Couple of questions re: Operations

Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog is the first new release (not a re-make of a previous games) in years in the critically acclaimed Close Combat series. It details the desperate German counter-attack at Mortain, the last chance of the Wehrmacht to stave off defeat in Normandy. Can you match the tenacity of the American defenders of Hill 314? Or can you succeed where the Panzers failed, driving through to the sea and changing history? Improved 32-bit graphics and the ability to control more squads than ever bring the Close Combat engine to a new level.
genehaynes

Couple of questions re: Operations

Post by genehaynes »

1. Why am I able to change the force composition of my (computer) opponent? I'm playing the Central Slugfest Operation as the Allies, yet I can change the force makeup of the Germans for the next tactical battle. Is this as designed?

2. Even though I assign air support to my Battle Group, it never shows up (i.e. the Air Support button never highlights) during the tactical battle. Weather conditions were daytime, clear skies. One time I assigned Arty support and it DID show up. Is there some randomness built in as to whether or not you get the requested support?

SteveMcClaire

RE: Couple of questions re: Operations

Post by SteveMcClaire »

The ability to change the AI opponents' forces was something that was in older versions of Close Combat, and while it was something I had initially removed for Panthers, the beta testers asked for it back. If you don't want to do this (and avoid the spoilers) you can leave that button alone.

Air support takes a while to arrive -- 5 to 12 minutes for the Allies, 8-12 minutes for Axis. If you end the battle before that time you won't see it. Could this be what happened?

Steve
genehaynes

RE: Couple of questions re: Operations

Post by genehaynes »

Steve,

Thanks for the response.

1. I won't adjust my opponemts force in the future. The option to do so certainly doesn't hurt anything.

2. Air support: you could be right. Several of the tactical battles didn't last too long. The next time I assign air support I'll pay attention to the length of the battle.

Return to “Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog”