Optional rules missing...

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Durgard

Optional rules missing...

Post by Durgard »

Hi all

My question is maybe a noob one, but it seems that we cant choose to play with some options.

Frogmen, V-Weapon, Convoi in flames, and some others stay always grey and could never be choose whatever other options you select.

Is it normal ?

Thx and sorry if this question was already asked.
Arnir

RE: Optional rules missing...

Post by Arnir »

Hi. You can search a bit and find some discussions about this, but about 24(?) or so of the optional rules are not in the game as of this time. So, yes, greyed out should mean not available by design.
Dabrion

Post by Dabrion »

Frogmen, V-Weapon/A-Bomb, Partisan HQ, GBA, CBV, NSU, CoiF (believe this means ASW units), Rough Seas, Tankers, Surprised ZOC, Kamikaze, Bounce Combat, En-route interception, Limited AC interception, Flying Bombs, Naval OC, Isolated reorg., Hitler's War, Recruitment Limits, Japanese Command Conflict, USSR-Japan compulsory peace, The Ukraine, Intelligence.

All these are in the list but greyed out.

SiF+CliF (sans rough seas), Divisions and the rest of AsA/Afa+MiF are in, I believe. KiF, Commandos and FiF stuff is off the list. The only oil rule is the old AfA option 48. So yea.. we cant play many of the options that matter (BC, GBA, Pablos Oil, ASW) and some that are still nice to have (other unit type additions, Tankers.
"If we come to a minefield, our infantry attacks exactly as it were not there." ~ Georgy Zhukov
wodin

Post by wodin »

I wonder why you get to see the optional rules in the game when they aren't actually in the game..feels like a torment.

I was looking through the optional rules the other day and wa thinking about how much depth they must add..only to find a fair few if the ones that had me interested aren't in game. Just seems really odd have optional rules shown in the game when they aren't in the game..I think it would have been best to have left them out all together and make no mention of them..otherwise certain screenshots are abit deceiving (it was a screenshot of an AAR where I first saw all the optional rule options..
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

ORIGINAL: wodin

I wonder why you get to see the optional rules in the game when they aren't actually in the game..feels like a torment.

I was looking through the optional rules the other day and wa thinking about how much depth they must add..only to find a fair few if the ones that had me interested aren't in game. Just seems really odd have optional rules shown in the game when they aren't in the game..I think it would have been best to have left them out all together and make no mention of them..otherwise certain screenshots are abit deceiving (it was a screenshot of an AAR where I first saw all the optional rule options..
Most of them will be added either as part of the original purchase, or as part of an expansion of MWIF. I wanted the Players Manuals to be complete for those versions of MWIF.
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: wodin

warspite1

Because no doubt a significant number of those that purchase MWIF play WIF or at least own the game. It is only fair therefore that, given this is a faithful reproduction of the boardgame, the optional rules not available should be known to prospective purchasers. The blurb on the website specifically mentions 58 optionals so anyone that owns the game will know they are not all programmed.

EDIT: crossed with Steve's post.
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Dabrion

Post by Dabrion »

Expansion, like in "extra cost" expansion?
"If we come to a minefield, our infantry attacks exactly as it were not there." ~ Georgy Zhukov
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

Most of the missing optional rules should be part of version 1 (this one) at no cost. The AI version with the remainder of the optional rules will be the 'expansion' with an extra cost. And no I do not which optionals rules will be free and which ones are not.

Personally, I am happy with the ones already included so I am not too concerned with the ones that are no currently ready [:)] But that is just me [:)]
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

ORIGINAL: Dabrion

Expansion, like in "extra cost" expansion?
Yes.

Section 2 of the Players Manual on optional rules describes pretty well.
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
Dabrion

Post by Dabrion »

Sadness..
Durgard

Post by Durgard »

Thx for the answer [:)]
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

ORIGINAL: Dabrion

Sadness..

Really? The entire game along with a huge number of optional rules are already included in a computerized version of WiF (that works amazingly well) and you are upset becuse ALL of the optional were not included already? And that there may be an extra cost involved to get the missing ones? Talk about unrealistic expectations.

I would think you would be happy to be able to play the game without taking up an entire room for a long period of time even without every single optional rule avaiable. But if you want to play the physical game or use Vassel in order to have the optional rules you have to have versus this amazing product, then that is certainly your choice.
Dabrion

Post by Dabrion »

Yea really..
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

Then life must really disapoint you at lot [:)]

Return to “World in Flames”