Distant Worlds Digital express edition concerns

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

madcyborg

Distant Worlds Digital express edition concerns

Post by madcyborg »

* I read the terms of your store. 30 day download link. I'm coming from steam. Hardcore and decent at 4x, so I wanted to give this a try, but I'm concerned about losing a copy of a significantly priced product.
* It would be nice if there were one version all bundled together. Putting these pieces together sounds like a pain.

In short, I'm in favor of fair compensation for what looks like an opus, but I also think that the buyer needs a few protections and modern conveniences, like owning the product forever digitally, and easy install/upgrades. Following all of the upgrades is a significant investment, and I hope that there is some thought to a better upgrade path.

I think I'm going to wait on this at this time, but I will keep an eye out for these issues to be resolved. Not everything has to be on steam, I agree with that, but as a consumer, we need some things to safely patronize your store and your products. [:)]
NextGenGamer

RE: Distant Worlds Digital express edition concerns

Post by NextGenGamer »

Yes you are right. I also agree with you. Hope the admin will think about it. [8D]
Game Cheats, Tricks and more @ http://www.pakcircles.com. The best gaming resource.
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

Once you have the game you can ask for a new link. Unless this is different from all the other titles here.
Favoritism is alive and well here.
n01487477

Post by n01487477 »

ORIGINAL: madcyborg

* I read the terms of your store. 30 day download link. I'm coming from steam. Hardcore and decent at 4x, so I wanted to give this a try, but I'm concerned about losing a copy of a significantly priced product.
If you register your purchase (which is done automatically when you sign in) you can download it at any time in the Members -> my orders screen.
* It would be nice if there were one version all bundled together. Putting these pieces together sounds like a pain.
Fair call, but I think some people like to play different versions.
In short, I'm in favor of fair compensation for what looks like an opus, but I also think that the buyer needs a few protections and modern conveniences, like owning the product forever digitally, and easy install/upgrades. Following all of the upgrades is a significant investment, and I hope that there is some thought to a better upgrade path.

I think I'm going to wait on this at this time, but I will keep an eye out for these issues to be resolved. Not everything has to be on steam, I agree with that, but as a consumer, we need some things to safely patronize your store and your products. [:)]
I think your overall concern about safety is addressed with the anytime download link and good customer support if there is a problem with this link. As for the other ... that is for Ian and the dev's to consider. I agree with you on it as an option, but not the only available download.

Cheers
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

If you register your purchase (which is done automatically when you sign in) you can download it at any time in the Members -> my orders screen.

I used to think this also, but, recently I bought 3 games from Plimus and although the games show up as registered they don't show up in the MY ORDERS catagory. When I goto Plimus with my credit card info they also do not show up as ordered. I have to use a backdoor method whereby I just input my email address only and then they finally show up in Plimus.. I don't like this automatically registered stuff as I don't want to register every game as some of them I want to resell or even gift to someone else besides me. Once you register a game you are locked into it and I don't like that. It's one of the reasons I buy Matrixgames/Slitherine games. Now they are becoming Intrusive with this auto register stuff.

Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

So do what I do with my non Steam games and save the exe to your hard drive. That way you'll always have a digital copy available. No need to ever worry about a third party not letting you access any of your games. I always edit the name of the file and incorporate the serial number into it so there is no confusion.

mad, I'd reconsider if I were you. As someone who has several Steam titles and quite a few Matrix games, convenience aside, I feel more of the owner of my games when purchasing from the Matrix.
Plus, you're missing out on a great game. I've never played a 4x game before DW and now I wonder what I've been missing out on all along.

mo reb
**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

Even if you can or do save the exe (because I do it too) you still have DRM to contend with on Steam. When you reinstal that game or for whatever reason lost it and had to reinstal you still have to go through that activation process on steam to get the game running or working again. It's not the input of the code like a CD key that messes things up it's that "activation" crap you have to go through on games on steam. That's one of the reasons I like purchasing games from here or did rather is there is really no activation scheme once you have the setup.exe saved. I can do this too on Gamersgate games while they are installing, but I still have to go thru that online activation crap when I reinstall a game. Unless you know a better way and can specify then I don't know any other way around online activation with Steam or Gamersgate. I do understand saving the setup.exe files, but, once again that online activation I can't get around. Battlefront does it too even though you can save the setup file locally you still have to go online to activate their games now.

