Mind Games...again. Mind_Messing (J) Vs Miller (A) No Miller!

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

mind_messing

Mind Games...again. Mind_Messing (J) Vs Miller (A) No Miller!

Post by mind_messing »

After my other opponent promptly dropped from the radar (no less than a week after I started AAR'ing the game), I've decided to start up another PBEM taking on the Japanese side after finding an opponent in record time.

Myself and Miller will be fighting it out in Scenario 1, vannila flavoured. It seems we both share a somewhat wary view on some of the more popular mods that have been released just now, of which I'm glad, as the stock game is daunting enough as it stands.

The Japanese Warplan

China will, as always, be a big focus for me. Based on very early observations from the Dec 7th turn, Chinese forces seem to be conducting a general withdrawal from frontline areas. A mixed blessing, as I'll be able to extract the troops from the Ichang salient and take territory for free, but it means the Chinese, when they do fight, will be stronger than they would have been otherwise.

I'll be somewhat more cautious in the Pacific. The usual perimiter, plus New Caledonia will be about the limit of the Japanese advance. Fiji may or may not be taken, depending on the level of Allied commitment to the region.

I'll take the Aleutians up to Dutch Harbour. Perhaps Cold Bay, again depending on what the Allies send up that way. If I can get it cheap, all the better. If it draws Allied units from other theaters to force me to pay a price, even better.

Burma and the DEI as per usual, and Northern Austrailia to round off the meal.

Dec 7th, 1941

An overwhelming disapointment for Japan. Scarce a half-dozen torpedo hits on Pearl Harbour. All the midget subs fail. The airfields take a good beating, so good, in fact, that I'll risk a 2nd day strike in the hope of actually sinking something with an American flag on it.

The customary sweeps over Singapore and the Phillipines net a decent haul for minimal losses.

A Dutch sub lands a torpedo on a AK, hopefully a statistical fluke and not the start of a trend!

Comments, as always, are welcome!
Simonsez

RE: Mind Games...again. Mind_Messing (J) Vs Miller (A) No Miller!

Post by Simonsez »

Since he is fleeing for the hills in China, what are your thoughts on PP spending for China? Spending PP on ARM for China operations would not seem to be a priority, so will you go with Heavy ART, more INF and some combat ENG or do you have ideas on spending PP to further your options elsewhere? It's always precious at the begining, but do you envision increasing tempo in China to counter the pullback or not?

Interesting decision I think.
Simonsez

It's a trap!
mind_messing

Post by mind_messing »

ORIGINAL: Simonsez

Since he is fleeing for the hills in China, what are your thoughts on PP spending for China? Spending PP on ARM for China operations would not seem to be a priority, so will you go with Heavy ART, more INF and some combat ENG or do you have ideas on spending PP to further your options elsewhere? It's always precious at the begining, but do you envision increasing tempo in China to counter the pullback or not?

Interesting decision I think.

From my own experiance, running for the hills in China is the only real viable strategy for the Allies, but it needs to be done right.

Defend forward and the Chinese get slaughtered in the open plains and once they are routed, they don't stop running. Run too much and you give the Japanese player a free hand. It's striking the middle ground of withdrawing and defending that makes China too hard.

I'll not spend any PP's for China directly. What I plan to do is send any reinforcements bought from Manchuko for elsewhere (ie, Pacific, Burma or the DEI) to spend some time in China to build experiance. It sounds good on paper, sending the heavy guns and mixed regiments/brigades to China to sharpen up before being shipped off to a Pacific atoll to fight to the last. Let us see if it works for real.

I'll buy out some more air units for China, as even the trashy one-engine bombers that Japan gets can be of some help here.
moore4807

Post by moore4807 »

Do you move your Manchuko airplanes forward to Jehol? I found that changing the light bombers to 1C Sally's allows them a pretty far reach into N China from Jehol. and you don't have to buy those units out, just AB & supplies increased at Jehol.

I hope it helps.
obvert

Post by obvert »

Miller will give you a great game, and he is courteous, solid and reliable. Looking forward to this one!

Advice on second day Pearl strike. Surface forces can sortie effectively, so prepare for that.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
mind_messing

Post by mind_messing »

ORIGINAL: moore4807

Do you move your Manchuko airplanes forward to Jehol? I found that changing the light bombers to 1C Sally's allows them a pretty far reach into N China from Jehol. and you don't have to buy those units out, just AB & supplies increased at Jehol.

