Custom User Data

Post new mods and scenarios here.

Moderator: MOD_Flashpoint

mb4329

Custom User Data

Post by mb4329 »

Enjoying the game and had some questions.

I have been looking through the user data and had a question concerning the weapon platforms themselves. Curious if the armor values (front/flank protection) of the platforms as well as the ERA adjustments are accessible/modable?

Also had a question on visibility and weather values. Are the values for either adjustable from what is listed in the user manual?

BTW, I like the thermal inversion touch for TIS you guys obviously did your homework.

Thanks,
Merrick
CapnDarwin

RE: Custom User Data

Post by CapnDarwin »

Merrick,

Good to see you back here on the dark side of war-gaming. [:D]

In the data the armor value is a single number called Protection Factor (PF), it is a weighted average of the units frontal armor values. Roughly 1 PF per 15mm of standard armor protection. The flank, top, rear numbers are calculated in the game engine based on a model that looked at rating of 50+ tanks and is pretty close to dead on for a 15mm window. ERA and Advanced Composite armors are factored in and denoted by ERA and ACA "specials" The 1 to 4 being increasing levels of protection and capability.

Weather setting and ranges are hard set right now. We do have plans to enhance the entire weather model including adding in some scripting so the scenario designer can "control" the weather and we can also post weather reports for battles including updates during the fight.

Yep, thermal inversion (after reading a 80+ page FM on weather and equipment) and other weather related effects to other weapons like IR, Optical and Radar are also in the engine. These will also see more enhancement when we upgrade the weather model.

If you have any other questions let us know.
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC
mb4329

Post by mb4329 »

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the speedy reply and it is good to be back [:)]

Protection factor makes sense. I like the keep it simple approach. Complexity for the sake of complexity often becomes a rabbit hole people go down never to be seen again. At first glance I think you all did a good job of finding that balance between complexity and playability.

Ahh the joys of FMs I have been bogged down in the ADP (Army Doctrine Publication) series. I'd say good stuff, but I would be lying [;)]

Looking forward to the updates. If you need any help proofing documents etc let me know.

Merrick
WABAC

Post by WABAC »

ORIGINAL: CapnDarwin
In the data the armor value is a single number called Protection Factor (PF), it is a weighted average of the units frontal armor values. Roughly 1 PF per 15mm of standard armor protection. The flank, top, rear numbers are calculated in the game engine based on a model that looked at rating of 50+ tanks and is pretty close to dead on for a 15mm window.

I am building the heavy M103 tank from ye olden days, and having problems with this formula. The front hull is rated at 127mm, which would yield a PF of 8.46.

So I looked at the M60A1 from the standard user file, which has 107mm of frontal armor, and it has a PF of 18. Line of site armor rating for the M60A1 is 17.2, which gets us closer to 18. Using the turret front would also get closer to the mark depending on the model, as there were three different thicknesses.

I'ld rather you be putting most of your energy into the new game, but if you, or anyone else has a quick answer, I would much appreciate it.
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

Looked at some of my data and I have a PF (Base 15mm) of 15 for the M103 and M103A1. Hope that helps.

I was looking at the new Base 10mm data for the M103. It also looks like the Red Storm data was based on highest value turret front versus hull front and then we talked about a 70/30 weighting turret to hull. [8D] For RS using an average for turret front (larger areas like the mantle and ignoring small hotspots) is the best way to go. Within a point (+/-15mm) makes for a good approximation. We have other formulas internally to deal with flank, top, and rear based on curves of many tanks.

Sorry for the confusion.
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”