Introducing Myself

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

el lobo

RE: Introducing Myself

Post by el lobo »

Hi Everyone,

Wow, great response!

Thanks each and everyone for the help to plot Rio's demise.

I am late to this thread for two reasons. Every time I read through the thread I find more stuff and I'm off to do more research. Second, I have been spending most of my limited free time reading Cribtop vs. Cuttlefish. What a great read. If I can play half as well as Cribtop, Rio, you are in deep doo doo.

There are so many outstanding aars out there. I started with Bullwinkle vs. 1EyedJacks and that is where someone mentioned that Criptop (J) was doing well against Cuttlefish (A) so I jumped there next. Thanks for all of the recommendations for aars here. I will get to everyone of them.

I have been doing most of my research on scenarios and I recommend we start with Scenario 2 because Rio has been doing a lot of sand-boxing with that one and I'm not sure he wants to throw another factor into his learning curve by introducing a Mod. The big reason for me not doing a Mod is that I can not download one at this time. I currently have slow dial-up speed (not redundant where I live) and it just won't handle the downloads. I will have faster speeds after the first of the year but until then, we both have Scenario 2 loaded and we need to settle on one scenario or another so we can each plan strategy. I would like to play the Reluctant Admiral Mod some day and Scenario 30 would be good for me too as I know Rio would like to come at me with a 200 ship armada in 1944 (how do I know? tequila=loose lips=sunk ships). We will consider pwhex but more to limit Chungking than Rio's hoped for armada. We will also make sure that we have the latest patch and Beta.

!!Newbe question alert!!

The basic question is, does Scenario 2 have the ability for what I think is called a “turn 0” where every thing can be set-up before the first turn?

If I understand CT v. CF, correctly, they played non-historical but CT still had his Tfs at Pearl for turn 1. They are playing Scenario 1

When Rio and I played around with S-2 and turned off historical, all of the Tfs started in Japan. Is there any way I can stage my Tfs, say at San Diego before turn 1? The manual states “Vary Setup option has been disabled for Admiral’s Edition.” Am I talking about “Vary Setup”?

Thanks again everyone.

el lobo

[font="Arial"][/font]
El Lobo (J) vs Rio Bravo (A)
Rio Bravo's AAR - "The War College"
tm.asp?m=3851786

Gamey is not a game style. It is someone's definition.
Cribtop

Post by Cribtop »

ORIGINAL: Rio Bravo

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

OT - Cribtop is a Cowboys fan AND a lawyer. [X(]
We try not to hold that against him (the cowboy thing) but it's a heavy cross to bear. The whole lawyer thing, well that's different! [:D]

PaxMondo-

Hey now!

Lawyers are the most wonderful people: sensitive, loving, caring, considerate, compassionate, and loyal.

Most are Eagles fans.

Not sure how cribtop strayed off the good path to be a Cowboy's fan. He should be tarred and feathered!

*laughing*

-Terry
L/Cpl, U.S.M.C.; Ret.

Not sure how I missed this discussion, but remember I was also an appointed politician! That's got to be a trifecta of some kind. [:D]

As for the Cowboys (and the Longhorns), it is currently pretty hard living in the football Mecca of Texas and having to cheer for these hosers. Sigh. Texas will get fixed when Mack Brown retires, but Jerry and his son as Dictators for Life are trashing the 'Boys. More of a reality TV program than a football franchise at this point. [;)]

Finally, thanks for the kind words about my AAR. It has been quite a ride.
Cribtop

Post by Cribtop »

PS - El Lobo, you will never get a true, Avalon Hill style "set up phase" (I would love that if you did), but by playing non-historical start both sides can give orders that alter the Dec 7th turn. This is especially useful for Japan as you have several "magic move" convoys that can re-direct significant forces to various parts of the map.
Cribtop

Post by Cribtop »

PPS - Rio Bravo is your handle indicative of any Lone Star connections? Rio Bravo del Norte is the Mexican name for the river we call the Rio Grande on the US side.
el lobo

Post by el lobo »

Hi Tigercub,

Happy Loi Krathong.

Rio is right, we considered for a long time living in Chiang Mai. We finally settled on her land near Khon Kaen, near mom, sound familiar?

Chiang Mai is a beautiful part of the country and has the best Loi Krathong in the world, as you know. And the best pizza in the country too. That Auzi place on the corner near the East Gate across from Starbucks.