I hope it helps.

Yup, already got some Sallies at Jehol and engineers are on the way to build that base up a level or two to support the campaign on Yennan. I will buy out the single-engine bombers to use in China directly and upgrade them to two-enginged bombers at a later date, as I think it works out cheaper that way than changing them to 2E first then buying them out.

ORIGINAL: obvert

Miller will give you a great game, and he is courteous, solid and reliable. Looking forward to this one!

Advice on second day Pearl strike. Surface forces can sortie effectively, so prepare for that.

Good to hear good things about Miller. It's the opponents that make or break games.

Regarding the second day strike: please, god, I don't want to have the KB wiped out on turn two! Hopefully a feint to the North-West and five hexes of searoom will be enough!
Mike McCreery

Post by Mike McCreery »

I will be watching this one ;]
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

Glad to see Miller wasn´t deterred by his last opponent who turned out to out to be a 2 year old child who just entered the "No! I don whanna buuuwhaaaa" phase. [8|]

Good luck! Miller is probably one of the most experienced players around. He will give you a good fight! [:)]
Simonsez

Post by Simonsez »

I'm trying something a little new (for me anyway) in the Chinese theater to potentially speed up clearing of the interior and front lne Chinese held bases. Since the start of the war, I have been using one Betty Sentai based on Formosa to pummel the airfield at one Chinese base ever couple of turns. I am getting consistant 20+ hits from the unit on airfileds and once I get 50+ on a base, I let in-theater based assets take over and I move on to another base. I am hoping to keep fort building down to a minimum at the bases I want to take and that is hard to achieve with the locally based aircraft which now also incluse 3 Sally and one Lilly Sentai's bought out from Manchuria. Not sure if this will change the pace of operations at all, but until I move forward on other fronts, it is as good a use as any for a single Betyy unit. I am on Dec 30th turn at the moment and I have successfully cleared interior lines allowing freedom of movement, reconfigured garissons and have accummulated suficient mass to allow me to move on multiple bases now. We'll see how it goes.
Simonsez

It's a trap!
obvert

Post by obvert »

I'll not spend any PP's for China directly. What I plan to do is send any reinforcements bought from Manchuko for elsewhere (ie, Pacific, Burma or the DEI) to spend some time in China to build experiance. It sounds good on paper, sending the heavy guns and mixed regiments/brigades to China to sharpen up before being shipped off to a Pacific atoll to fight to the last. Let us see if it works for real.

Not sure about this idea. Small units in combat in China will suffer heavy losses in the kinds of battles that can happen there. Unless you just plan to bombard set positions with them. Most of the brigades and regimental sized units that arrive come so late it's a challenge just to fill out defenses with what you have. I think this will leave you scrambling for troops to man the front lines. Allied intel will pick up on the lack of troops in place and that might mean they come earlier than usual.

What wil you spend PPs on?
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
mind_messing

Post by mind_messing »

ORIGINAL: Simonsez

I'm trying something a little new (for me anyway) in the Chinese theater to potentially speed up clearing of the interior and front lne Chinese held bases. Since the start of the war, I have been using one Betty Sentai based on Formosa to pummel the airfield at one Chinese base ever couple of turns. I am getting consistant 20+ hits from the unit on airfileds and once I get 50+ on a base, I let in-theater based assets take over and I move on to another base. I am hoping to keep fort building down to a minimum at the bases I want to take and that is hard to achieve with the locally based aircraft which now also incluse 3 Sally and one Lilly Sentai's bought out from Manchuria. Not sure if this will change the pace of operations at all, but until I move forward on other fronts, it is as good a use as any for a single Betyy unit. I am on Dec 30th turn at the moment and I have successfully cleared interior lines allowing freedom of movement, reconfigured garissons and have accummulated suficient mass to allow me to move on multiple bases now. We'll see how it goes.

Exactly the same as I plan. There's a Betty unit in the Home Islands that can reach China that I move to the western cities to bomb Wenchow. The Formosa air fleets can always bomb the Chinese if they're not flying against Clark or Manila.

