Hell On Earth - Day 3

Post reports of your great victories and disastrous defeats here to share with other gamers.

Moderators: Arjuna, Panther Paul

Perturabo

Hell On Earth - Day 3

Post by Perturabo »

I give attack orders at midnight, hoping that they divisions will manage to start their attacks at dawn.

First contact with the enemy.

Amount of enemy units in this sector has increased to two infantry battalions.
Further battalions are trying to get through but are being held up by the single company
that was sent to probe yesterday.
It's making a good use of on-call divisional artillery.

At 5:02 one of army artillery regiments is ordered to fire a 5 hour slow barrage at the usual place
near Sevenig. It seems that the enemy main effort is going at Ouren and Lieler. Therefore I have
decided to not fire at the road from Leidenoom to Lutzkampen in order to avoid repeating the
situation from yesterday where the artillery has ran out of ammo.
The army artillery units will continue to fire at that location, one regiment at time.

Corps artillery regiments are ordered to break up the enemy forces trying to cross bridges near
with a half-an-hour high rate of fire barrage.

Situation in the morning. Oh look!

Oh, hello, sweetie. Do you know my corps artillery regiment?

After about 30 minutes the artillery battalion has started retreating with 3 guns lost.
It was subjected to further fires while retreating and ended up losing 66% of its guns.

About two hours later, an enemy divisional base battalion was subjected to a similar treatment.

I get annoyed at the concentration of enemies in vicinity of Sevenig and borrow divisional
artillery from 3 defending divisions. Together with one corpse artillery, I fire a hour long high
rate of fire barrage.

During that fire hundreds of shells are fired by each participating battalion,
using up most of their ammunition.
The enemy units end up decimated, several of them retreating towards Roscheid.

I order a defending division to attack in the gap between two attacking divisions
in order to prevent the enemy units from concentrating against the attacking division
north of it.

A division bunkering down due to lack of time again. *sigh*
I order it to attack again, this time giving it two days to complete the task.

About an hour later, an artillery battalion with only two guns left was spotted north of Sevenig.

It seems that I missed that unit bunkering down. It was supposed to attack towards Ouren.
I give it proper orders.

Another division bunkering down. Ordered it to attack again.
Note how the single company is still holding back two or more enemy battalions after over 16 hours.

I order a massed shelling of the triangle near Sevenig once again.
Such a delightful slaughter! Such joyous depravity! A massacre most glorious!

The location of blocking barrage is shifted to the track from Sevenig to Ouren.
A "heavy flak battalion" with 4 guns is spotted. I think it's a misidentified
artillery battalion. After a 20 minute bombardment it's left without guns.

Several minutes later a 30 minute rapid fire barrage by divisional artillery regiment
is unleashed against several units concentrating near Sevenig.

Delightful carnage. 4 enemy units destroyed by the hail of shells.

Situation after the darkness falls. The divisions made very little progress.
The southernmost division has spent the whole day crossing the river and still haven't crossed whole.

Attacking infantry units clash on the track from Lieler to Ouren.

Final situation.

Destroyed enemy units. Meanwhile not a single of my units was destroyed so far.

Kill
Score
11,2/50,6
It suggests that enemy losses are around 14100 and that todays losses
were around 9700. That would be a whole division lost today.

My losses so far:

Day 1.
Personnel 181
AFVs 0
Non-AFVs 81
Guns 0

Day 2.
Personnel 978
AFVs 0
Non-AFVs 103
Guns 9

Day 3.
Personnel 1342
AFVs 0
Non-AFVs 162
Guns 11

The sum of my personnel losses is 2501 men, which is about 1/5 of the estimated enemy losses.

The enemy artillery seems to be severely underused - fired only sporadically and in inadequate
concentration. The enemy has 10 artillery regiments - 168 heavy guns and 312 medium guns.
It's a massive firepower that is mostly unused.

Comments plz?
BletchleyGeek

RE: Hell On Earth - Day 3

Post by BletchleyGeek »

I'm not sure if I'm following the narrative [:)], but man, this scenario is quite a stress test for the engine.

I see you're running it on Wine, and I'm curious about:

a) What's the CPU usage profile
b) What's the memory usage profile
c) What's the ratio between user and system time
d) Is the interface responsive?
e) What's the speed for resolution? Normal, Fast or Fastest? Does the game behave weirdly at the Fastest Speed?
f) Even with the performance hit due to redirecting all system and Windows API calls through Wine stubs, do you feel the game is playable?

a), b) and c) are things which are very hard to measure accurately on Windows, on Linux it should be much easier. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the stock scenarios work significantly better on Ubuntu 13.04 or 13.10 than on Windows XP, Vista or 7.

