HQ reorganization path

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Courtenay

HQ reorganization path

Post by Courtenay »

The RAC contain a "clarification" that I do not understand:
Clarification: The reorganization path is traced from the HQ to the unit – which is the reverse of tracing a unit’s supply. This means that a disorganized unit which is not stacked with a land unit but is in the ZOC of an enemy unit, cannot be reorganized, as the enemy ZOC prevents the path from entering the disorganized unit’s hex. However, an HQ simply ignores enemy ZOCs when reorganizing units in a hex adjacent to the HQ.
However, the supply limits rule's first bullet says:
LIMITS ON SUPPLY PATHS
You cannot trace a supply path:
Into an enemy ZOC (unless the hex contains a friendly land unit)
Thus the disrupted unit should not have a problem tracing the reorganization path into its hex because there is a unit there -- itself. The supply rule doesn't say anything about a unit not counting for itself; if a unit is in the hex, you may trace a supply path there. Could someone explain this "clarification" to me? It seems to me that it "clarified" something that was perfectly clear, in an incorrect fashion.

Taking this clarification literally, and reversing it to the case of an ordinary supply path, not a reorganization path, would mean that you could not trace supply to an HQ that was alone in a hex in an enemy ZOC. I submit that this is nonsense, as is this "clarification".
I thought I knew how to play this game....
brian brian

RE: HQ reorganization path

Post by brian brian »

ORIGINAL: Courtenay

The RAC contain a "clarification" that I do not understand:

a disorganized unit which is not stacked with a land unit but is in the ZOC of an enemy unit

However, an HQ simply ignores enemy ZOCs when reorganizing units in a hex adjacent to the HQ.

this means that an air or naval unit in an enemy ZoC but not stacked with a friendly land unit can not be re-organized by an HQ. unless it is adjacent to the HQ.

matches up with the re-org rule, and with the supply rule as you can not trace a supply path through an enemy ZoC if you only have an air or naval unit in the hex.

the 'clarification' does not note that a disorganized land unit by itself in a hex is not affected.

I'm sure playing on a table top I have broken this one at times, though I have always counted _from_ the HQ in motorised movement points, not supply path 1/hex rates. just never thought about re-organizing a plane or ship in an enemy ZoC. normally that would not be seen very often on the map.
Courtenay

RE: HQ reorganization path

Post by Courtenay »

this means that an air or naval unit in an enemy ZoC but not stacked with a friendly land unit can not be re-organized by an HQ. unless it is adjacent to the HQ.

matches up with the re-org rule, and with the supply rule as you can not trace a supply path through an enemy ZoC if you only have an air or naval unit in the hex.

the 'clarification' does not note that a disorganized land unit by itself in a hex is not affected.
Thank you. I had no idea what the clarification was talking about; the idea of a disorganized air unit alone in a hex adjacent to an enemy did not occur to me. I try to avoid doing that in a game. I probably have broken this rule in over-the-board play, too.
I thought I knew how to play this game....

Return to “World in Flames”