netplay issue

Please post only issues involving NetPlay here. All other issues should go in the main Tech Support sub-forum.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

celebrindal

RE: netplay issue

Post by celebrindal »

Just wanted to post that I registered on the slithern site and that got rid of my not able to connect to database issue.
Order is nothing more than Chaos on a bad day.

Dave
abulbulian

Post by abulbulian »

I fixed this by matching my username for MWif net play forum to my Slitherine username. Since you can't change your Slitherine username (unless unregistered first). Thus I went into the game root level file 'NetPlayReg.txt' and updated my username there. Hope this helps people. If not, then go ahead and PM me and I'll do my best to help you.
- Beta Tester WitE and ATG
- Alpha/Beta Tester WitW and WitE2

"Invincibility lies in the defence; the possibility of victory in the attack." - Sun Tzu
JR5555

Post by JR5555 »

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

I would think a minute and a half is plenty, but if this is what you are doing then try waiting longer. It would be interesting (I guess) to know if there's a difference between my two PCs on my home router and your two on different subnets.

Hi,

Bommerrang and I loaded our separate manual saves with the same game entry #2336. We both logged into the forum, waited a couple of minutes and we just sat there. Nothing happened twice, second time both running as administrator. It seems the game does not locate us for saved games, yet it does for starting new games.

After being logged in from a saved game it has never notified either one us that the other is logged in.

We would like to test this issue with other people and narrow the problem down. Anybody who is willing to test with Bommerrang or I please PM us.

Thanks.
Toby42

Post by Toby42 »

ORIGINAL: abulbulian

I fixed this by matching my username for MWif net play forum to my Slitherine username. Since you can't change your Slitherine username (unless unregistered first). Thus I went into the game root level file 'NetPlayReg.txt' and updated my username there. Hope this helps people. If not, then go ahead and PM me and I'll do my best to help you.

I had to update my password in the file to match my Slitherine password, then it worked!
Tony
JR5555

Post by JR5555 »

Quick update-

Mine and Bommerrang's issue's regarding restarting saved games have been resolved. It was a naming issue regarding one of our names in the save game textfile, this is why the program would not locate one of us and not restore the save.

Thanks Paulderynck
Zorachus99

Post by Zorachus99 »

I was able to get Netplay working. Unusual design, but it works once you understand how it wants to slurp you up. [:D]
Most men can survive adversity, the true test of a man's character is power. -Abraham Lincoln
steel3250

Post by steel3250 »

Is anyone else having this same issue?

I have been trying for a week to get on for 1st time but have the same error messages coming up as mentioned earlier on this post where I am unable to access seeking opponent database.

I do have the same username in netplay and Slitherine as I already corrected this, along with turning off my firewall but still to no avail.
celebrindal

Post by celebrindal »

The latest patch has re-broken the netplay for me. I got it to work after fixing the text file and creating an account at slitherine. After 1.04.1 I get the database error again, and now the error message which closes the app.
Order is nothing more than Chaos on a bad day.

Dave
Joseignacio

Post by Joseignacio »

NOw with 1.041 I don't get error messages but the game simply doesn't uodate my info with the phases of my opponent.
Sabre21

Post by Sabre21 »

I've got 1.05 loaded and still get the same "unable to access seeking opponent database" pop-up and can't figure how to even get a game started on netplay. I've read thru the help files several times and followed everything step by step and still no luck.
shaddock

Post by shaddock »

Yep I've got the same problem as Sabre21
save the carrots; eat a vegan!
Sabre21

Post by Sabre21 »

By the way, my log in name and password for netplay are identical to what I use to log in to Matrix.
abchambe

Post by abchambe »

Hi Sabre21,

I was having the exact situation and problem last night. I finally got it working after I registered my copy of WIF at Slitherine.com (can't post links yet) (I had already registered it at Matrixgames.com, but because the NetPlay server is managed by Slitherine, it looks like you have to register WIF there as well for the NetPlay server to recognize you. As soon as I registered, my buddy's request to play popped up and we were off and running...

Try that if you have not already done so.