If you're in for a laugh, I would ask to perform the following experiment: change the grid size of the map to 50m and 25m, and report how the points above change [:)]
Perturabo

Post by Perturabo »

ORIGINAL: Bletchley_Geek

I'm not sure if I'm following the narrative [:)], but man, this scenario is quite a stress test for the engine.

I see you're running it on Wine, and I'm curious about:

a) What's the CPU usage profile
49-52%

b) What's the memory usage profile
206-207mb

User and system time?

d) Is the interface responsive?
Yes. There's only a ~half-a-second delay when selecting units.

e) What's the speed for resolution? Normal, Fast or Fastest? Does the game behave weirdly at the Fastest Speed?
20 second per minute in Normal, 5 seconds per minute in Fast, 4 seconds per minute in the Fastest setting.

f) Even with the performance hit due to redirecting all system and Windows API calls through Wine stubs, do you feel the game is playable?
Performance hit on new games is usually relatively mild or non-existent. Games that are affected are usually older 2D games like Fallout.

If you're in for a laugh, I would ask to perform the following experiment: change the grid size of the map to 50m and 25m, and report how the points above change [:)]
How does one do it?
Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

What are the specs for your system?

What sort of game speed do you get for a scenario such as Battle for the Roadblocks in BFTB? I ie. how much game time do you get per minute of real time. And then how does this compare with you mega scenario above?
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
Perturabo

Post by Perturabo »

ORIGINAL: Arjuna

What are the specs for your system?
Pentium 2,9GHz dual core, 4GB ram, GT610 2GB ram, Linux Mint XFCE 15.

What sort of game speed do you get for a scenario such as Battle for the Roadblocks in BFTB? I ie. how much game time do you get per minute of real time. And then how does this compare with you mega scenario above?
7 seconds per minute in normal, 1,2 second per minute in fast and 0,33 seconds per minute in fastests.
Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

Can you please confirm the speed format you are using. Does "7 seconds per minute" mean 7 seconds of real time per game minute or does it mean 7 seconds of game time per real minute?
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
BletchleyGeek

Post by BletchleyGeek »

ORIGINAL: Perturabo
User and system time?

Generally speaking user time is the time that the program spends doing its own thing, system time is the time the program is idle waiting for a system call to return (such as the ones you do when opening files, or allocating virtual memory). You can measure those by issuing the command

$ time <program>

you'll see it breaks down the time into those two categories.

For a detailed - yet clear and readable - explanation, check out this one

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7335 ... ime-in-uni
ORIGINAL: Perturabo

How does one do it?

On the MapMaker, you can change the level of detail of the Movement Tables.
Perturabo

Post by Perturabo »

Can you please confirm the speed format you are using. Does "7 seconds per minute" mean 7 seconds of real time per game minute or does it mean 7 seconds of game time per real minute?
7 seconds of real time[:D].
Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

OK so at the fastest speed running your big scenario it takes you 4 minutes of real time to run through an hour of game time. For me personally I would find that slow. I aim for 1-2 minutes of real time to run through one hour of game time. Interesting. Thanks for the info. [:)]
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
skarp

Post by skarp »

Perturabo - This looks great. I love the big battles. Is this a custom scenario? I've not found it in the BftB pack. I've also searched the forum and not found it. If it's available to download please let me know; I'd love to give it a go. Thanks. :)
Perturabo

Post by Perturabo »

OK so at the fastest speed running your big scenario it takes you 4 minutes of real time to run through an hour of game time. For me personally I would find that slow. I aim for 1-2 minutes of real time to run through one hour of game time. Interesting. Thanks for the info. [:)]
What do you think about the discrepancy in losses and use of artillery?
ORIGINAL: skarp

Perturabo - This looks great. I love the big battles. Is this a custom scenario? I've not found it in the BftB pack. I've also searched the forum and not found it. If it's available to download please let me know; I'd love to give it a go. Thanks. :)
It's a custom scenario. It's unfinished, it doesn't have a briefing, unit names and other polish. I can upload it to mediafire if you want.
skarp

Post by skarp »

It's a custom scenario. It's unfinished, it doesn't have a briefing, unit names and other polish. I can upload it to mediafire if you want.

hi Perturabo
Please if you will. [:)]

I'll play it sometime over the next week and let you know what I think.

Return to “After Action Reports”