What are you playing these days?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

aaatoysandmore

What are you playing these days?

Post by aaatoysandmore »

What games interest you today and why?

I can't seem to find what I'm looking for or wanting to play. I want something quick and sorta like Warlords IV but in a different light. Kinda tired of fantasy. Tired of most wargames too. lol I mean seriously I find myself playing Guild Wars 2 more often than not and I really hate the mundane play of it because you don't really get any better you just aquire more loot. I do find I can play a quick game of something more redily than these monster games of hours and hours. I guess that's why I like Warlords IV so much. What you got on yer plate?
DSWargamer

RE: What are you playing these days?

Post by DSWargamer »

I think the perfect game, has to be something you can play for a few minutes or a few hours and in either case be something you can save and quit in under 30 seconds.

Ideally, I think a perfect game needs to be something you can learn in less than a day.

A perfect game is as good on a PC as it is on a console and can be played on a tablet.

I have found, that Small General is not easy to beat for ease of enjoyment. But it wouldn't really survive off of a tablet.
Strategic Command is great, but it seems like a game I'd rather see on a tablet as it seems that a PC has more power than the game needs.

I'd love to have Panzer Corp on my Android, but oh well. I think it is likely a good example of a game that can easily exploit any device on the market.

I play a lot of Battle Academy mainly as it is a fast and fun challenge in multi player. Controls are so darned easy to use too. But I am unsure I could use it on a tablet in multi player easily, as it might be a problem with battery duration. Not that it would be a problem solo.

My list of fav games, is likely BA, PC, Civ, gem games, dungeon crawl board game type games for Android. I'd love to see something Steel Panthers like on a tablet. I'm finding an increasing number of old school type board game looking wargames for Android now. Small General is fun, plus there is the Conflict series, and more recently Panzer Campaigns are appearing.

I have a mountain of PC wargames. I'd rather be playing them as board games though.
I have too many too complicated wargames, and not enough sufficiently interested non wargamer friends.
bairdlander2

Post by bairdlander2 »

Combat Mission Normandy,Italy and Market Garden.
Ranger33

Post by Ranger33 »

I've picked up a whole heap of wargames lately, mostly from Matrix (thanks to recent sales) but also some Combat Mission modules. I tinker with them while I'm busy with school, but I have the whole month of December off so I think I'll get a lot of good gaming done on that front. Probably FC: Red Storm, Advanced Tactics Gold, and Command Ops for the most part, I've fallen in love with them just based on the tutorials.

As far as other games, I play XCOM quite a bit since the expansion. I'm trying to beat the game on Classic Ironman but I just don't know if it's worth the effort. It seems like every time I have a good game going all my veterans get killed in the span of two missions. I think I'll try regular Classic and save-scum only if I get wiped. I have beaten the game on Normal, but its far too easy and not satisfying at all.

I really love ToME, it's a roguelike with nice graphics (for a roguelike) and a great UI. I play a round of it pretty much every day.

Of course, I have a ton of other games I play a bit here and there. I have the curse of having more games than time really, I can never stay focused on one long enough to get fully invested. 12 year old me, who only got a few new games a year and had all the time in the world to play them, didn't know how easy he had it.
Boomer78

Post by Boomer78 »

I haven't played many space games for a while except for FTL. However, a HUGE tidal wave of space related indies are coming out soon. Astrobase command, Interstellaria, Xenonauts, the next Gal Civ, an FTL expansion, and some kind of minecraft type space game... just to name a few.

If you're tired of fantasy and wargames, outer space might be a good place to look.

"Fly, god dammit it fly! God damn cheap Japanese flying packs!"
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

MWIF at last!!! [&o]

I am keeping an eye on Commander The Great War (CTGW) (waiting for Patch 1.4 as I am curious as to whether they can fix what is potentially a brilliant game). If they do I do not want to give up on CTGW as I have had so much value from it.