For what it is worth, I can find no instructions anywhere of this need to register the game at Slitherine in order for NetPlay to function.

steel3250

Post by steel3250 »

VanIsleGamer

Perhaps you are correct on the solution. Unfortunately I registered my game with Matrix and now it will not let me register with Slitherine as it states serial # already used. When I look at Slitherine site for registered games it does not show up.

Would be nice:

1. Matrix/Slitherine sites cross reference on things such as serial #'s
2. There was a detailed explanation on what should be done properly to get netplay working/setup.

Been trying for over a week and losing patience with this game!
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

As far as I know there is no Slitherine registartion needed. I know that I never did and Netplay worked fine. There was an issue with the Slitherine servers that prevented netplay from working but that seems to be fixed now.

I suggest a reboot of your PC. I found that I had three versions of the game running even though the game had been completely shut down. I just tried accessing to the servers and everything worked fine for me.
gw15

Post by gw15 »

After trying to play a Barbarossa netplay game last night (I posted the issues on the Beta forum) I am concluding that the main issue with netplay is that the two PC's are randomly not talking to each other. Data juts drops off or does not get sent/receive causing freezes and crashing and crazy results. I conclude this because Solitaire works great. Slitherine needs to address the problem, and quickly. Players are becoming more and more frustrated with the product when using netplay. I don't know the realtionship between Matrix and Slitherine but Matrix needs to put pressure on someone to address this ASAP. In my limited experience the game is unplayable in netplay as it is today.
Assaultgdw

Post by Assaultgdw »

After installing the v1.05 update the "unable to connect to seeking opponent database" is still there for me....i registered at Sl. before you ask... so i suppose the problem still exists or is it just me?

BTW thanks for a fine game and all your hard work and dedication.

Many greetings from Germany to you all

Stephan
Titan

Post by Titan »

Like many I get the "Unable to access Seeking Opponent database". Says no where that I have to register with slitherene, but then I shouldn't need to. Many good points to this game but this multiplayer side to it is alittle to hard. Been on Slitherenes site to see where I register it there...Its a jumbled mess and I wouldn't even know where to start.
Sabre21

Post by Sabre21 »

I finally got thru and was able to log in and play a game with a friend that lives nearby. What I found out was that the name and password needed to log onto the Matrix forums was almost the same that I needed to log onto Netplay. My Matrix used capital first letters for both name and password while the netplay took the same words but no capitals. It took me awhile to experiment to the point where I actually changed my forum password to make sure I had it right, but I don't think it was necessary to go that far.

Just as a reminder, the NetPlayReg.txt file in your World in Flames folder under Matrix on most likely your C drive is where you find the Netplay log in name and password. You can easily change it there to match your matrix name and password.
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

Actually I checked all mine and they are all different. (I have two different ones for Netplay as I have two PCs for beta testing.)

So nothing to do with the discussion forum username/password.

It has to do with when you first access the NetPlay forum and create a username/password there. (I'll register my real copy of the game - versus the beta copies - later on and make an exact record for this so I can post detailed instructions. It's been long enough now for my beta versions that I just don't recall.) Once you've done that, then you should be able to log-in to the NetPlay forum and that should get rid of the problem for those who see: "unable to connect to seeking opponent database". The catch here is that folks who have played other (different Matrix) games using the Slitherine servers - already have usernames and passwords and must use the ones they already have.

Next, when starting a new game, you need to ensure that both playernames are absolutely identical to the NetPlay forum usernames. If you can both log-in to the NetPlay forum but your game does not launch automatically (assuming both of you have done the Restore of the matching game files) - then you need to check the player names in the game files (you can do this with Notepad - the names are near the top - however I'd advise against trying to edit game files - and compare them with the names in the NetPlayReg.txt file. If they are not absolutely identical - including what is capitalized - then edit the user name in the NetPlayReg.txt file to match the one in the game file.

Note you can't just make up player names when creating a new game - they must match your Netplay login username. The above editing procedure was found to fix an issue where some letters were captialized in one place but not the other.

Paul

Return to “NetPlay Tech Support”