Morale recovery clarification

Post bug reports and request support here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

rmonical

Morale recovery clarification

Post by rmonical »

From the v.11 errata:
7. Rule Change (section 9.1.1) – Possible morale gains for a unit being at least 10 hexes from an enemy unit (in refit or not) will now only happen if the unit’s morale is below its national morale, or 50, whichever is lowest. Note it is possible to receive up to 0-2 morale points from this when not in refit mode, and 0-4 points when in refit mode (this has not changed).
completely supersedes
 The unit's morale is below 50, and it is in refit mode.
 The unit's morale is below 50, and it is more than 10 hexes away from the nearest enemy unit.
And a unit never recovers morale if it is within 10 hexes of an enemy unit under these rules.

However, this rule is operative irrespective of where the unit is.
The unit’s morale is below its national morale. In this case it can recover as much as 10% of the national morale but not more than the country's national morale .
And there is a 10% chance this rule will fire for eligible units. So a unit refitting behind the line (or even on the line) still has a small chance of recovering some morale.

I think the new v11 rule is pretty significant. As Soviet, my units get to NM (now 45) and stop. No more high 40s and 50 morale for rifle divisions without successful combat.
Peltonx

RE: Morale recovery clarification

Post by Peltonx »

Morale is of The Battlefield.

Finally morale has been fixed.
Beta Tester WitW & WitE
morvael

Post by morvael »

Numbers are King of the battlefield. CV formula for counters is misleading. The relation of counter CV between a 100 morale unit and 0 morale unit is infinity. In battle it will only be 4:1. What's worse a unit with 90 morale can still fail it's morale rolls and have it's CV halved, while a unit with 10 morale can make it's morale rolls and have it's CV doubled. Of course better unit with better leaders have greater chance for high CV, but it's not guaranteed. 4:1 advantage equalizes any morale difference... Thus, numbers matter most :-)

And I mean element number advantage, not on-counter CV advantage. That explains Soviet advantage in late war when they can put more elements per hex than Axis due to corps combat units.
swkuh

Post by swkuh »

G. B. Shaw said something about God being on the side of the big battalions... and WitE seems to agree. +1
rmonical

Post by rmonical »

I moved some rifle divisions more than 10 hexes from the front and their HQ and moral recovery seems to be fine.
Disgruntled Veteran

Post by Disgruntled Veteran »

ORIGINAL: rmonical

I moved some rifle divisions more than 10 hexes from the front and their HQ and moral recovery seems to be fine.

In my current game I have Rumanian divisions 20 hexes behind the front and have yet to see a single point increase from 35. This is over 3 turns. Just an observation.

Edit: And they are on refit.
2ndACR

Post by 2ndACR »

Rumanian have always sucked when it comes to exp or morale. Early in release I was able to get some good numbers by making sure they stayed stacked with a German div and only took part in sure fire wins. But trying to get them up to a decent level by sitting, never saw it really. If they were not stacked with a German, they only did deliberate attacks that were sure fire wins with massive overkill.

I seem to recall someone got some Rumanians up to the mid to high 60 or 70's. But I cannot remember who it was, how he did it or if they nerfed that in one of the patches. Highest I ever really got non mtn was in the 50's.
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

ORIGINAL: morvael

Numbers are King of the battlefield. CV formula for counters is misleading. The relation of counter CV between a 100 morale unit and 0 morale unit is infinity. In battle it will only be 4:1. What's worse a unit with 90 morale can still fail it's morale rolls and have it's CV halved, while a unit with 10 morale can make it's morale rolls and have it's CV doubled. Of course better unit with better leaders have greater chance for high CV, but it's not guaranteed. 4:1 advantage equalizes any morale difference... Thus, numbers matter most :-)

And I mean element number advantage, not on-counter CV advantage. That explains Soviet advantage in late war when they can put more elements per hex than Axis due to corps combat units.

Yes numbers do matter, but real numbers.

A 90 morale unit is not going to fail a high % of the time like a morale 10 or 50 unit.

Even if it does.

GHC 90+ morale 16 CV units fails 8 CV

SHC 40 morale 2 cv unit does not fail 4 CV

2 to 1 at least. There is more then 1 roll per combat also.

Over the course of the War (212 turns) nothing comes close to the impact of morale on the out come.
Beta Tester WitW & WitE

Return to “Tech Support”