Physical Copies

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

TorpX

Physical Copies

Post by TorpX »

I recently purchased COMMAND OPS - BATTLES FROM THE BULGE. This on disc, but without
any manual, even though this was advertised. Will we get the manuals later, or are we just
out of luck?

Will games purchased now, during the sale, be delivered with the manuals?

Frankly, $10 for a disc, without a manual hardly seems worth it for a backup, as one would
still have to download the updates/patches.

Any clarification would be helpful.
wodin

RE: Physical Copies

Post by wodin »

Seems this maybe an issue as someone bought Decisive Campaigns Case blue with the same problem.
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

Check the type of game it is, some have no paper manuals and are so designated.
Favoritism is alive and well here.
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

Great I can not access any of the set eras to look at games in the store.
Favoritism is alive and well here.
PipFromSlitherine

Post by PipFromSlitherine »

Command Ops does indeed seem to be a Digital Express product, which is defined as:

Digital Express Edition: This edition comes with a full color printed box, full color printed CD (with your order number and serial number printed on it) and a PDF E-Book indexed manual.

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/377 ... .the.Bulge.

So it sounds like things are working as they should.

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here
Qwixt

Post by Qwixt »

never mind
Agathosdaimon

Post by Agathosdaimon »

i got my order which was quick and found that all the games i got except Chariots of War were just the DX express versions - even Distant Worlds series and Grigsby Eagle Day to Bombing of the Reich - i was surprised that these massive games would be manual less. These are all correctly advertised as being just discs, but still i would have thought these products would have manuals at least.
Alchenar

Post by Alchenar »

I don't know why in 2013 (soon to be 14) you'd pay extra for a CD, it's just a luddite tax.
IainMcNeil

Post by IainMcNeil »

It should all be clearly marked so check and if you find one where you think you should have received a manual and didn't let support know. The factory rarely makes mistakes but they do happen and they can review what was packed when we query it to make sure it was all included.

You can tell by the colour of the spine as to what type of game it is. Grey means Express with no manual. Red means a Black & White Manual. Gold means a full colour manual.
Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games
DerTroof

Post by DerTroof »

I made the same error - bought the disc version assuming it had a hard copy manual then confirmed it didn't on the product page. Disappointed, but still prefer having discs for the extra $10. FWIW I would be willing to pay even a little more for printed manuals for the more complex titles. (Yes, I know I can print it out myself...)

On a related note, are the WITP:AE discs w/manuals from the recent sale shipping yet?
IainMcNeil

Post by IainMcNeil »

They arrived in the warehouse yesterday so once they have been processed and logged they'll be shipping out. Should be any day now. Thanks for you patience.
Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games
DerTroof

Post by DerTroof »

Thanks, Iain.
IainMcNeil

Post by IainMcNeil »

Actually I just got notified all back orders have already shipped so any new orders will ship immediately.
Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

Have they made a reader for PDF files or these socalled ebook files that makes it where you can carry it around and read the manual in the throne room like once before? I had read that a lot of these readers don't conform the files so they word wrap like a book does or wood? What's the scoop and what's a decent reader for game manuals in PDF form?
Dorb

Post by Dorb »

ORIGINAL: Alchenar

I don't know why in 2013 (soon to be 14) you'd pay extra for a CD, it's just a luddite tax.

I only grab the CD version when there is a nice fat juicy game manual included... just like every PC game back in the good ol days. Oh, how I loved Command HQ, High Command, civilization, and pretty much every SSI game made. [;)]
I am more afraid of an army of 100 sheep led by a lion than an army of 100 lions led by a sheep.
… Charles Maurice de Talleyrand-Perigord
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

I used to be that way to wouldn't buy anything without a bloomin manual, but, games became scarce without them so I had to break down and conform to the new way, I didn't like it and I still don't buy a lot without one, but still if you want some good games you have to take them with a pdf file or ebook way. [:(]
TorpX

Post by TorpX »

ORIGINAL: PipFromSlitherine

Command Ops does indeed seem to be a Digital Express product ......

So it sounds like things are working as they should.

Cheers

Pip

I guess I thought boxed version = manual. My mistake.

Still seems odd to ship disc/box copies without some kind of printed manual.

For the more complicated games, it would seem especially worthwhile to be able to have one.
TBH, I much prefer to be able to read things while lying down on my couch, than in front on the computer.

Anyway, thanks for responding.

TorpX

aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

I think they don't realize it's part of the 'tradition' of wargaming to have a printed manual, full colored maps and/or laminated maps of the games (they kept the just something to hold part by having a box and the cd but they left out the main part of buying boxed games). I remember back in the 80's when I got The War in Middle Earth getting a huge 48" x 36" printed map of Gondor. I proudly hung it on my walls for years until my wife tore it down because of fashion and all that crap. lol I also remember SSI used to put laminated maps in some of their games like the Civilwar series of games and Carriers at War. I remember even Computer Ambush came with 2 laminated maps and grease pencils for keeping up with your soldiers during the game. That is all gone now and it makes computer wargaming feel empty an abandoned and cheap. It's like a streetbum without the shopping cart.
Agathosdaimon

Post by Agathosdaimon »

i have bought boxed versions of Taskforce 1942, Red Storm Rising, Aegis and 1944 Across the Rhine just in the past year due mainly to the pleasure that box art, manuals and other extras that they all bring

I even got SSI's Ardennes Offensive - though it wont run on anything past win 98, and then i learnt its campaign is a bonus with Korsun pocket
DerTroof

Post by DerTroof »

Not to pile on, but if a game is not going to have a printed manual an attractive feature would be an in-game manual that could be referred to from a drop down menu within the game window (in addition to the pdf manual). One of my biggest beefs with pdf-only manuals is the need to flip to another window to look something up. Also, the manual could be updated with the game, as even pdf manuals rarely seem to get updated. I know some games have this feature, but I don't recall seeing it in a while.

Return to “General Discussion”