640k Chromium unfulfilled, 18k in stock. What needs that much?

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

zenkmander

640k Chromium unfulfilled, 18k in stock. What needs that much?

Post by zenkmander »

I've been trying to figure it out and I'm at a loss. Here's some info.

640k unfulfilled in empire
18k in stock in empire
5 sources

*No state ships/bases being produced or retrofitted

*Most spaceports have reserved Chromium in double or triple digit quantities and enough local stock to compensate. One spaceport has 17k reserved and 20k local stock

*I have 1 Large Spaceport and 8 Small Spaceports; 14 colonies total; population ranging from 2700M to 19000M (not sure if that makes a difference)

*Handful of mining stations being retrofitted, but only component that needs Chromium is the Energy Collector, so that's minimal (5 per station)

*No Chromium at all in current private ship designs

*I've had Chromium smuggling missions set several times but haven't received even one shipment

*I have 2 Protectorates, 2 Mutual Defense Pacts, and 5 Free Trade Agreements (if that makes a difference)

*Fortified Bunkers on every colony, plus a few of the research buildings

*10-12 troop units on every colony (in the middle of a war)

Not sure what else is relevant [:)] Any help is appreciated!

EDIT: I also have 7 stations (mix of mining, resort, and research) queued to be built by construction ships, but those ships are reporting a Chromium shortage and can't finish, so they're waiting at the construction site. Just to make sure, freighters will deliver those missing resources to the construction ship right? It's strange that the construction ship wouldn't bring all of the required materials to build..

Icemania

RE: 640k Chromium unfulfilled, 18k in stock. What needs that much?

Post by Icemania »

I completely ignore unfulfilled demand. Managing stock / sources is sufficient for resource management.

Early game to mid-game I ensure construction ships are stocked from my homeworld (i.e. to ensure critical resources such as Chromium are available).

Make sure your Construction ships have enough cargo holds, as the game progresses you'll no doubt have larger bases which require more cargo, leading to unnecessary shortages when building.

It's true that when Construction ships don't have sufficient resources that a freighter will come but they are slow and it usually takes some time.

zenkmander

Post by zenkmander »

Thanks Ice. My construction ships should have plenty of space (8000 storage). I always figured that adding up the resources shown in the bases' design component summary is how much minimum cargo storage you needed on the construction ship, is that not right? Although now that I'm looking at it, it seems that construction ships pick up a set amount of resources, whether or not all of them are needed for that particular job..
Icemania

Post by Icemania »

That should be plenty of space.

Construction ships pick-up what is required for the job (and a little extra) ... if those resources are available at the loading port. Hence the need to ensure they load up at the right places to avoid construction delays.

If you are having resource shortages despite this when building feel free to post screenshots / more information.

Plant

Post by Plant »

One spaceport has 20k local stock and it says you have 18k in stock in empire?
Resource planner is a real puzzle to work out.
zenkmander

Post by zenkmander »

Ha I just realized that! I really hope my save isn't bugged.

Edit: Actually, is it possible that the expansion planner stock already subtracts the Reserved amount from its Stock? But if so, then what would the unfulfilled requests be if they're not reservations? I'm guessing that's too deep in the game to actually see details on [:)]
Plant

Post by Plant »

Perhaps Unfulfilled are not related to Reservations.

Or perhaps Reservations only apply to what the freighters themselves personally demand, and are not In Transit.

Unfulfilled would then be the amounts demanded only by Bases.

This is purely conjecture.
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

Chromium also tends to be one of the more rare resource types, especially since you do need quite a bit of it.
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
sbach2o

Post by sbach2o »

ORIGINAL: zenkmander

Edit: Actually, is it possible that the expansion planner stock already subtracts the Reserved amount from its Stock? But if so, then what would the unfulfilled requests be if they're not reservations? I'm guessing that's too deep in the game to actually see details on [:)]

Most likely a bug in the game's accounting. I had some phenomenon like this in DW Legends. Some huge deficit in Steel (Chromium probably too) which grew and grew, and I couldn't figure out where all that demand resided. Vexingly, such overshooting demand seems to push resource prices up.

At the time I was still building a Space Port over every colony, maybe it had to do with that?

Oberst_Klink

Post by Oberst_Klink »

ORIGINAL: sbach2o

ORIGINAL: zenkmander

Most likely a bug in the game's accounting. I had some phenomenon like this in DW Legends. Some huge deficit in Steel (Chromium probably too) which grew and grew, and I couldn't figure out where all that demand resided. Vexingly, such overshooting demand seems to push resource prices up.

At the time I was still building a Space Port over every colony, maybe it had to do with that?

I had the mentioned issues as well; to be precise they always somehow exists, but... it's the inability of the private sector to divert the merchants and freighters to the places where resources, even though plenty in stock, are needed. I tend to ignore it, more or less.

Klink, Oberst
My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.
Plant

Post by Plant »

It you both received such a bug, perhaps you can post the bug to tech support?

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”