Production Convoy Settings Not Impressive

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Omnius

Production Convoy Settings Not Impressive

Post by Omnius »

My one big beef with Marinacci's first computer version of World in Flames was that the convoying of resources and build points was rather difficult. I read many months ago how Steve was fixing up this problem for MWiF and I was really glad to read that good news.

However I'm not real impressed with the improvements. I just put in a bug report about Japan not sending the build point to the USA like it should automatically to start the Global War scenario, despite me having the one unused convoy point in the 5 sea areas by Japan and the USA. I'm having trouble trying to force Japan to send a production build point to the USA on the second turn. I now have to try saving a Japanese build point to see if after it's saved on the map I can send it to the USA. I sure hope this problem gets fixed soon so we can start Global War and not have to sweat out getting the Japanese build point to the USA. The good thing is that the program isn't enforcing a penalty. It looks like all the other pre-war trade agreements are working properly.

My other complaint is that the program is using the convoy points from other countries, thus screwing them out of getting to use them. I set up a convoy chain from Hanoi to the south of France and somehow the British are now using several of the convoy points instead of their own. It becomes very difficult to track down which convoy is abusing the French convoy points. A real shame that we don't get asked beforehand if some other country is willing to allow a different country to use their convoy points. It sure would have been nice if as France I could have said no to Britain using convoy points along that line so I could have known how many convoy points I'm really under or over. I had set up the British convoy lines before France if I'm not mistaking and I sure had them dialed in nicely while doing production planning during set up to check how many convoy points over I might be in what sea areas.

Which brings me to another beef I had with Marinacci's convoy programming and that is that it seems like every time I went into the CW Production Screen to set up my convoy lines the damned program would always rethink it the next time I went in. I'd get convoy lines set up the way I wanted then the next time I went in I had to redo it all over again because the stupid program rethought it all out. What's needed is a dumber program that doesn't think every time we go into the production planning screen. It's still not all that stable from preliminary production planning at the end of the turn to the actual production post oil usage. I wish we could tell the program to not think for us, to let us do all the convoy route planning and that way we could set convoy lines the way we want once and not have to sweat out the astupid program changing them every damned time we go into production planning.

Omnius
lomyrin

RE: Production Convoy Settings Not Impressive

Post by lomyrin »

+1

Although I have not had any problems with the Japanese build point reaching the US, it has been automatic
Ingtar

Post by Ingtar »

I thought you had to put five in only one zone to both receive the resources and send the build point. I would think that if the resources are not flowing to Japan, the build point would not flow back. I could be misunderstanding the post, however.
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

I used the default setup files for the US and Japan in GW and the resources and BPs are flowing fine between the two countries.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Omnius

My one big beef with Marinacci's first computer version of World in Flames was that the convoying of resources and build points was rather difficult. I read many months ago how Steve was fixing up this problem for MWiF and I was really glad to read that good news.

However I'm not real impressed with the improvements. I just put in a bug report about Japan not sending the build point to the USA like it should automatically to start the Global War scenario, despite me having the one unused convoy point in the 5 sea areas by Japan and the USA. I'm having trouble trying to force Japan to send a production build point to the USA on the second turn. I now have to try saving a Japanese build point to see if after it's saved on the map I can send it to the USA. I sure hope this problem gets fixed soon so we can start Global War and not have to sweat out getting the Japanese build point to the USA. The good thing is that the program isn't enforcing a penalty. It looks like all the other pre-war trade agreements are working properly.

My other complaint is that the program is using the convoy points from other countries, thus screwing them out of getting to use them. I set up a convoy chain from Hanoi to the south of France and somehow the British are now using several of the convoy points instead of their own. It becomes very difficult to track down which convoy is abusing the French convoy points. A real shame that we don't get asked beforehand if some other country is willing to allow a different country to use their convoy points. It sure would have been nice if as France I could have said no to Britain using convoy points along that line so I could have known how many convoy points I'm really under or over. I had set up the British convoy lines before France if I'm not mistaking and I sure had them dialed in nicely while doing production planning during set up to check how many convoy points over I might be in what sea areas.

Which brings me to another beef I had with Marinacci's convoy programming and that is that it seems like every time I went into the CW Production Screen to set up my convoy lines the damned program would always rethink it the next time I went in. I'd get convoy lines set up the way I wanted then the next time I went in I had to redo it all over again because the stupid program rethought it all out. What's needed is a dumber program that doesn't think every time we go into the production planning screen. It's still not all that stable from preliminary production planning at the end of the turn to the actual production post oil usage. I wish we could tell the program to not think for us, to let us do all the convoy route planning and that way we could set convoy lines the way we want once and not have to sweat out the astupid program changing them every damned time we go into production planning.

Omnius
warspite1

+1
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
gw15

Post by gw15 »

Production works great for me. I think the program does a good job. No problems with Japan production at all.
To set up the convoys you have to work outward from your country and "recalculate" after everyplacement. It works.
Zorachus99

Post by Zorachus99 »

ORIGINAL: bommerrang

Production works great for me. I think the program does a good job. No problems with Japan production at all.
To set up the convoys you have to work outward from your country and "recalculate" after everyplacement. It works.

This is one of the better workarounds. Gave the tip to a friend, and he is much happier.
Most men can survive adversity, the true test of a man's character is power. -Abraham Lincoln
Omnius

Not an Option

Post by Omnius »

Numdydar,
Sorry but I'm not going to play the lame default set up that wipes out most of the optional rules. I'm sure that the dumbed down default set up works fine with the Japanese build point going to the USA. However I want to play with almost all of the optional rules so I have to set up all sides manually.

