resort base empty

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

buncheesy

resort base empty

Post by buncheesy »

I am playing Lemeresh (from extended mod - smart isolationists) on close to default settings shadows start just past the initial expansion phase.

I built a resort base in my homeworld system on a massive scenery bonus and it has never had any tourists. It does have 10 passenger compartments.

The only things I can think of are:
[ol]I also have a mining base there but that shouldn't matter?
Because I have no treaties and other nations are far away foreign tourists aren't coming
it too early in the game - I have 8 colonies and maybe 7-9 billion citizens.[/ol]

This is only my second game. Built a resort base in last game and although it took a while trousts came from a neighbouring race.

Money is always an issue and I am contemplating scrapping this useless base (or remove the mining base an see what happens?)

ideas?

Osito

RE: resort base empty

Post by Osito »

I made a post on a similar subject a few months ago. It was an earlier build, but some of the replies may be useful.

tm.asp?m=3340484

Osito
Osito
Novaliz

Post by Novaliz »

I have the problem that resort bases dont have fuel and energy :/

Here the design of the bases:

Attachments
resort.jpg
resort.jpg (847.11 KiB) Viewed 139 times
VorteeX

Post by VorteeX »

Omg, Novaliz your resort base have no living space for inhabitants (passangers), only for maintnace crew. :)
And add energy collector, if energy collection value are higher then static energy usage, base no need fuel then.
sbach2o

Post by sbach2o »

ORIGINAL: letmein

The only things I can think of are:
[ol]I also have a mining base there but that shouldn't matter?
Because I have no treaties and other nations are far away foreign tourists aren't coming
it too early in the game - I have 8 colonies and maybe 7-9 billion citizens.[/ol]

[...]

ideas?

Resort bases should work alongside mining stations at the same planet without problem. However, I probably never tried his out myself because I usually do combine the mining equipment into the resort base itself. Such a base is then used just as any normal mining station as a source for resources (i.e. not much, but it'll do).

You do not need any treaties with neighbors for your resorts to be effective. Treaties may help to get foreign customers or not, but it shouldn't matter because the most steady stream of tourists should come from your own empire, anyway (unless you are behind in power).

You cannot count on a resort being used well. What may play a role in resort usage (from my observations):
* Passenger transports prefer to ship around migrants. If you have few transports and a number of low population colonies, only a tiny fraction of your passenger transports will ship tourists instead of migrants. And a tiny fraction of few may come out as nothing for extended periods of time. (*)
* Make sure to check your empire policy regarding tourism. I set tourism priority to very high. I do not know whether it actually does anything, but I hope it does. I do not know why the option exists, and seems to default to anything lower than very high, but I do not know many things about this game.
* The higher the scenery bonus, the better. Below 30 (typical for ancient ruins sites which are sort of okay for resorts, except for their low value) is pretty bad. You should aim for bonuses above 50 (black holes, some asteroids), which are visited much better.
* Sites with low scenery bonus are still used well, when your passenger transports have nothing better to do, i.e. there are no targets at all for migrants and no better sites for tourism. This is typical for a pre-warp game when you build a resort in your home system early. Or when you take your time expanding out and get up some resorts before.
* If you have made contact with other empires, and they have better resorts than you, your tourists may go there. I do not know whether this is influenced by treaties at all.
* Low value sites may even later occasionally receive a shipment of tourists, but this is rare. Still, it might be worthwhile to combine the resort role into a base which you'd build anyway for other reasons. So you build a mining station, but label it as a Resort Base and add some passenger compartments and the medical and recreational facilities for a modest increase in maintenance.
* You can even build resort bases over inhabited planets with ancient ruins or scenery bonus. They receive tourists rarely, but it happens. It may happen more often when a planet combines ruins with a scenery bonus, but I am not sure (may be a statistical fluke in the case where I think it is the case).

All things told, tourism seems to be nerfed into insignificance in the current version of the game. It may pay for itself plus some slight bonus, if you combine resorts with other functions like mining or defensive bases a lot. Otherwise pick only high scenery bonus sites to have the outlook on making a slight profit.

(*) There is a bug or severe design flaw in the game that I noticed, and this bug can severely reduce the number of available passenger transports:
If you have any planets with a population policy of 'resettle', this may tie up lots of your transports. It gets ridiculous when the population of the race to resettle drops below one million colonists on the planet. In such an instance, there will still come lots of passenger transports which do not pick up any colonists (until the population grows up back above one million), then go empty to the target planet of the resettle. In a situation where I had just a bit more than one hundred transports, one single planet where I missed a standing 'resettle' policy managed to tie up one or two dozen transports in transporting nothing!
buncheesy

Post by buncheesy »

(*) There is a bug or severe design flaw in the game that I noticed, and this bug can severely reduce the number of available passenger transports:
If you have any planets with a population policy of 'resettle', this may tie up lots of your transports. It gets ridiculous when the population of the race to resettle drops below one million colonists on the planet. In such an instance, there will still come lots of passenger transports which do not pick up any colonists (until the population grows up back above one million), then go empty to the target planet of the resettle. In a situation where I had just a bit more than one hundred transports, one single planet where I missed a standing 'resettle' policy managed to tie up one or two dozen transports in transporting nothing!

Ah!

as I hate everybody else I have 2 planets with resettle the Indiginies to somwhere else.
buncheesy

Post by buncheesy »

Thanks also Osito.

will think about removing the base for now...but I have the Grand Bazaar in the bag so maybe keep for a while longer?
Novaliz

Post by Novaliz »

ORIGINAL: VorteeX

Omg, Novaliz your resort base have no living space for inhabitants (passangers), only for maintnace crew. :)
And add energy collector, if energy collection value are higher then static energy usage, base no need fuel then.

they dont have to live. just to work :p thank you! :) I am still a noob but getting better any game i am playing.
Plant

Post by Plant »

Resort bases are super buggy. I think there is a case where the resort base was earning money, but none of the money earned was displayed, except for around the end/start of the year.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”