CK2: Sons of Abraham DLC

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

decaro

CK2: Sons of Abraham DLC

Post by decaro »

Heres' the promo for this new Crusader Kings release:

http://www.gameindustry.com/ih/item.asp?id=5159

It looks interesting, but does anyone really know anything about it, i.e., what is DLC, and what does Paradox have to do with Steam?

Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.[center]Image[/center]
[center]"The Angel of Okinawa"[/center]
Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II
Terminus

RE: CK2: Sons of Abraham DLC

Post by Terminus »

You don't know what DLC is?
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Joe D.

Heres' the promo for this new Crusader Kings release:

http://www.gameindustry.com/ih/item.asp?id=5159

It looks interesting, but does anyone really know anything about it, i.e., what is DLC, and what does Paradox have to do with Steam?

warspite1

There you go.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Downloadable_content
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
decaro

Post by decaro »

Tnx, SoA is an expansion pack -- via digital download -- for the main CK2 game.
Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.[center]Image[/center]
[center]"The Angel of Okinawa"[/center]
Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II
Boomer78

Post by Boomer78 »

Paradox just issued a press release. CK2 will not only be the last Paradox game released on a platform other than Steam, they are now (as of the 2.0 patch) no longer supporting the Gamersgate non-steam version. The 2.0 patch will be the last one released for the GG version.

Yeah, Paradox is firmly in the Steam camp now... the last few holdouts are crumbling. Soon you won't be able to even get a big mac from Mcdonalds without logging into Steam first.

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?736049-Crusader-Kings-II-Steam-and-GG-Versions-The-Future

"Fly, god dammit it fly! God damn cheap Japanese flying packs!"
Alchenar

Post by Alchenar »

Paradox have mentioned before that the proportion of people who bought through gamersgate was something like 1-5%. They're not leading customers, they're following them.
Boomer78

Post by Boomer78 »

Well, Steam certainly has the numbers on its side.

But you know what, so does EA, Walmart, and Microsoft.

Sometimes when you lose, you really win. And sometimes when you win, you really lose.

Zorch

Post by Zorch »

ORIGINAL: Boomer78

Sometimes when you lose, you really win. And sometimes when you win, you really lose.

Funny, that's what my boss said after my annual review.
Boomer78

Post by Boomer78 »

Oh no, stuffy office managers are quoting me! How I loathe the comparison. LOL

Apparently, a fan asked Paradox on Reddit about bringing older Paradox games to non-DRM distributors like GOG. The answer from Paradox was that we MIGHT see wider options as far as distribution in the future. Of course one of the answers from Paradox was also, 'Steamworks FTW.' So we definitely know where their bread is buttered, but at least they're considering future platforms. Of course, for all we know that could just mean SteamOS for the dreaded coming Steam-PC/console-in-a-box.
Alchenar

Post by Alchenar »

Yeah it really sucks when a supplier gets an effective monopoly on a certain industry, right?
Zorch

Post by Zorch »

ORIGINAL: Alchenar

Yeah it really sucks when a supplier gets an effective monopoly on a certain industry, right?

With any luck, someone like Microsoft will buy Valve/Steam and really ruin them :-)
Boomer78

Post by Boomer78 »

Well, for the Steam fanboys that claim Steam will be here forever, there is always the good argument of GFWL. Microsoft's online behemoth certainly blew away like dust in the wind. And now thousands of gamers are left with no cloud saves, no MP support, and even in some cases, games that won't run.

But yeah, Steam will be here forever... along with the cockroaches. Sure. Offline mode. Sure. Gabe will be our savior. Sure.

When you bet the farm, keep the risk of grasshoppers and droughts in mind.
wings7

Post by wings7 »

ORIGINAL: Terminus

You don't know what DLC is?

Terminus, with all the acronyms in the gaming world it is hard to remember them all. [&:] Another reason this great General Discussion is so helpful, to answer questions for everybody. [:)]

Patrick
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
e_barkmann

Post by e_barkmann »

Personally I really like Steam, it's easy to use, updates without complaint and is a stable platform. Games on sale for five bucks? Winner!

Where people are worried about playing their digital games in the future, I think the real issue will not be about Steam disappearing at some point and you losing access - it will be more about trying to run all your currently precious games on new OS in the future. We are already seeing difficulties running 2-3 year old games on Win8 - fast forward 5 years... emulators/reliance on old hardware..bigger problems. fwiw

cheers
Scourge of War multiplayer group

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/sowwaterloo
wings7

Post by wings7 »

ORIGINAL: Chris Merchant

Personally I really like Steam, it's easy to use, updates without complaint and is a stable platform. Games on sale for five bucks? Winner!

Where people are worried about playing their digital games in the future, I think the real issue will not be about Steam disappearing at some point and you losing access - it will be more about trying to run all your currently precious games on new OS in the future. We are already seeing difficulties running 2-3 year old games on Win8 - fast forward 5 years... emulators/reliance on old hardware..bigger problems. fwiw

cheers

Chris, you have some good points on the future OS's. It's up to us PC gamers to let Microsoft (and others) know to continue to make their OS's backwards compatible, the problem is everyone say's it a good idea but they figure someone else will let them know. So once a week we need to let them know (tweets, e-mail, etc.) to make their OS's backwards compatible so we can enjoy our older games for a long, long time! Happy Gaming!

Patrick
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
Boomer78

Post by Boomer78 »

With retro engineering software like DosBox and other emulators, I'm not too worried. It's when the cloud goes all... cloudy and rainy that makes me worry. What if Steam gets massively hacked? What if their much promised offline mode isn't so offline after all? What if the network code gets compromised? What if Steam gets bought out and the purchaser decides to take the company (and its code, software and resources) into new and very different directions? What if Steam themselves just decide in a few years that the API, overhead, company logos, whatever are outdated and need a new infusion of blood and innovation? Tons of questions, hardly any answers.

Just seems to me that true innovation is being hijacked by a very small group of increasingly narrow focused and obtuse companies with an eye towards profit for profits' sake, rather than dynamic creation, costumer support, and market building. And if computer engineering has taught us anything, it is that nothing is forever. 5 quick years and we could see the rebirth of the floppy drive, or the death of USB. We could see the cloud triumph over local storage, or we could see people powering their entire home with a tiny solar inverter/capacitor. The future is always cloudy... thus the cloud has certainly earned its mysterious name.

But again, when it comes to stepping away from co-dependence on networks/aging systems, the best solution is to have backups, and backups for your backups. CD drives, thumb drives, multiple installs, UPS, the works... all go to having at least a small advantage against power outages, market changes, giant sea monsters, alien invasions, etc etc.

A few more comments like this and we will have totally derailed the thread. So yeah, Paradox DLC... what'cha think? LOL

Return to “General Discussion”