How to load AV Wright with a Flight Group

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

oaltinyay

How to load AV Wright with a Flight Group

Post by oaltinyay »

I have a question :

Apparently the AV Wright is the only ship on the allied side that has an operations capacity for the float planes she carries. I tried loading several FP and PAtrol planes into it but it doesnt happen.

How can I operate this ship as CS Nisshin ie with an operating flight group so I can use it in more aggressive missions just as the japanese nisshin and chitose ?
spence

RE: How to load AV Wright with a Flight Group

Post by spence »

You can't. US seaplane tenders only hoisted their seaplanes on board to perform maintenance. Nisshin, Chitose and that other one actually carried their (smaller) seaplanes on board and had special equipment for recovery of the planes while underway (the planes landed in the water, not on board though).

US seaplane tenders anchored someplace and the planes flew in. Load the tender with some supplies and then park it some little atoll with no base and fly the seaplanes in. They can operate from there. Just remember you're not safe from submarines there (not to mention visiting enemy CV's or surf TFs).
oaltinyay

Post by oaltinyay »

Why , then, she shows an operational group of 4 ?
Cpt Sherwood

Post by Cpt Sherwood »

Put a size 4 FP unit on her. They will conduct ops just fine.
“Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity.” ― Lucius Annaeus Seneca
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

And to do so you must make sure that the group you choose does not have a restricted HQ.
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: witpqs

And to do so you must make sure that the group you choose does not have a restricted HQ.

Actually, you can transfer restricted units to ships just fine. It sets their HQ to "Independent." Even white restricted. It just has to fit and the ship has to be in range ;). If the planes are flying to it, it can't be disbanded in port - it has to be in a TF.

With regards to not being safe from subs, you can disband an AV in port and it will provide the seaplane support, same as ever. In both cases, it will show up in the base information screen as Aviation Support - the "+24" or whatever that particular AV's value is. I'm not clear on what happens with the float planes on board, but I think they will still fly (perhaps at a reduced effectiveness).
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

ORIGINAL: witpqs

Actually, you can transfer restricted units to ships just fine. It sets their HQ to "Independent." Even white restricted. It just has to fit and the ship has to be in range ;). If the planes are flying to it, it can't be disbanded in port - it has to be in a TF.

With regards to not being safe from subs, you can disband an AV in port and it will provide the seaplane support, same as ever. In both cases, it will show up in the base information screen as Aviation Support - the "+24" or whatever that particular AV's value is. I'm not clear on what happens with the float planes on board, but I think they will still fly (perhaps at a reduced effectiveness).
That did not used to work. Did it change in a patch?
Puhis

Post by Puhis »

I've notice that too, and I'm sure it's a bug. You can change command of every carrier capable and float plane unit (restricted or permanently restricted) using AVs or CVs. And it cost no PPs...

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”