ORIGINAL: obvert

Not sure about this idea. Small units in combat in China will suffer heavy losses in the kinds of battles that can happen there. Unless you just plan to bombard set positions with them. Most of the brigades and regimental sized units that arrive come so late it's a challenge just to fill out defenses with what you have. I think this will leave you scrambling for troops to man the front lines. Allied intel will pick up on the lack of troops in place and that might mean they come earlier than usual.

What wil you spend PPs on?

The whole idea came about as a result of having units sitting around waiting for transport to the frontlines. Instead of getting to cool it in Fusan or Port Arthur for a couple of weeks, might as well send them to China to fight the KMT for a while. I certainly intend to try to make it work with the Kwantung Army arty units that I'll be buying out for island garrisons - better they spend some time shooting at the Chinese than wasting away on some Pacific island.

My PP priorities are as follows:

Engineers - Infantry units - Air support units - Armour (for China) - Air squadrons - Arty (China first, then elsewhere)

This isn't including things like replacing commanders (I want rid of the idiot in charge of the Southern Army HQ) or changing bases (Parashumo and Adak, mainly), but it's how I hope things will work out. I'll probably not stick rigidly to that order, and there will be a degree of flexibility.

ORIGINAL: JocMeister

Glad to see Miller wasn´t deterred by his last opponent who turned out to out to be a 2 year old child who just entered the "No! I don whanna buuuwhaaaa" phase. [8|]

Good luck! Miller is probably one of the most experienced players around. He will give you a good fight! [:)]

Good to hear!

There's a turn waiting in my inbox, time to see if I've managed to get the KB sunk on turn two!
mind_messing

Post by mind_messing »

December 8th, 1941

The second strike on Pearl Harbour is a disapointment. Plenty of ships are damaged, but likely none sunk. The Americans will have plenty of battleships in a year or two. A failure, but not a huge one.

South China Sea

A messy naval battle develops over the night phase, with task forces reacting to and fro as the British destroyers and merchantmen flee Hong Kong. The torpedo boats from Hong Kong jump a empty Japanese convoy, sinking three, and the British destroyers sink two.

Come the morning phase, retribution finds them in the form of the IJN cover force. Half of the torpedo boats are destroyed, Thanet (which struck a mine during the night phase reactions) is left in a bad way while Scout and Thracian are wounded as well. They seem to be limping back to Hong Kong, and what warships that aren't covering the Phillipines invasion force are sent in pursuit.

Phillipines

An American S-boat sinks an xAKL over two attacks. Vigan and Laoag are taken and fighters moved up to Vigan. I've also moved in some Sonia's to ward off any submarine attacks. So near the start of the war, ASW ratings will be low, but it's better than nothing. Sub chasers and other assorted crap are en-route as well.

Malaya

Kota Bharu falls and a sweep of Singapore nets excellent results. There's no opposition anywhere else, and it seems the British are running full pelt for Singapore. Bombers will attempt to interupt the rout southwards as the armour makes the dash across to Georgetown.

Some HDML's are attacked just outside Singapore, and besides a single ship at Sinkawang, nothing else is sighted.

Burma

Recon shows Tonugoo as empty. The AVG has moved. Recon over Rangoon is hampered by clouds, but I suspect China. Some Zero's will be diverted there next turn in case the American mercenary devils attempt to cause some trouble.

China

Beyond the massive dance of troop-trains, not alot. Chinese troops seem to be withdrawing everywhere, but I may catch a stack outside Wuchang in move mode. In the south, troops reach Hong Kong and prepare to attack it as troops cross the border from Indochina in to China. A much smaller thrust is moving from Canton to Wuchow, but I expect little from this. An even smaller diversionary force is marching inland from Amoy to see if it can cause some trouble.

With a little luck, I'll have proper offensive moves being made by December the 11th, but right now things are very disorganized.

Central Pacific

The Wake invasion force is re-organizing and will be good to go by Dec 11th. The KB will cover the Wake landing and then move to Truk. The usual invasions will be going on over the next few days.

The scene of some confused battles as ships of both sides blundered around.
Encircled

Post by Encircled »

Always like reading JFB AAR's

Subscribed
mind_messing

Post by mind_messing »

ORIGINAL: Encircled

Always like reading JFB AAR's

Subscribed

Here's hoping you feel the same way when the tide turns and the defeatism kicks in!
Encircled

Post by Encircled »

Oh, I just like reading them a tiny bit more![:)]
mind_messing

Post by mind_messing »

December 9th, 1941

Things are progressing well on all fronts.

