Can't start the game

Post bug reports and ask for support here.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

soilwork595

RE: Can't start the game

Post by soilwork595 »

Ok I got it to work finally. I went to Appdata/Roaming/Code Force Unlimited, and there was a folder with a crashdump.txt folder. I checked the crashdump and the first line said, "Font 'Verdana' does not support style 'Regular'. I did some research and it seems I was missing the 'Regular' font of Verdana. I downloaded the font and put it in font folder in C:/Windows/Fonts and now the game runs. Please check the font folder to make sure you have 4 types of Verdana fonts, I was missing the regular one. I hope this helps anyone still stuck with trying to start the game
poerk55

Post by poerk55 »

ORIGINAL: soilwork595

Ok I got it to work finally. I went to Appdata/Roaming/Code Force Unlimited, and there was a folder with a crashdump.txt folder. I checked the crashdump and the first line said, "Font 'Verdana' does not support style 'Regular'. I did some research and it seems I was missing the 'Regular' font of Verdana. I downloaded the font and put it in font folder in C:/Windows/Fonts and now the game runs. Please check the font folder to make sure you have 4 types of Verdana fonts, I was missing the regular one. I hope this helps anyone still stuck with trying to start the game

As I said in a previous comment, I don't have a file called crashdump.txt folder or file for some reason. Isn't it Code Force Limited btw?

I checked the fonts you mentioned and I have 4 verdana fonts, incl. the regular one.
soilwork595

Post by soilwork595 »

Yes it is in the Code Force Unlimited subfolder. When I opened the folder there was a Distant Worlds subfolder, I opened that and it listed another folder with the name being the version of the game, like 1.0.7.1 for example. I opened that folder and there was a DW_crashdump.txt file there. Check to see if you have it there.

Are you having trouble loading the base game, or do you have all the expansions and can't load Shadows? I had trouble with the game in general and not just the Shadows expansion like many did. Try installing the game with your antivirus off and then try running the game with it off as well to see if its your firewall.

Go to the Redist folder in your matrix folder and double click xnafx40_redist.msi and make sure your xna file is installed.

Make sure you have Window Media Player enabled. Control Panel/Programs/Turn on-off Windows Features, and make sure windows media player is checked

Make sure .Net Framework is up to date and run the repair too given by the admins in related posts.

Make sure video and audio drivers are up to date
poerk55

Post by poerk55 »

ORIGINAL: soilwork595

Yes it is in the Code Force Unlimited subfolder. When I opened the folder there was a Distant Worlds subfolder, I opened that and it listed another folder with the name being the version of the game, like 1.0.7.1 for example. I opened that folder and there was a DW_crashdump.txt file there. Check to see if you have it there.

Are you having trouble loading the base game, or do you have all the expansions and can't load Shadows? I had trouble with the game in general and not just the Shadows expansion like many did. Try installing the game with your antivirus off and then try running the game with it off as well to see if its your firewall.

Go to the Redist folder in your matrix folder and double click xnafx40_redist.msi and make sure your xna file is installed.

Make sure you have Window Media Player enabled. Control Panel/Programs/Turn on-off Windows Features, and make sure windows media player is checked

Make sure .Net Framework is up to date and run the repair too given by the admins in related posts.

Make sure video and audio drivers are up to date

Can't find anything called DW_crashdump.txt or xnafx40_redist.msi anywhere in my DW folders.
soilwork595

Post by soilwork595 »

Is it just the base game you're having trouble with or the Shadows expansion?
poerk55

Post by poerk55 »

I don't own shadows. I have legends.
soilwork595

Post by soilwork595 »

Did you try just playing just the base game? I would currently go through support and open a ticket, if you haven't already. They are pretty good at getting back to you quickly. I would maybe ask them to send you download links to the game just to make sure you have the right ones. Open a ticket though and explain to them the problem while including what you have done already to try and fix it.
poerk55

Post by poerk55 »

ok thanks. I will try that.
btd64

Post by btd64 »

poerk55, List your specs here. That way someone may have another idea on how to help you. For example, I have an older gateway laptop(5 years old) and the video card was all wrong so the game would not start. Also make sure you have the .net 4.0 framework and xna framework 4.0 installed.
Cheers
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
poerk55

Post by poerk55 »

After re-installing I can play the game once or twice before the problem occurs.

win 7, geforce gtx 660 ti, 12 gb ram, 2,67 ghz(8cpus)
elliotg

Post by elliotg »

ORIGINAL: ColinFrancis
Well boys, I have given yup trying to start on my main games rig, Win 8, three months old, very powerful box. Went back to a three year old Vista laptop.

I installed DW 1.00 no problems, the updated with Return of Shakhturi...still startedK. After Legend it would not start. Never bothered with Shadows.

I don't know what the problem is, the dump file was as shown above in my previous post.
Hi Colin

The error you posted above indicates a problem with the installation - you are missing some required image files. You should reinstall Legends and try again.

Thanks
Elliot
elliotg

Post by elliotg »

ORIGINAL: poerk55
After re-installing I can play the game once or twice before the problem occurs.

If the game now sometimes plays, then you may find that it is now also generating a crash dump file that will tell us why it stops working.

Have a look at the following location for the file and post the contents here in this thread:
C:\Users\[YOURUSERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\Code Force Limited\Distant Worlds\1.7.0.20\DW_CrashDump.txt

Note that the username and version number in the above path may be different for you, depending on your version of Legends - just use whatever version shows up at the bottom-left of the startup screen.

Thanks
Elliot
poerk55

Post by poerk55 »

ORIGINAL: elliotg
ORIGINAL: poerk55

If the game now sometimes plays, then you may find that it is now also generating a crash dump file that will tell us why it stops working.

Have a look at the following location for the file and post the contents here in this thread:
C:\Users\[YOURUSERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\Code Force Limited\Distant Worlds\1.7.0.20\DW_CrashDump.txt

Note that the username and version number in the above path may be different for you, depending on your version of Legends - just use whatever version shows up at the bottom-left of the startup screen.

Thanks
Elliot

I don't have a file called DW_crashdump.txt anywhere. The game doesn't crash, it just doesn't start-up after I click play? Is that why?
Lionclaw30

Post by Lionclaw30 »

Posting here since there's a thread already.

I have a problem with Distant Worlds: Shadows not starting.

Distant Worlds and the previous expansions start up fine.

Tried without and with the latest update. When attempting to start up the cursor changes to a loading cursor, then back, and nothing more.
I checked in the task manager, and I found a Distant Worlds process.

I tried starting directly via the executable instead of the launcher, same result.

There's no crash file in AppData/Roaming/Code Force Limited/Distant Worlds.

I leave my dxdiag file in this post as well.
Attachments
DxDiag.txt
(34.54 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
Quoth

Post by Quoth »

Hi All

Have the same problem. Hadn't played for a while and when I clicked on play nothing happened. Uninstalled all three (Distant Words, Return of the Shakturi and Legends) and just reinstalled the base game. Same problem!
Using OS windows 7 64 bit professional.

I've attached the dump file in the hope someone can decipher.

Hope someone can help

Regards

Alan

Attachments
DW_CrashDump.txt
(1.14 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
Quoth

Post by Quoth »

Ok sorted, I didn't have windows media player activated!

Many thanks to Matrix support for a VERY quick reply and fix [&o]

Regards

Alan
Lionclaw30

Post by Lionclaw30 »

Windows media player is activated, tried setting the Date & Time and keyboard to English (USA), AVG hasn't kidnapped any files. And I've reinstalled a couple of times. Repaired .NET 4.5.1 and the XNA thingy.

Don't know what else to try. [&:]

Return to “Tech Support”