I want something more epic than SotSE or Endless Space

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

leafs43

I want something more epic than SotSE or Endless Space

Post by leafs43 »

Is Distant Worlds the game for me?
LoweN

RE: I want something more epic than SotSE or Endless Space

Post by LoweN »

Yes, even the size of the galaxy is much larger than in those games.
Jorgen_CAB

Post by Jorgen_CAB »

Either this game or if you want something truly complex take a look at Aurora. I don't think there are any game that beats Aurora in vastness and complexity in the 4x genre, but you need to use your imagination since it does not incorporate much graphics.

Distant World seems as a good middle-ground of accessibility and hard core.
Osito

Post by Osito »

In my opinion, yes: this is one of the most epic-feeling games I've ever played.

You can have 1400 star systems (actually you can use the game editor to add more, but that gets a little tedious - adding them, rather than having more).

If you want, you can start from a pre-warp society which can only travel within it's starting solar system.

I believe the game to be far superior to SotSE or Endless Space.

You have to give it time, but if you're prepared to put in the time to understand how it works, it will reward you.

Also, we're due a new patch, hopefully by early next week at the latest.

Osito
Osito
leafs43

Post by leafs43 »

ORIGINAL: Jorgen_CAB

Either this game or if you want something truly complex take a look at Aurora. I don't think there are any game that beats Aurora in vastness and complexity in the 4x genre, but you need to use your imagination since it does not incorporate much graphics.

I don't really need something complex to the point of being convoluted just to be convoluted. I just want something that feels like a real empire builder with real exploration.

zenkmander

Post by zenkmander »

This is the game you want then. Endless Space and Sins look better and have better combat, but those games were made to be more accessible and thus less complex, since a lot of people don't bother with games that have learning curves. Just look at CK2 for example. When it first came out there were lots of people who shrugged it off as being too time-consuming to learn, but there were enough fans spreading the word that now it's enormous.

Distant Worlds is in the same vein. It's by far the most complete and fulfilling space grand strategy game.
Jorgen_CAB

Post by Jorgen_CAB »

ORIGINAL: leafs43

I don't really need something complex to the point of being convoluted just to be convoluted. I just want something that feels like a real empire builder with real exploration.

Aurora is actually not that more complex than "Distant Worlds", it has a very similar economic model. The main difference is in ship design, logistics and ship combat.

I say both games are worth trying out. I would say that you can play both. Aurora are completely free so it only cost you some time. [;)]
leafs43

Post by leafs43 »

Aurora is actually not that more complex than "Distant Worlds", it has a very similar economic model. The main difference is in ship design, logistics and ship combat.

I say both games are worth trying out. I would say that you can play both. Aurora are completely free so it only cost you some time. [;)]

I looked into Aurora as per this thread and I don't think it is for me.

I'm not a stickler for graphics but Aurora looks like it runs on Windows 93.
Raap

Post by Raap »

Problem with Aurora isn't the graphics, it's the stupid UI and slow turn time. Takes ages to get anything done. Ugh. Great concept though.

But yeah, DW is excellent, it's quickly climbed to be one of the best 4x games. For epic there's also MoO3, which becomes a great and very unique 4x game when you've applied one of the huge mod packs.
leafs43

Post by leafs43 »

I'm also very in tune with the Paradox games like CK2, EU3/4, HoI3 and Vickie 2.

Does this game have a similar learning curve or is it harder?
zenkmander

Post by zenkmander »

Very similar learning curve, at least for me. Just like with CK2 it helps tremendously if you watch some videos, read some guides etc and then dive in. I started with Das' videos here, they're excellent: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0RjoEX2thM

And then any other questions you have simply ask here and people are happy to help [:)]
Plant

Post by Plant »

Epic is subjective, but Distant Worlds is epic primarily because of it's scale. 700 systems in a normal size game, complete with planets, asteroid fields and moons, when most game have far less star systems, represents a star system with one planet, and allow only a few empires.
leafs43

Post by leafs43 »

Last question but how is performance when 2 to 3 giant fleets fight each other?
zenkmander

Post by zenkmander »

Depends on your computer of course but the game performs fine for me pretty much no matter what (at least on my last game, 700 systems). However if you go at 4x speed during end-game I can imagine it might lag a little.

There's also a bit of UI lag with certain menus (like the one that pulls up every ship in your empire), but even that isn't terrible, just not instantaneous.
Lucian

Post by Lucian »

DW is certainly epic, I find there are few 4x games that give me that feeling of playing in a living, breathing galaxy like DW does.

Aurora is also epic but *far* more complicated (and deep) than DW. It has - rightly IMO - been called the Dwarf Fortress of space games. Just the process of ship design is quite an art form and will have you scratching your head for days before you can make even a basic ship. And the graphics are pretty much non-existant although I would say the UI is much better organized than Dwarf Fortress, although that isn't saying much. Whether that's your cup of tea or not is up to you.
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

Galactic Civ I & II (with expansions) sounds up your alley. I love the ability to design my own ships and see them in action. Strategically it has a lot more difficulty levels so the ai is a little better, you'll get more challenge out of it and from what I've seen there aren't any ancient race weapons that ruin the game like in this one.

I just got Shadows so here's hoping it improved upon the ai, I hear that pirates ai is now a force to be reckoned with but I had hoped that the other factions got improved too, especially in the research and diplomacy dept.
erieelmer

Post by erieelmer »

I had a bad time with DW until I watched LPs. I recommend Larry Monte's micromanagement he slows the game down so you can see whats going on. After watching them the learning curve for the game flattened out.
leafs43

Post by leafs43 »

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore

Galactic Civ I & II (with expansions) sounds up your alley. I love the ability to design my own ships and see them in action. Strategically it has a lot more difficulty levels so the ai is a little better, you'll get more challenge out of it and from what I've seen there aren't any ancient race weapons that ruin the game like in this one.

I just got Shadows so here's hoping it improved upon the ai, I hear that pirates ai is now a force to be reckoned with but I had hoped that the other factions got improved too, especially in the research and diplomacy dept.

I in fact own Gal Civ 2.

It's just becoming a bit dated and news of Gal Civ 3 made me want to get my space sim fix in.
jesuswhywhy

Post by jesuswhywhy »

this is a game that fuels the imagination [&o]
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore

I in fact own Gal Civ 2.

It's just becoming a bit dated and news of Gal Civ 3 made me want to get my space sim fix in.

I'm really not to keen on sequels as they seem to get more poorly as the numbers go up. Look at the Heroes of Might & Magic series and that childfest of a game the modern day King's Bounty. It's just more logs into the fire if you ask me. I like something different. Even with Galactic Civ the higher numbers have to bring more of what I don't like and less of what I do like. I hear they are going to implement multiplayer in it and that means less resources and less time for other things I like.

Age of Wonders remake or III is coming as well. I didn't care for II or Shadowlords, but, oh well I'm not the publisher or developer I can just turn away like I have been for several years now on remakes (cough Panzer Corp series, Close Combat series to name a couple), I've just become more conservative and groggy in my old age. [:D]

It's one of the things I like about Distant Worlds is it's not Distant Worlds I or II or III etc., but actual new names and expansions. Each one promising something new and hopefully a new an improved ai in Shadows. Seems I'm always and forever on a quest for the perfect ai game.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”