Impressions of Matrix World In Flames (MWIF)

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

warspite1

Impressions of Matrix World In Flames (MWIF)

Post by warspite1 »

I had previously played 5th Edition of World In Flames (WIF) – although that was the best part of 20 years ago. Real life then took over and so I haven’t had a chance to play since. Realistically, but for MWIF, I would not be able to until maybe retirement…[:(]

With MWIF though, and the fact that I do not need to commandeer half the house to set the game up, I am able to take up arms once again. But would I still want to play it? Would it be any good?

I look back on the time playing WIF with good memories. The game was fun, good looking, but incredibly challenging. I lost more games than I won, but that did not dim the sense of enjoyment (well it did during the actual game of course because losing sucks…[:D]).

I first found out about Matrix Games and WIF being made for the computer in 2008. In all the time waiting for the game I never really considered whether I would actually like playing the game after all these years – after all times and tastes change – and since 1996 there has been lots of good computer war games to spend hard earned leisure time with. I guess I just assumed I would continue to enjoy the game when it finally came out and I would just pick up where I left off (notwithstanding the rules (and some counters) have changed radically since the 5th Edition).

So having got the game and dived in with Global War and all the optional rules, 1. What was the reality like? 2. How does MWIF actually compare to board game WIF? 3. How does MWIF (which is a faithful reproduction of the board game) compare to other war games?

I am pleased to say that the answer to the last two questions is pretty straightforward:

2. How does MWIF actually compare to board game WIF?

There is no discernable difference. The game plays like WIF, just as it’s designed to. There are swings and roundabouts in terms of “what is better, computer or table top?” On the plus side, with MWIF, you cannot misinterpret the rules, although sometimes on the negative side, with MWIF you cannot misinterpret the rules [;)]. Joking aside, this factor cannot be over emphasised. Learning to play, and know intimately, all 64-pages of rules with the board game version, is not something a player can do unless they really have a lot of time and energy.

A downside is that the computer game is very unforgiving if you miss a move or an attack and you have gone on to the next stage – whereas with a human opponent opposite you, you could always agree to going back a step. However, after a few disastrous consequences of playing too hastily, I suspect that such forgetfulness will disappear quite quickly.

The only other real difference is that you get more of an overall feel for the game when you can see the entire map, and the counters upon it, all laid out in front of you. However, given that lack of ability to set up said map is one of the reasons many stopped playing (or never started) that is just a necessary evil.

3. How does WIF/MWIF compare to other war games?

Since I stopped playing WIF, I have played a few computer wargames (I am an avid wargamer in terms of time spent playing rather than different numbers of games) and have hugely enjoyed only three really – Civ II / IV, Rome Total War and Commander The Great War. These have been fun and certainly “scratched an itch” but I felt there was nothing that ever really came close to WIF. With all three, I never felt that I would never play anything else. When I was playing WIF, that was the feeling I had. Why?

WWII is my favourite period of military history – and what WIF does is to allow a player control over the armies, navies and air forces that took part in the biggest conflict in human history. Each major power feels like its historical equivalent in terms of the make-up of its forces, the goals it needs to accomplish, the advantages and disadvantages it has relative to other powers, and the side it’s on. But subject to a few hard and fast rules that ensure every game of WIF/MWIF has a WWII framework, a player is free to choose a wide range of strategic alternatives.

Aesthetics are important to me in a wargame. WIF (with the notable exception of the Final Edition maps) was quite simply, beautiful. The counters are colourful, easy to read in terms of information contained vs looks, and well presented. Nato symbols for the land units, full colour silhouettes for the aircraft and ships. Due to the limitations of a cardboard game, the presentation of the land units is less than optimal (although still well done), but the game makers, Australian Design Group, make a thoroughly brilliant job of the aircraft and ship units. This is a strategic level game remember, and yet every single ship (plus some “what-if’s” too) of light cruiser class and above, is represented in the game. Genius! Fancy up gunning the Scharnhorsts? [X(] Fancy building the Malta-class carriers and Lion-class battleships for the Royal Navy? [8D] Or giving Mussolini the aircraft carriers required for Mare Nostrum? [8|] Well they are all possible with this game - and much more. The treatment of the aircraft is a kind of halfway house between the two. The counters represent hundreds of aircraft but you get to fly named aircraft types to each combat – not faceless, generic “Fighters” or “Bombers”, but, for example, Mustangs or Heinkels.

Another great thing about WIF/MWIF is the replayability factor. Because there are no set starting positions, because the counter mix is not guaranteed, because the reinforcements you build are chosen at random (within the build types) and because of the randomness of weather, turn length and dice, there are no “perfect” attacks/strategies.