South China Sea

The IJN redeems itself, slaughtering the British patrol boats. One damaged destroyer is still trying to make Hong Kong, the other two are possibly fleeing south.

The US sub cloud from Manila starts crawling towards Formosa, so I fly in a resized Jake unit to start annoying them. They've not the skills or the bombload to hurt them, but it's better than nothing, and some subchasers are being redeployed from the Home Islands.

China

Credit to Miller, when he runs away, he runs away well. Chinese troops get away before a attack near Changsha, and they seem to be massing for a defence outside the city. I'll make some noise in this region to draw the Chinese attention to the city, hopefully exposing them in other areas.

I scrape together a couple of stacks for limited offensives, mainly in the South and around Shanghai.

Still no sign of the AVG

Malaya

RAF are absent when Oscars and Zero's sweep Singapore. 56 fighters at Victoria Point. Reinforcements or fleeing air groups? Oscars will sweep tomorrow and IJA troops will reach the base the day after.

Like the Chinese, the British are running. IJAAF will bomb them to slow them down, and I'll hope the armour cut some off.

Central Pacific

Ocean, Narru and Tarawa all fall. Troops are reloading to gobble up other free bases.

I'm risking a forray to nab Luganville early. A crusier force is at least five days sail away, so let us see if Miller will punish my risk-taking.

Submarine Warfare

A Dutch sub claims another victim off Patani. A ASW killer group is being sent to throw some ineffectual depth-charges at them.
mind_messing

Post by mind_messing »

10th December to 14th December

A few interesting turns.

Submarines

A RO boat east of Canton Island gets the Enterprise in it's sights. The torpedos miss.

Dutch and American subs are proving a problem, nothing severe, but at least a ship per turn. They knock out two tiny tankers off Pescadores. In return, I'm massively stepping up ASW assets. If it sails, had depth charges and can't be used on the frontline, it's being sent to hunt subs.

China

Running for the hills takes on a new meaning. Hardly any resistance anywhere. Chengchow and Loyang are abandoned. Same with Nanning in the south, but Wuchow is garrisoned.

With the massive Chinese withdrawal, it's hard to wreck Chinese corps, but I'm doing my best with the air force. Instead of a direct push on Sian, I'll flank around past Yenan. The terrain is just as bad, but there will be fewer Chinese than pushing from the Nanyang axis.

My limited offensives are meeting nothing, so after another week or two I'll need to have a look at something major to force Chinese troops to fight.

Hong Kong is due to fall any day. Two 1:1 attacks go off, along with massive IJA and IJN air bombardments.
Central Pacific

Invasions of Canton and Baker island are loaded and sent on their way. The KB diverted here in the hope of stumbling on the Enterpise, so they'll sit tight for a turn or two till the islands have a Japanese flag above them.

Wake is invaded, for the loss of 1 xAP and damage to a couple of ships. The units are in a good state after a 1:1 shock attack with plenty of supply. The ships will pull off and let a deliberate attack go in tomorrow.

Burma

15th Army starts moving towards the border. I wonder if the British will adopt the same attitude as the Chinese.

DEI

Singkawang falls in a early rush. Some fighters and a floatplane unit are flown in, with more to come. The usual slaughter of the merchant fleet of the region continues, but I suspect most of it has escaped by this point. Mini-KB operates on the fringes of the Eastern DEI, acting as a deterent for Force Z. Some Dutch crusiers are sighted in the Java Sea, but other than that not a glimpse.

Malaya

Same as China. The British ran hard for Singapore and still haven't stopped. IJA armour is chasing them, and the Imperial Guards still haven't got off their trains to fight yet for the speed of the Japanese advance. We're making excellent progress, so no reason to stop. With Singawank ours, I can start sweeping Singapore from normal range, and start culling the AVG.

Phillipines

The Americans run for Clark (anyone see a trend developing here?), and leave Manila and most other bases wide open. I'll secure Manila and elsewhere before settling down to siege Clark and Bataan.

I mix my usual strategy up here. Rather than rush to bottle up Clark and Manila, I'll focus on securing Minadano and the outlying islands before turning inwards.

Economy and Industry

Convoys are sorted, and production is looking good. This remains my weakspot, and I hold of on the temptation to increase Oscar production by another thirty or so planes just to wait and see what happens. Naval points still aren't sorted, but that's of a lesser concern.