But that aside, it will be MWIF, MWIF and more MWIF for the foreseeable [:)]

Attachments
RN.jpg
RN.jpg (379.75 KiB) Viewed 223 times
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
KG Erwin

Post by KG Erwin »

In wargames, I tend to play BoA2, because of its unique look at warfare on the American continent during the late 18th-early 19th centuries. I still play SPWaW, simply because of the variety of weapons systems and it's the only way for me to play out the USMC War in the Pacific from 1942-45. Once in awhile I also play as the Germans, just because they have the coolest-looking weapons & uniforms. Even though they lost, you can't deny that they looked good. However, the USMC of WWII had the best-equipped infantry in the world by 1944, what with the M1 Garands and BARs, supplemented by bazookas, satchel charges and flamethrowers. Those 13 man squads were wrecking crews.
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

ORIGINAL: Boomer78

I haven't played many space games for a while except for FTL. However, a HUGE tidal wave of space related indies are coming out soon. Astrobase command, Interstellaria, Xenonauts, the next Gal Civ, an FTL expansion, and some kind of minecraft type space game... just to name a few.

If you're tired of fantasy and wargames, outer space might be a good place to look.

Any word on a Freelancer II, I loved that game for some reason. It ended all too quickly for me as I could play it out in a day or two. I remember going back and trying to get ALL the factions to like me, that was next to impossible but possible. The graphics were just awe inspiring I think and the story so immersive not seen since.
terje439

Post by terje439 »

MWiF
COG:EE - pbem
Witp:AE - pbem
WitE  - pbem
WarThunder

"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: terje439

MWiF
WitE  - pbem
WarThunder

warspite1

Wow terje, how do you keep up with all those games??!! Must be really confusing no?
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Darkspire

Post by Darkspire »

M:FB
WTF:ITTA
IANS:LALOB
TIWCU:WMAW
DW:BT

Darkspire
wings7

Post by wings7 »

I've been playing Fallout: New Vegas, an utterly captivating game [&o]. With all the add-ons it is a huge world with many quests , an excellent combat system , many many items to collect and create [X(], different modes of play , and character interaction . There are some minor bugs to contend with [:@] but you learn very quickly how to deal with them [8D]. As your character gains experience it is hard to stop playing...highly recommended!!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year and Gaming!
Patrick
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
budd

Post by budd »

Taking a small break from Command ops and FCRS and playing some prison architect and SM Railroads and CIV 5 . Sometimes when i don't know if or what i want to play i'll watch some LP's of some games i have interest in mostly some different stuff than my usual stuff.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.
terje439

Post by terje439 »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

ORIGINAL: terje439

MWiF
WitE  - pbem
WarThunder

warspite1

Wow terje, how do you keep up with all those games??!! Must be really confusing no?

At times, yes [:)]
Especially distinguishing which of the CoG games is which [:D]
But tbh, the pbem games are rather quickly done (5-10 mins for CoG, 30mins for Witp and about the same for WitE).

Terje
"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")
z1812

Post by z1812 »

Combat Mission...............Market Garden, Gustav Line, and Shock Force PBEM'S and SP
HPS Squad Battles...........Eagles Strike and Advance of the Reich PBEM
Matrix Campaign Series....West Front SP
Command Ops.................Highway to the Reich SP
Conflict of Heroes.............Awakening the Bear SP
GJK

Post by GJK »

Advanced Squad Leader later today. Can't wait.
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer
wodin

Post by wodin »

Flashpoint Campaigns:RS (Best wargame I've played in a very, very long time. Forget the sale buy this.), Silent Hunter 3 with mods, Ace Patrol 1 and 2, Flight Commander 2 (if you want it that works with Win 7 message me, Combat Mission Market Garden Campaign.
rickier65

Post by rickier65 »

I'm playing a few games but just a little bit on each

Panzer Command Ostfront (Matrix)
Battles in Italy (SSG)
Command Ops (Panther)
Conflict of Heroes (Western Civ).

I think I'm going to pick up Norbsoft's Scourge of War Gettysburg, (I enjoyed TC2M) and AGEOD's Alea Acta Est which will be completely new experience as I haven't played any of this style of game.

Rick
Kineas

Post by Kineas »

I played Advanced Tactics today. 1942 Russian campaign scenario. Germans = me. Russians = me.
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

ORIGINAL: Kineas

I played Advanced Tactics today. 1942 Russian campaign scenario. Germans = me. Russians = me.

who's winning? me? [:'(]

Return to “General Discussion”