Cannot copy the 001 file

Post bug reports and ask for help with other issues here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

dennishe

Cannot copy the 001 file

Post by dennishe »

I'm playing WITPAE on Windows 8 and most of the time this goes very well. Once in a while I do not get administrator rights to the 001 file and I'm not allowed to copy the file. If I restart my computer the 001 file is missing completely. Does anybody else have the same problem? Or better, a solution?
This is very annoying, especially for my opponents...
dennishe

RE: Cannot copy the 001 file

Post by dennishe »

Apparently having administrator rights in Windows 8 does not imply that you have administrator rights. There is a higher level of administrator which you can access as described here: http://www.softwareok.com/?seite=faq-Windows-8&faq=22

Why microsoft, why?
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

Its Microsoft! They don´t need to explain themselves! [:D]
koniu

Post by koniu »

Sorry i cat help You. I am running 8.1 x64 without any problems.
Only thing i do after windows installation was disabling UAC(I hate UAC since Vista)

"Only the Dead Have Seen the End of War"
RogerJNeilson

Post by RogerJNeilson »

I have a particular loathing for this issue, happened a while back to me and as I recall (memory not as good as it was) the file permissions are inherited from the file structure where it was created, therefore on your opponent's machine.

So have they done anything different?

Is it a zip file they send you? Sometimes a zip file will not bring the permissions across so that may be one way out of it.

UAC is a pain in the butt.... I always turn it off.

Roger
An unplanned dynasty: Roger Neilson, Roger Neilson 11, Roger Neilson 3 previous posts 898+1515 + 1126 = 3539.....Finally completed my game which started the day WITP:AE was released
khyberbill

Post by khyberbill »

I am his opponent and I have no idea what is going on. I have been playing PBEMs with Windows 8 since Feb and this is the first time there was a problem. I have not touched the admin functions since i bought the laptop and I do not even know what a UAC is (Unidentified Actuarial Constrict?)
"Its a dog eat dog world Sammy and I am wearing Milkbone underwear" -Norm.
dennishe

Post by dennishe »

The annoying thing is that it happened only occasionally, so it is difficult to say whether the problem is solved. The 001 file is created on my computer (I'm the Japanese player) and thus the problem must be at my computer(?). I'm now playing on the higher administrator level. Hopefully it is solved now.

Return to “Tech Support”