A question about the story and victory conditions

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

hardcoregamer

A question about the story and victory conditions

Post by hardcoregamer »

Being somebody who bought all of the expansions before I played my first game, there are some things I want to know about the story and victory conditions.

1. Where can I find information about the story? The manual only talks about the story in Shadows.

2. If I enable both the original distant worlds story events and the Return of the Shakturi story events then will the game have 2 story lines playing out at the same time?

3. If someone meats victory conditions, then will the game just end or can I continue playing?
Canute0

RE: A question about the story and victory conditions

Post by Canute0 »

Original Story: basicly your explorer going into this. They found a hint at some ruins at some planet somewhere, and this lead to another. And at the end you find the location of the planet destroyer.

The Shakturi story is more simple, you got the warning from the Mechanoid race, and when you or someone found the beacon, the shakturi arrive incognito and reveal later their real presence. You can decide what side you want choose.

Yes, you can keep playing after your or someone else won the game.
hardcoregamer

Post by hardcoregamer »

ORIGINAL: Canute

Original Story: basicly your explorer going into this. They found a hint at some ruins at some planet somewhere, and this lead to another. And at the end you find the location of the planet destroyer.

The Shakturi story is more simple, you got the warning from the Mechanoid race, and when you or someone found the beacon, the shakturi arrive incognito and reveal later their real presence. You can decide what side you want choose.

Yes, you can keep playing after your or someone else won the game.

So you can actually side with the shakturi?

That's wierd. Its kind of like if the aliens from Mass Effect were to ally with the reapers. Why would anyone want to ally with a race bent on destroying the galaxy?
ardonquen

Post by ardonquen »

I have a question! Is getting the 'Way of the Ancients' government part of the Shakturi storyline?
Canute0

Post by Canute0 »

So you can actually side with the shakturi?

That's wierd. Its kind of like if the aliens from Mass Effect were to ally with the reapers. Why would anyone want to ally with a race bent on destroying the galaxy?
Yes you can. Noone prevent you to destroy the shakturi after that.
Why not destroying the galaxy, maybe it is something different, maybe you are xenophobe and you want be alone.

I have a question! Is getting the 'Way of the Ancients' government part of the Shakturi storyline?
Story no, you can discover these goverment when you explore ruins.
Plant

Post by Plant »

Getting the way of the ancients/darkness is part of the original distant worlds story events, and is separate from the shakturi events.
Canute0

Post by Canute0 »

No it isn't part of a story event. Why ? Because i allways disable the original and Shakturi story event at my last games and found these goverment.

So you can find these goverments just randomly from any ruins you can discover.
drmario89

Post by drmario89 »

The special governments can be found both in ruins AND by completing the original story. Well, at least the Way of Ancients can be. The Way of Ancients is also a part of the Shakturi story line. Not sure about Darkness. I've only found that in ruins.
hardcoregamer

Post by hardcoregamer »

ORIGINAL: drmario89

The special governments can be found both in ruins AND by completing the original story. Well, at least the Way of Ancients can be. The Way of Ancients is also a part of the Shakturi story line. Not sure about Darkness. I've only found that in ruins.

Can you enable both storylines (original distant worlds and Shakturi) at the same time and still have a logical game?
Canute0

Post by Canute0 »

Define "logical game" ! :-)

Do you mean, the shipyards and the World destroyer from the original story imbalance the gameplay ? The other empire do repair derelicts too. And you even can find abandon ship even with disabled storylines.

And the Shakturi are a strong opponent, if they appear, its a challenge if they got you unprepared.

hardcoregamer

Post by hardcoregamer »

Define "logical game" ! :-)

Do you mean, the shipyards and the World destroyer from the original story imbalance the gameplay ? The other empire do repair derelicts too. And you even can find abandon ship even with disabled storylines.

And the Shakturi are a strong opponent, if they appear, its a challenge if they got you unprepared.

What I meant by logical was that I was asking if the 2 story lines going on at the same time made the game confusing or wierd to play.
drmario89

Post by drmario89 »

Can you enable both storylines (original distant worlds and Shakturi) at the same time and still have a logical game?

The original story is basically you exploring locations around the galaxy and finding out about the Shakturi's first invasion and how it was dealt with. As Canute said, the Shakturi arrive when a particular beacon is discovered or after a certain amount of time (both have happened to me). They say they are something else, but you, the player, know they are Shakturi because of their picture. I guess what I'm trying to say is that having both story lines enabled doesn't cause some kind of paradox or anything, so yeah it's logical. I don't know how the Shadows story line plays into it, since I never enable it.
Plant

Post by Plant »

No it isn't part of a story event. Why ? Because i allways disable the original and Shakturi story event at my last games and found these goverment.

So you can find these goverments just randomly from any ruins you can discover.
The original story line is about discovering the galaxy's background story and discovering those governments as well as other discoveries. Finding those governments outside of the original storyline, does not change that it is part of a story event at all.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”