Road to Moscow

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, elmo3

Der Kuenstler

Road to Moscow

Post by Der Kuenstler »

Has anyone beaten this scenario as the Germans on normal settings? The first time I failed. (Minor loss) The second time I bypassed most secondary objectives and made one huge spearhead out of all my panzer corps. I was able to Make it to Moscow on turn 12 or so but there were so many powerful Russian units blocking me it would have taken another 10 turns to get across the rivers and surround Moscow - the scenario is 17 turns long. Just seeing if this scenario is too hard to win - I'll move on if it is, but if others have won it I'll keep trying.
"The Führer believes that this campaign will be over by autumn...I hope the Führer is right." Field-Marshal Walther von Reichenau, 1941

My Featured Mods:
DK's Distressed UI
DK's Subtle Sounds
janh

RE: Road to Moscow

Post by janh »

Before the latest patch, I played it once and had a minor victory at first try. My last try, this time with the latest changes and "reduced" blizzard effects ended a week ago, with a draw, or rather possibly a draw (skipped the final blizzard turns).

I managed to encircle MW in a two pronged operation with both spearheads meeting some 80 miles in the rear, thanks to AI failing to properly form a good line near Torzhok and suddenly loosing Tula to Guderian who had just been HQed up and resting. It had suffered a large pocket just previously, comparable to Brjansk-Vjasma. The going was much tougher than before that patch, and the pocket around Moscow closed with last power just the turn before blizzard started. Unfortunately my divisions were unable to dislodge some 20 divisions in the MW pocket, and my spearheads got pushed back the first blizzard turn and reopened the pocket. All in all this time playing was a lot more fun. It was much more of a challenge and felt now like a true achievement.
Der Kuenstler

Post by Der Kuenstler »

Are you talking about the scenario or grand campaign? there was no blizzard in the scenario I played.
"The Führer believes that this campaign will be over by autumn...I hope the Führer is right." Field-Marshal Walther von Reichenau, 1941

My Featured Mods:
DK's Distressed UI
DK's Subtle Sounds
Gizuria

Post by Gizuria »

Probably, one of you is playing the Road to Moscow scenario from the base game and the other is playing the Moscow scenario from Lost Battles? I've heard the latter is the better of the two.
Der Kuenstler

Post by Der Kuenstler »

Ah OK I'm playing Road to Moscow from the base game - so back to the question - who has beaten it as Axis on normal and if so do you have any tips??

My Featured Mods:
DK's Distressed UI
DK's Subtle Sounds
janh

Post by janh »

ORIGINAL: Der Kuenstler
Are you talking about the scenario or grand campaign? there was no blizzard in the scenario I played.

No and yes, I mixed it up with the Typhoon scenario. You are right, Road to XX are different ones. Interesting due to the different VP counting from the GC, though.
carlkay58

Post by carlkay58 »

It was several versions ago for many of us. I recall having beat it early on in the game release (so probably 1.2x at latest) and have not really gone back to it. The newest game version could very well make it harder for the Axis to win against the Soviet AI. The AI has improved a lot and the Soviets are more robust than earlier versions.
swkuh

Post by swkuh »

@carlkay... thought so, AI better, that is. Can you say a bit how its doing that. I've noticed some battles not going as I predicted from initial CVs. Maybe more of that. But?
rmonical

Post by rmonical »

It is winnable on normal settings.
rmonical

Post by rmonical »

It turns out there is a scoring bug.
Moscow fell on T15 so the points should have been 300, 75 and 75. Not 560, 140 and 140.

Attachments
RtMscoring.jpg
RtMscoring.jpg (24.29 KiB) Viewed 135 times
Der Kuenstler

Post by Der Kuenstler »

Great job getting Moscow - I couldn't do it.

My Featured Mods:
DK's Distressed UI
DK's Subtle Sounds
rmonical

Post by rmonical »

The AI on normal is not good at breaking pockets.
Billy Bishop

Post by Billy Bishop »

Had not yet played Road to Moscow scenario but thought I would try it when you wondered if it is winnable. I will agree with rmonical on this as my quick game, without taking to much time to plan and allocate SU's, gave me a minor victory. As rmonical mentions the AI does poorly at counterattacking, unlike the human opponents I have played. Don't worry too much about overextending your panzers to quickly get to objectives.

Attachments
RoadtoMoscow.gif
RoadtoMoscow.gif (247.32 KiB) Viewed 135 times
BB

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”