Fleet Automation Broken

Post bug reports and ask for support here.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Panpiper

Fleet Automation Broken

Post by Panpiper »

I am surprised to see no thread already about this. I have seen numerous people remarking on the problem in other threads. Fleet automation with the latest expansion is not working for any range beyond system. I have tried several games now with the expansion and in none of them have any of my fleets ever left the system they are stationed in to engage enemies outside of the system.

I do know how to use fleet posture and such. I played DW exhaustively a year back prior to the Shadows expansion, and my response fleets would always do as intended and fly out to meet whatever enemy ventured into their engagement zone. In Shadows, none of them do, ever. Now, if I want ships to engage hostile pirates for instance, I am required to keep a fleet in absolutely every system I wish to defend. With bases all over the place, this is a nightmare. Frankly, without fleet automation working properly, I am finding the game borderline unplayable once an empire gets to medium size.

Is this a known bug? Is it being worked on? Or has something perhaps changed in the implementation of fleet automation that I am unaware of that would rectify the situation?
ReadeB

RE: Fleet Automation Broken

Post by ReadeB »

I recently saw a defensive fleet respond to an attack on a mining station in a nearby system, but this was the first time I had ever seen it.

I was directing an attack fleet to the rescue and noticed the nearby defensive fleet takeoff as well.

Neither fleet arrived in time to stop the pirates, but their ships didn't make it out alive either.
soilwork595

Post by soilwork595 »

I'm having the same issue too. I tried a few games and I always start off by making a defense fleet to protect my home planet with the range to sector, but they never attack any attacking ship/creature within the defense range. I figured I might as well keep playing and kept setting up other defense fleets. I set up 3 defensive fleets with a range of sector and had them overlap one another. My original defense fleet that I set to my home base still did nothing, while the other 2 fleets responded to attacks. This is very confusing and frustrating.

I tried going to support and opening a ticket but they told me to go to the forums with this issue, and so far I haven't heard of anything from an admin about this, or anyone that has a logical answer to this. I'm going to keep playing and set up more defense fleets to see what happens.
btd64

Post by btd64 »

I beleave this problem is being worked on. A solution I have is that every time a new colony is started I have it setup so a defensive base is started at that colony automatically. Give it a try.[:)]
Cheers
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
soilwork595

Post by soilwork595 »

Protecting my new colonies isn't really the issue here. It's more of protecting things around it, like my mining stations and what not. The point is to set the defensive range to where it will cover valuable stations in case of an attack. I COULD build weapons on each mining/resort station, and I COULD send patrol fleets to each system with a station there, but that would be a hassle and defeats the purpose if the game has something that is supposed to work.
btd64

Post by btd64 »

Assign Frigates to patrol those systems. I build up to about 40 of them in the first 15 to 20 years and they can help until a fleet arrives or the enemy leaves.[8D] I set them in small 2 to 4 ship fleets, and call them system patrol squadron #.
Cheers
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
soilwork595

Post by soilwork595 »

I have been issuing patrol fleets on places I deem too valuable to leave alone. It still doesn't make up for the fact that there is something broken in the game.

By the way, when you said "I believe this problem is being worked on", are you speculating or saying that based on something you saw?
Panpiper

Post by Panpiper »

I have come to the conclusion that with the fleet automation currently being broken, the game is basically unplayable without insane degrees of micromanagement. Yes, one can spam huge numbers of ships and arm all stations to the teeth and hope for the best, but that would require playing on easy or something in order to afford the maintenance. The way I am forced to play now is to micromanage to an absurd degree, not just fleet movement, but precise colony and base placement so that everything is in secured positions with a system stationed fleet. That quantity of detail management is frankly, not fun.

I am subscribed to this thread. If this ever gets fixed, hopefully someone can mention it on this thread, so I can come back to the game. Until then, in my opinion, this is a game breaking bug and I am done with DW till it is fixed.
elliotg

Post by elliotg »

Thanks for this report. Fleet response to enemy threats has been improved in the next update.

Elliot
Panpiper

Post by Panpiper »

Excellent news. DW is a great game, and I would like to get back to playing it.

Return to “Tech Support”