World In Flames is a game that either side (or major power if playing with more than two) can win. It is a monster of a game and yet designed to be fun. It is not a logistics game. Yes, a game of this size and complexity will have an element of micro-management, but this aspect is sensibly handled. There is very little time spent on boring “housekeeping” and “admin” type stuff. Even when not engaged in combat, as a player you are constantly having to think ahead – to properly plan what you want to do and what you need to achieve your goals. You then have to get those assets in the right place at the right time.

So yes, this game beats all others I have tried hands down.

So this leads to the initial question – what was the reality like, playing again after all these years?

Well one thing is for certain – I had forgotten the detail of just how challenging this game is. I am doing an AAR – Global War with all the trimmings (optional rules) - and as anyone who has read any of it will testify, if has been a catalogue of mistake after mistake after embarrassing mistake. I have forgotten to build AMPH with the Commonwealth, I have forgotten to properly place HQ’s so that supply has been an issue, I have forgotten to carry out attacks. There is just so much to do!! [&:]

But do you know what? I don’t care – because it’s fun! The reality is, I am enjoying having this old, long lost friend back again! [:)]

The game has some bugs still being ironed out, but that is understandable given the enormity of the project, and already there have been four patches, so the support for the game is there, and I am sure, will continue to be. I am up to Sep/Oct 1941 and – touchwood – have had no game-stopping bugs.

So a huge thank-you to Matrix, and above all to Steve [&o][&o], for bringing the best strategic game ever to the computer. And of course equally huge thanks to Harry Rowland and ADG for designing such a masterpiece in the first place [&o][&o].
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
76mm

RE: Impressions of Matrix World In Flames (MWIF)

Post by 76mm »

great review warspite, thanks, I look forward to playing.
DSWargamer

Post by DSWargamer »

Perhaps this is where I say it shines.

"Another great thing about WIF/MWIF is the replayability factor. Because there are no set starting positions, because the counter mix is not guaranteed, because the reinforcements you build are chosen at random (within the build types) and because of the randomness of weather, turn length and dice, there are no “perfect” attacks/strategies."

I love playing A3R, but sadly, the board game suffers a tad from perfect set up syndrome. So it is fair to say that it is not just a problem that is common with computer wargames.

I too miss the ability to just look down and see the board. But as was mentioned, the reason my copy of 5th remains under used is the board refuses to accept a small space.

When I first heard of the code coming here, I was quite happy, and then I confess, I was hardly a nice person when dealing with the waiting :) I think the beta team likely have suffered more nasty than any other wargame ever brought to the computer.

I am slow in getting around to diving into the deep end in my case. Currently I have yet to go past splashing my ankles in the wading pool.

There are precious few games on the computer, that were never board games originally, that have come as far as this one has though. I can't think of a single grand strategy design.

The interface for this game will not be a simple learn, I never thought it would be. Oh well, I will manage. It's worth it. Every time I go past 6 months of playing ASL I find I basically have to go through a refresher period even though I have been playing the game since it was invented :)

I doubt I'd be able to just sit down and play my Advanced Third Reich today if a friend dropped by this afternoon for a go. And I have played untold hours of that one too.

I'm likely going to browse through the paper manual from my board game as a way of getting fully into the experience. I might even consider putting the maps up on the wall as a decoration and a convenient full screen feel :) Even if they both will be lacking in comparison. Sort of like taking a shower before jumping in the pool :)
I have too many too complicated wargames, and not enough sufficiently interested non wargamer friends.
alexvand

Post by alexvand »

Warspite,

Thanks for the review, I feel very much the same!

Magpius

Post by Magpius »

Yep, Good Call Warspite, and I'm enjoying the AAR also

"I don't believe in reincarnation because I refuse to come back as a bug or as a rabbit".
Blue Army

Post by Blue Army »

+1, well said Warspite.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Agent S

Yep, Good Call Warspite, and I'm enjoying the AAR also
warspite1

Agent S where did you get the Avatar? Did you do that yourself? I see that with Khaki in Flames the 9th Division is now represented, but it has different values and has the A in the middle.

Magpius

Post by Magpius »

Yes, home made. Colours from KIF, scan set. if you could let me know the real values, (or a pic) I will mod accordingly. Thanks.

"I don't believe in reincarnation because I refuse to come back as a bug or as a rabbit".
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Yes, home made. Colours from KIF, scan set. if you could let me know the real values, (or a pic) I will mod accordingly. Thanks.
warspite1

There you go!

Attachments
9th.jpg
9th.jpg (6.28 KiB) Viewed 312 times

Magpius

Post by Magpius »

Thank you Sir,
much appreciated.