Ny59giants, PaxMondo, Cribtop,

Rio is one of THOSE too, and I don't mean Cowboys fan.

Thanks Cribtop. Now that I know, I will do more research. Rio, we may have to reconsider that historical opening.

el lobo (No part of the country, no ethnicity, just something that Rio has called me since we've known each other. Has to do with my real name.)[font="Arial"][/font]
tm.asp?m=3851786

Rio Bravo

Post by Rio Bravo »

ORIGINAL: Cribtop

PPS - Rio Bravo is your handle indicative of any Lone Star connections? Rio Bravo del Norte is the Mexican name for the river we call the Rio Grande on the US side.

Cribtop-

Rio Bravo was a western movie with John Wayne, Dean Martin, and Ricky Nelson. One of my favorites growing up and remains a favorite today.

Understand your pain being a Cowboy's fan. *chuckling*

Be well.

Regards,

-Terry
"No one throws me my own guns and tells me to run. No one."

-Bret (James Coburn); The Magnificent Seven
Rio Bravo

Post by Rio Bravo »

El Lobo-

Welcome and may you not run out of Saki before I take it!

Your pal,

-Terry

Itdepends

Post by Itdepends »

For a new player it's relatively easy for the Japanese to mess up by crashing their economy or falling behind on their initial expansion phase. If you haven't already played a PBEM using one of the smaller scenarios (e.g. Gualdalcanal) I'd suggest that first to get the mechanics down pat. I'd also suggest (if you're planning on playing each other for an extended period) considering a limited duration Scenario 1 campaign- say the first 3 or 6 months before committing to a "to the death" Scen 2 game.
el lobo

Post by el lobo »

Thanks Itdepends,

We have discussed that but we did not consider a limited S-1. I think it is a good idea. What do you think Rio?

el lobo
tm.asp?m=3851786

John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

ORIGINAL: Feltan

Fooey!

I like post it notes. I use them for WITP-AE all the time. As a result, it is one of the few activities in my life that is actually organized! The family can starve, the mortgage lapse and the lawn remain uncut -- but I damn well know that TF224 is supposed to go to Pago Pago on a resupply run.

So there!

Regards,
Feltan

*busting up*

Damn Feltan: You just about made me spew my tea with this one as I caught up on my thread reading. The same description you have Posted applies here in the John 3rd Household.

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.
Rio Bravo

Post by Rio Bravo »

ORIGINAL: Itdepends

For a new player it's relatively easy for the Japanese to mess up by crashing their economy or falling behind on their initial expansion phase. If you haven't already played a PBEM using one of the smaller scenarios (e.g. Gualdalcanal) I'd suggest that first to get the mechanics down pat. I'd also suggest (if you're planning on playing each other for an extended period) considering a limited duration Scenario 1 campaign- say the first 3 or 6 months before committing to a "to the death" Scen 2 game.

Itdepends-

El Lobo and I plan to play a smaller PBEM scenario for about a month before taking on Scenario 2.

But, at our ages (62 and 68), don't think it's a good idea to stretch that one month test out too much longer or when we play the "to the death", that might result in the game ending like May of '43. *laughing*

Regards,

-Terry

Rio Bravo

Post by Rio Bravo »

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

ORIGINAL: Feltan

Fooey!

I like post it notes. I use them for WITP-AE all the time. As a result, it is one of the few activities in my life that is actually organized! The family can starve, the mortgage lapse and the lawn remain uncut -- but I damn well know that TF224 is supposed to go to Pago Pago on a resupply run.

So there!

Regards,
Feltan

*busting up*

Damn Feltan: You just about made me spew my tea with this one as I caught up on my thread reading. The same description you have Posted applies here in the John 3rd Household.

John 3rd-

Same thing happened to me.

Feltan cracks me up.

Regards,

-Terry

Itdepends

Post by Itdepends »

No worries guys- enjoy your game and time on the forum. If you start a couple of AAR's I'm sure you'll be able to get any queries you have answered as you go.

Regards,

Daniel
Rio Bravo

Post by Rio Bravo »

ORIGINAL: Itdepends

No worries guys- enjoy your game and time on the forum. If you start a couple of AAR's I'm sure you'll be able to get any queries you have answered as you go.

Regards,

Daniel
Thanks, Daniel!

Return to “The War Room”