Loads of Content..

This exciting new release is a faithful adaptation of the renowned Conflict of Heroes board game that won the Origins Historical Game of the Year, Charles Roberts Wargame of the Year and the James F. Dunnigan Design Elegance Award, as well as many others!

Designed and developed in cooperation with Uwe Eickert, the original designer of Conflict of Heroes, and Western Civlization Software, the award-winning computer wargame studio, no effort has been spared to bring the outstanding Conflict of Heroes gameplay to the computer. Conflict of Heroes includes an AI opponent as well as full multiplayer support with an integrated forum and game lobby. To remain true to the core gameplay of the board game, the PC version is designed to be fun, fast and easy to play, though hard to master. The game design is also historically accurate and teaches and rewards platoon and company-level combined arms tactics without overwhelming the player with rules.

Moderator: MOD_WestCiv

wodin

Loads of Content..

Post by wodin »

It seems the new game SoS has lots more content rules and unit wise etc compared to the first game and Ghost Division expansion put together. Now I have to work out whether all that extra content will make the difference from me being non plussed about the game to really enjoying it. If I really enjoy it then it's suddenly no longer a regret purchase or..if I feel the same way I've just thrown another near £20 away.

50! new units and rules and terrain is so tempting. DO all the scenarios come with boardgame maps?

PKH

RE: Loads of Content..

Post by PKH »

There are 15 missions as far as I can see + the old scenarios (not sure if the new equipment is available in these). I was expecting there to be a campaign frankly, since they talked about adding support for that before. Anyway, it's a cool game and I enjoy it so far.
jack54

Post by jack54 »

ORIGINAL: wodin

If I really enjoy it then it's suddenly no longer a regret purchase or..if I feel the same way I've just thrown another near £20 away.

50! new units and rules and terrain is so tempting. DO all the scenarios come with boardgame maps?

If I were you I would play the original for a while longer and try to decide if the difference between a Tiger or PzII makes it better. Adding Airpower seems great but may further add to the abstraction that you weren't happy with in the original.

I really like this system so the new game is a 'must' for me.

With so many quality games recently released I am going by what I will 'actually play'... there are many I want but know I'll never get around to them. Just my opinion! Good Luck either way
Avatar: Me borrowing Albert Ball's Nieuport 17

Counter from Bloody April by Terry Simo (GMT)
tgb

Post by tgb »

How many scenarios is Ghost Division?
Frido1207

Post by Frido1207 »

tgb

Post by tgb »

Ghost Divisions sells for $15, contains two campaigns made up of 10 new scenarios, so you are paying $1.50 each. Storms of Steel contains 15 new scenarios, plus the original game. So for $30 you get a bunch of stuff you already have, and 15 scenarios at $2 each. I still say it's a crummy deal for people who own the base game. Matrix is forcing you to repurchase what you already own.
Gerry4321

Post by Gerry4321 »

I think some of the price takes into account the 50 new units and new rules. It is much more than scenarios.

Gerry
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

ORIGINAL: tgb
Ghost Divisions sells for $15, contains two campaigns made up of 10 new scenarios, so you are paying $1.50 each. Storms of Steel contains 15 new scenarios, plus the original game. So for $30 you get a bunch of stuff you already have, and 15 scenarios at $2 each. I still say it's a crummy deal for people who own the base game. Matrix is forcing you to repurchase what you already own.

No need to post this twice. I replied to your multiple posts on this in the other thread. Storms of Steel brings the second board game in the series to the computer. It's not just new scenarios, but many new units from the next two years of the war (it is set in 1943 whereas ATB and GD are set in 1941) and other improvements as well. It's a full stand-alone release and also a new entry point to the series for new players. It can also be installed for convenience as an expansion to ATB but it is not a DLC or pure expansion.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Hi Wodin,

It seems the new game SoS has lots more content rules and unit wise etc compared to the first game and Ghost Division expansion put together. Now I have to work out whether all that extra content will make the difference from me being non plussed about the game to really enjoying it. If I really enjoy it then it's suddenly no longer a regret purchase or..if I feel the same way I've just thrown another near £20 away.

The question I would have is do you prefer the mid-war on the Eastern Front to the early war? Using some of the mid-war units can be a lot of fun and the new Kursk scenarios are quite interesting, but if your issue is the game itself then it probably won't make a difference. If having a wider variety of units and scenarios with mid-war tanks and such is what you're looking for, then it might.

Your best bet if money is tight is probably to play ATB and GD a bit more and see how you feel. The upgrade coupon based on your ATB serial number will work for the next year. Especially playing multiplayer can be a great experience in COH, it shines IMHO as a multiplayer game with either the board game or computer activation rules.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

By the way, yes they do though they are high resolution but not "giant sized". We used the highest resolution that Academy Games had. For ATB, they had the "giant sized" resolution from their 2nd Edition release but the original Storms of Steel board game maps are high resolution but not that high. You can see how they look in the screenshots, but all the Storms of Steel scenarios have them, based on the original board game.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.
PKH

Post by PKH »

Are there any plans for additional content for this release, like 'point buy' scenarios or campaigns ?
awbergs

Post by awbergs »

So I understand, because the product page doesn't read the same way to me (maybe I have selective-reading), does Storms of Steel include all the original scenarios from Awakening the Bear? That's the gist I'm getting from this thread. Thanks!
Dorb

Post by Dorb »

Nope, they are different time periods.
I am more afraid of an army of 100 sheep led by a lion than an army of 100 lions led by a sheep.
… Charles Maurice de Talleyrand-Perigord
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

However, when you open the scenario editor, owners of AtB and GD get a separate list of all the SoS units, too. So you can use PzIIf and Panthers in the same scenario via the editor or xml modding. Thanks for this flexibility [:)]
demyansk

Post by demyansk »

If you purchase the new game but don't have ghosts do you need to delete anything or does it just overwrite the original game?

I have the original game - what is the best method to purchase now?

Thanks
PKH

Post by PKH »

It's installed in a separate folder from AtB. I don't think you need to do anything special to install it.
I reinstalled AtB after SoS, and although my SoS desktop shortcut was overwritten and I had to make a new, I haven't had any other issues, except the game crashing fairly frequently in scenarios.

I also wouldn't say this release has loads of content, especially compared to AtB. Unless you make or download scenarios it's just 15 new scenarios. What's there is good, but it's significantly less than AtB.
DoubleDeuce

Post by DoubleDeuce »

Question for my own clarity on this comment "It can also be installed for convenience as an expansion to ATB but it is not a DLC or pure expansion.". Does that mean all content (installed as an expansion) is accessible via the Editor for building scenarios? I.E. I can build a scenario involving units from both games and use the maps interchangeably?
PKH

Post by PKH »

I have them in separate folders, and units from both show up in the scenario editor in their own list.

Return to “Conflict of Heroes Series”