Edit Note: Saving the steam setup.exe will work if the game is still in your steam registry, but, if you have a full format of your harddrive you will lose all that information that is saved in your registry thus you will have to go thru the process of "activation" again and that's where steam will get you. The game won't work just reinstalling it. Because for one thing your steam client will be gone with a reformat of a harddrive or say you get a new harddrive it won't be there either or those games in your steam library or even computer registry. Games here at Matrixgames 'will' work though with just a reinstall as long as you saved your cd key like you said you put in the title.

2nd Edit Note: I also just saw that you typed NON-steam games for saving the setup.exe lol my mistake but the process above is still true so I'll leave it.

3rd Edit Note: I also burn the setup.exe to a dvd because so many things can happen like harddrive failure that I like having several places to get my reinstall setup.exe from. I used to have Matrixgames Members Location as a place to save my games, but I don't trust that anymore after what just happened on my last order. It's all messed up.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

That's just the initial download link. If you are logged into our site (not forum) when purchasing, you are automatically registered and can request a new link automatically through our Members Club. If you are not logged in, you can request a new link through our Help Desk. In either case, you are entitled to unlimited re-downloads once you purchase the product. Also, our products are not tied to the store and have a simple serial number check. Save the file, write down the serial number and you don't need to go online or re-download again.

If you purchase one in the store, it will offer you a bundle page where you can easily add all of the others into your cart.

In fact, that's exactly what we are about. You own the product, period. The installation is easy and DRM-free and we support our products well. All of our products can be played entirely offline and the installers don't do any "phone home" checks that require a connection.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
gradenko2k

Post by gradenko2k »

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore

Even if you can or do save the exe (because I do it too) you still have DRM to contend with on Steam. When you reinstal that game or for whatever reason lost it and had to reinstal you still have to go through that activation process on steam to get the game running or working again.
Steam does not do this, except in cases where the game has to pass through the publisher's own additional DRM layer (as in Ubisoft, EA, Games for Windows, etc.)

In the vast majority of cases, if you want to reinstall a game, you select it from your library, click Install, the game will download, and you can play once the download completes.
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

ORIGINAL: gradenko_2000
ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore

Even if you can or do save the exe (because I do it too) you still have DRM to contend with on Steam. When you reinstal that game or for whatever reason lost it and had to reinstal you still have to go through that activation process on steam to get the game running or working again.
Steam does not do this, except in cases where the game has to pass through the publisher's own additional DRM layer (as in Ubisoft, EA, Games for Windows, etc.)

In the vast majority of cases, if you want to reinstall a game, you select it from your library, click Install, the game will download, and you can play once the download completes.

Read ALL of my post as I clearly said if you do a reformat you no longer have a steam client to draw from. You have to reinstall steam to get your game to work again that is a steam delivered game it will not intall on its own without steam installed so you HAVE to have steam to reinstall that game from a reformat of your harddrives. Try it you'll see it won't work without steam.
madcyborg

Post by madcyborg »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

That's just the initial download link. If you are logged into our site (not forum) when purchasing, you are automatically registered and can request a new link automatically through our Members Club. If you are not logged in, you can request a new link through our Help Desk. In either case, you are entitled to unlimited re-downloads once you purchase the product. Also, our products are not tied to the store and have a simple serial number check. Save the file, write down the serial number and you don't need to go online or re-download again.

If you purchase one in the store, it will offer you a bundle page where you can easily add all of the others into your cart.

In fact, that's exactly what we are about. You own the product, period. The installation is easy and DRM-free and we support our products well. All of our products can be played entirely offline and the installers don't do any "phone home" checks that require a connection.

Regards,

- Erik

Thanks for your reply. I understand better what you're doing now.
Hertston

Post by Hertston »

Pfft... just burn the downloaded file and .txt file with the serial to a DVD. Burn another as a backup. That way you DO own it forever digitally, not only for as long as a particular digital distribution service happens to exist. Games for Windows, anyone?

Return to “General Discussion”