also.
Perturabo

Post by Perturabo »

There's also GoG and HumbleStore. Both do discounts and are pretty popular. GoG recently started including new games.

Return to “General Discussion”