Die rolls

A sub-forum for players new to WIF, containing information on how to get started and become an experienced player.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

FJeff

Die rolls

Post by FJeff »

Are die rolls not random and set by the program? I get die roll forms that let me enter my own number.
And it's one, two, three,
What are we fightin' for?
jhdeerslayer

RE: Die rolls

Post by jhdeerslayer »

There is a screen somewhere (sorry can't recall where) that has a check box that allows you to enter in your own die roll or not. Seems you have the box checked. It defaults to unchecked so somehow it got checked.
FJeff

Post by FJeff »

I guess that's a good learning tool. Is it an optional rule?
Dr. Foo

Post by Dr. Foo »

ORIGINAL: FJeff

I guess that's a good learning tool. Is it an optional rule?

On the main form there is Interface click that and make sure Set Die Roll is unchecked.
*Warning: Dr. Foo is not an actual doctor.
Do not accept or follow any medical advice*
FJeff

Post by FJeff »

Thanks. To be clear for others, Set Die Roll, the default for quick start Barbarossa, means that the player can set it, not that it's set.
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

You also might want to check out this thread

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3415372
EisenHammer

Post by EisenHammer »

I am glad they have this in the game. Sometimes I don't trust the random number generator so I like to roll my own die and put the results in.
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

ORIGINAL: EisenHammer

I am glad they have this in the game. Sometimes I don't trust the random number generator so I like to roll my own die and put the results in.
Oh, I agree.[8D] After going to all that trouble of weighting your dice, you should use them at every opportunity.[;)]

EDIT: The program uses a double random number generator, a trick I learned from the PhD statistician I worked with in the early 1970's (when pseudo-random number generators used very few bits). The program throws away the first 1000 random numbers from both generators (A and B). Then it uses A to fill a table that is 100 rows by 100 columns with random numbers. That's 10,000 random numbers. When the simulator requests a random number, B is used to determine row and column numbers and returns the stored number from that cell for use by the simulator. A then provides a replacement number for the cell. So, A generates the numbers, but B determines the order in which the cells are used. This system randomizes the random numbers.
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
brian brian

Post by brian brian »

Ahh, but are A & B that special white color with the blazing red numerals for when the Emperor really, really, really needs success in this one critical attack that will turn the war around all by itself? BANZAI!

Or that special tan color one you can use when the Australian troops go into battle, because it is the one die that came in the box all the way from Australia originally? Wot, there's only one of those? Well, we'll roll it twice then.
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

ORIGINAL: brian brian

Ahh, but are A & B that special white color with the blazing red numerals for when the Emperor really, really, really needs success in this one critical attack that will turn the war around all by itself? BANZAI!

Or that special tan color one you can use when the Australian troops go into battle, because it is the one die that came in the box all the way from Australia originally? Wot, there's only one of those? Well, we'll roll it twice then.
Well, I have a collection of about 50 small 6 sided dice. We use to roll them on the glass covering the paper maps. They would bounce delightfully. And I do have multiple colors, thought primarily white. Each player was permitted to remove several dice from those being used, to prevent his opponent from rolling too many 1's (or 6's).[:D]
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
EisenHammer

Post by EisenHammer »

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets
ORIGINAL: EisenHammer

Oh, I agree.[8D] After going to all that trouble of weighting your dice, you should use them at every opportunity.[;)]
That’s right, and a good thing about solitaire is if I think the die roll was BS I can always roll again and see just how lucky my lucky dice are. Yaaaa... look... I win.
Mike Parker

Post by Mike Parker »

Rolling dice such memories! I used to play Wif with a guy that kept dice in old olive jars. You shook the jar which had the lid on tightly and slapped it on the table. It kept counters from being die roll modified :) and felt kinda good too!

Return to “WIF School”