Hofen Ho Down - Axis

Post reports of your great victories and disastrous defeats here to share with other gamers.

Moderators: Arjuna, Panther Paul

Mahatma

Hofen Ho Down - Axis

Post by Mahatma »

I've been away a few month and am now returning for duty. I'm after some advice on how to approach various situations so please do comment. On my person I have the manual and the HTTR strategy guide, so I'm fairly knowledgeable about the mechanics. Do the support companies still do crazy maneuvers? I remember having trouble with them and it was suggested, by Dazkaz (sorry for miss-spelling) I think, to detach the mortars from the battalions and attach them to the regiment HQ. Is this the best idea?

Ok so here is the situation below. 3 x Bn doesn't seem like enough for the task but I'll try. My approach is to concentrate all the force near Monschau on day 1. The 326 Fusilier Company are going to quickly scout west and hide in the trees near Stillbusch farm as a sort of feint that might attract more attention than they deserve. Objective for D1 are to hold Monschau and contest the north Hofen objective, anything more than that is too ambitious imo considering the manpower available.

image hosting
Attachments
HofenHoD..D10600.jpg
HofenHoD..D10600.jpg (937.65 KiB) Viewed 364 times
Have: Socks. Deodorant. £2 gloves. Mince pies.
Want: Line formation banned until I give a specific order to use line formation. Troops that don't take lie-ins until 0800 unless ordered to never rest.
Mahatma

RE: Hofen Ho Down - Axis

Post by Mahatma »

As you can see, a marginal victory, via suicidal pushes into the last remaining victory points in the north west and some luck. I changed the original plan, after updating to 4.5.264, to simply attacking each of the three victory points with 1 BN each, then throwing reinforcements are the problem later.

The AI seemingly refuses to defend objectives sensibly by moving units to the outer rim of the towns, I suppose I'll have to do this manually from now on.

image hosting sites
Have: Socks. Deodorant. £2 gloves. Mince pies.
Want: Line formation banned until I give a specific order to use line formation. Troops that don't take lie-ins until 0800 unless ordered to never rest.
Phoenix100

RE: Hofen Ho Down - Axis

Post by Phoenix100 »

That's certainly where I learned that, Mahatma (in Hofen) - that you have to place town (or any Vic Loc) defenders manually, because the AI doesn't place them far enough out to stop the enemy entering the ViLoc circle, even if you have the footprint set to max. I place them where I want then re-attach and give a defend in situ order to the HQ. Some people place them, give a defend in situ order to the HQ, then reattach them all. I don't think it makes much diff which way you do it. If you do that (defend in situ and reattach) then they will not try to get back to their starting positions when knocked off the perch, but will just defend from their retreat positions, so sometimes, when it's really crucial they fight for every inch of space, it's best to just place them all individually and leave them like that, that way they'll keep having a go at the original position you placed them in.

Return to “After Action Reports”