Omnius
Omnius

Not Helping to Solve the Problem

Post by Omnius »

bommerrang,
I didn't complain that I couldn't get the Japanese resources to the factories for production, only that Japan wasn't sending the build point to the USA automatically. I have the unused Japanese convoy point in the Japanese Coast with the 4 unused USA convoys, one each in the four USA sea areas that are specified in the set up.

It's a shame that people don't seem to read and understand my problem and that no one yet has given me a good answer as to how to make the Japanese build point go to the USA. It should happen automatically and it isn't.

Omnius
markb50k

RE: Not an Option

Post by markb50k »

Numdydar,
Sorry but I'm not going to play the lame default set up that wipes out most of the optional rules. I'm sure that the dumbed down default set up works fine with the Japanese build point going to the USA. However I want to play with almost all of the optional rules so I have to set up all sides manually.

Omnius

I think you misunderstood. During Setup phase, after you've already set the optional rules, etc. you can use the "Restore Setup" button and it will load the CPs using a default setup. It complains about what optional rules the setup used, but dont worry, it wont force you to change any of your rules, it just will not deploy things you didnt add to the game, or vice versa. Its pretty straightforward and you can edit off of the default placement to your hearts content.
Omnius

A Bad Answer

Post by Omnius »

Warspite1,
You sure wasted a lot of space copying my entire post just to give me a stupid cryptic +1 answer that does nothing to help me. If you don't have a good helpful answer then I suggest you not answer at all. All I'd like is a straight, intelligent answer as to how to make Japan send the build point to the USA in the Global War scenario from a manual set up.

Omnius
Ingtar

RE: Not Helping to Solve the Problem

Post by Ingtar »

The set up rules complain if you do not set up 5 convoys in each of the areas you mentions (3? sea zones for the USA and 1 for Japan). With 5 in each zone, I have never seen this problem. Is your 1 convoy point really 5?
Omnius

Thanks for a Good Answer

Post by Omnius »

markb50k,
Thank you for giving me a good, simple helpful answer. [:)] I hope I can remember that answer for my next new Global War game. If I'm not mistaken there aren't default set ups for every scenario, or are these special default convoy set ups for every scenarios?

Omnius
markb50k

RE: Not Helping to Solve the Problem

Post by markb50k »

bommerrang,
I didn't complain that I couldn't get the Japanese resources to the factories for production, only that Japan wasn't sending the build point to the USA automatically. I have the unused Japanese convoy point in the Japanese Coast with the 4 unused USA convoys, one each in the four USA sea areas that are specified in the set up.

It's a shame that people don't seem to read and understand my problem and that no one yet has given me a good answer as to how to make the Japanese build point go to the USA. It should happen automatically and it isn't.

Omnius

I am having a similar issue. Question for you: are you seeing this issue during the Production phase, or are you still in the middle of the turn? I am curious because perhaps it cant move build points until you actually have build points. The user manual somewhat intimates that this "auto-sending" of BPs happens during the Production planning phase. Something worth confirming..
Omnius

Not Helping

Post by Omnius »

Ingtar,
Thanks for assuming I'm a complete idiot, a shame you didn't read my posts to see that I had no problem shipping the USA resources to Japan. The one unused convoy point I mentioned was because I do have 5 convoy points in the 5 sea areas and the resources from the USA to Japan are using the other four. Try improving your reading comprehension so you don't make insulting, lame answers that provide no help whatsoever.

Omnius
markb50k

RE: Thanks for a Good Answer

Post by markb50k »

markb50k,
Thank you for giving me a good, simple helpful answer. [:)] I hope I can remember that answer for my next new Global War game. If I'm not mistaken there aren't default set ups for every scenario, or are these special default convoy set ups for every scenarios?

Omnius

The default setups are PER scenario PER major power, so I am not sure if there are ones for the others like Barbarrosa, but I am for Global War. I'm also assuming that this particular CP setup is only in the GW default setup file, and other appropriate CP setups are in the other scenario setup files.
Numdydar

RE: Not an Option

Post by Numdydar »

Numdydar,

Omnius

What on earth are you talking about?

When you set up a new game, you can set any optional rules you want. Loading the default setup for each country does nothing to change the optional rules settings you selected at the start. The setup files are country specific and ONLY put units on the map that are NOT randomly picked out of the force pool AND are optional, like convoys.

I am using 90% of the optional rules and the default setups worked fine for me. The optional units, like divisions, etc. are still available. You just need to set them up manually. That is all the error message is telling you, the default file will NOT automaticly place the optional units on the map. Not that the units are eliminated or you cannot use them. I still have CVPs and pilots, etc. in the game even loading the default setups.

I find it hard to believe you did not even try using the default files before coming here and complaining. If you hate and despise the game so much, why don't you ask Erik for a refund.
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

See Saved Setups, Players Manual volume 2 pages 207 & 208.
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
Omnius

A Common Problem

Post by Omnius »

markb50,
I'm having the problem in any phase where I check the production planning for Japan. I couldn't get Japan to send the build point to America either in the preliminary production planning phase just before oil usage or the final production planning phase post oil usage.

I have the requisite unused convoy point in all 5 sea areas. Now one interesting thing I noticed after my second turn's final production for Japan was that I saved one Japanese build point in the Build Phase and when I looked at the production planning screen after that I saw a build point as being reported being sent in trade.

It makes me wonder if I have to save a Japanese build point each turn in order to be able to send it to the USA, perhaps on the following turn? I did try saving a Japanese build point in the preliminary production planning phase during the end of turn phases but I couldn't get any Japanese factory to trade one to the USA. I'm not getting any set up error message and if I hadn't set up the correct convoy points I assume the program would balk at letting me move forward on the USA or Japanese set up.

Omnius
Omnius

Post by Omnius »

Shannon,
Will do! Thanks for giving me some good, specific help! [:)]

Omnius

Return to “World in Flames”