Cataphract88

Post by Cataphract88 »

Thanks for a very well-written review, Warspite.
Richard
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Thank you Sir,
much appreciated.
warspite1

Quality looking avatar for a qualiteeee division Agent S [&o][&o][&o] SEVEN Victoria Crosses no less [8D]

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: cataphract88

warspite1

Thank-you sir, and with all this green and grey appearing, can I persuade you to swap Winston S [&o] and go for an avatar of the dark blue variety? [;)]

AxelNL

Post by AxelNL »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

warspite1

Thank-you sir, and with all this green and grey appearing, can I persuade you to swap Winston S [&o] and go for an avatar of the dark blue variety? [;)]

That is indeed the nicest colour.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: AxelNL

ORIGINAL: warspite1

warspite1

That is indeed the nicest colour.
warspite1

I thought that as I finished writing and saw your's and Centuur's avatar's in the development thread [:)].

Attachments
download.jpg
download.jpg (7.01 KiB) Viewed 308 times

bo

Post by bo »

I have always been a beer and pretzel game player, Panzer Corp, Strategic Command, 3rd Reich, Panzer General, quick fast games not too much thought put into moves [not a dig] I have not played Cod 2 for awhile but I do play World of Tanks with my grandson. War in the Pacific, way to long IMO waiting for the AI to get done. My son gave me War in the East could never really get into the game not knocking it at all just not for me.

I have been watching Matrix since 2005 when I saw the notice of transforming the game from ADG WIF to MWIF, lost sight of it for awhile and then in 2008 I started to check it out again, it seem to take forever and I complained about how long it is taking for completion, and then the AI discussion got going, whew did that get a little nasty. When Steve asked me to join the beta testing team I was kinda shocked because of the way I acted on the posts, but to Steve's credit he put the past where it belonged, in the past.

I downloaded the game and instead of testing I was playing the game [not really the same thing] I have always felt that solo or solitaire is impossible in a war computer game. I tried to explain it to my son the other night about solo play and boy did I get an earfull, he wanted to put me in Byberry near us [ a mental institution] I tried to explain to him how well it played in solo mode, well that fell on deaf ears, and I got cut up good for the rest of the night.

I have posted I never read a rule but could play the game, not bragging [should have read some rules] but I hate reading rules. As I learned the game I was amazed at the complexity of the game and how easy Steve made the complexity work well with his programming coding. I started testing Guadalcanal and at first mistake after mistake in making wrong moves, the naval end of the game was very difficult for me, the sea boxes drove me nuts.

I had the finest and nicest beta testers pull me out of hole after hole until I understood what was going on. And finally it sunk in, this is trully the finest computer war game I have ever played bar none. Carrier planes optional rules and pilot optional rules seemed too deep for me at first and then they became easy to work with and they really make this game hum. Very disappointed in no AI as are many posters here and hopefully Steve can do a decent AI that will satisfy most players.

I feel when the two half maps are put into the game it will enhance the game. [Fascist Tide and Day of Infamy] Most board game players probably prefer Global war, but I feel that Global war can be daunting to a new player, [solo version] The half maps allow you to play either the Pacific War or the European theater independant of each other, I beta test Fascist tide and I really enjoy playing it.

I do hope if some players get a little frustrated with all the decisions they have to make on almost every impulse that they will realize that that is what make this game feel like real war and the decisions military leaders had to make in WW2, one thing about this forum is that there are posters, beta people and Steve will always be here to help you if so needed. Please give the game a chance you will not be sorry.

Bo

Bill

Neilster

Post by Neilster »

You might have to lose the Scottish bit from that Union Jack soon [:'(]

And before you start...I don't care. Not my problem. Talk to a Scotchman [:D]

Cheers, Neilster
Cheers, Neilster
Magpius

Post by Magpius »

a qualiteeee division Agent S SEVEN Victoria Crosses no less

Yes, they punched above their weight, from Desert to Jungle.

aspqrz02

Post by aspqrz02 »

ORIGINAL: Neilster

Cheers, Neilster

ScotsMAN.

SCOTCH is what you drink.

Scots (and ScotsMEN and ScotsWOMEN) are the people who live there.

[;)]

Phil
Author, Space Opera (FGU); RBB #1 (FASA); Road to Armageddon; Farm, Forge and Steam; Orbis Mundi; Displaced (PGD)
----------------------------------------------
Email: aspqrz@tpg.com.au
Neilster

Post by Neilster »

ORIGINAL: aspqrz
ORIGINAL: Neilster

Cheers, Neilster

ScotsMAN.

SCOTCH is what you drink.

Scots (and ScotsMEN and ScotsWOMEN) are the people who live there.

[;)]

Phil
Really? I have a Scottish mate, and I like to call him a Scotchman. He loves it. He just pretends to be angry [:'(]

Cheers, Neilster
Cheers, Neilster

Return to “World in Flames”