Strategic Thoughts

Obviously a Sir Robin all over the board. I'm going to push hard to keep on the tails of the running Allied units. The hard part is not over-extending while doing it.

New Caledonia, certainly. The South Pacific hasn't even seen a whiff of an Allied unit yet (though two AMC raiders did run in to something at Fiji, likely the American artillery units), and if there's real estate going on the cheap, I'll invest. I can't defend it, but it will be a handy buffer.

China is a concern. Normally by the end of December I've managed to kill off a good number of healthy Chinese corps. The current total is just one. While that means that a great deal of Chinese troops can fight another day (and in better terrain), supply production for the Chinese is slashed due to all the bases they gave up without a fight.

By mid-January, I'm hopping to be making a big push for Changsha to break the Chinese center. This will be accompanied by a massive air offensive to drive the Chinese underground and eat up as much supply as possible. The AVG being elsewhere is a big, big boost to this.

Any comments from the peanut gallery?
Simonsez

Post by Simonsez »

Some ideas....not saying they are good ideas...[:'(]

If you are not going to have to fight much for China, come up with a plan to use those troops elsewhere.

For China:
1) Secure your interior lines in China to allow freedom of movement between Chinese fronts. Set up a couple of QRF's
that can move to any hot spots in case he gets frisky.

2) Secure the land transportation routes to SE Asia to perhaps spur oil and fuel to move overland to Hong Kong, etc. to
shorten the tanker routes.

3) Take ALL the northern Chinese Oil centers.

India???
How about a late (last two weeks of the amphib bonus), massive invasion of India? All those "saved" Chinese units will be a pain if they can be supplied. Take the next month and a half to set the stage for a set piece battle for India and prosecute it with everything you can muster - bring the armor and heavy ART for seige warfare (buy out now and show them in SE China first to secure the Asian land bridge and then withdraw them at the last moment to use in India. What's the worst that could happen?

Maskirovka Campaign - reinforce his faith in the Sir Robin strategy. Prep units for a maskirovka campaign involving Chinese interior locations (reinforce the notion that you are coming at some point - start prep now for closest Chinese bases and work towards the Chinese Interior over time). Also prep units (falsely for now) for Northern and Western Australia as well as Fiji to give the impression of attempting to isolate Autralia, but husband everything you can muster for an all out assault on India - prep no units for India. Check other AR's for potential strategies and what you need to look out for and plan for if you choose to pull it off - re: Ceylon is a must capture. Prepping units for Australia/Fiji also gives you a legitimate alternative to India should it prove a bridge too far and the 100% prepped untis can still be a punch of sorts after the amphib bonus is gone.

Until then, clean up China as you can, continue to secure DEI, especially SLOC towards India (Pt Blair, Adnans, Cocos, Christmas Island), expand prudently in South Pacific to support an Australlia isolation plan so it looks like you are going that way. Recon and maybe even test the maskirovka areas frequently - stay if you can on the cheap.
Simonsez

It's a trap!
mind_messing

Post by mind_messing »

Simonsez, some good thoughts.

I think my second phase operations will be a hybrid of a invasion of Ceylon and the capture of Western Australia. Things are early, so we'll need to review options at a later date.

China - While withdrawing keeps the Chinese troops intact, I've got the ground cheaply. I always feel that being left to their own devices only makes the Chinese stronger in the long run. To that end, I'll take the interior lines, then the Chinese oil. Once that's done, it will be a massive effort to break China once and for all. Idealy, I want all of China, and I'm willing to pay for it.

India - Not sure about an outright invasion. This is scenario 1, and going all out leaves me exposed in other areas. Ceylon sounds like an interesting prospect, and more importantly, one that allows troops to be withdrawn and redeployed.

Maskirovka - My intention is to nibble. A base here, a island there. I'll risk nothing significant, but the further out I expand my perimiter, the longer it will take the Allies to push through it.
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

If you drive through Liuchow all the way to Kweiyang, he may abandon Changsha rather than risk those troops being cut off. If he does so, you might be able to catch him before he's set up somewhere else farther back.

If you want to go for Changsha directly, I would considering coming around from behind: Hengyang and the bases behind it. He's unlikely to have left them undefended, but their terrain is clear rather than urban. That much easier to capture.

Return to “After Action Reports”